Sedentary or Lightly active???

Options
I have a question I would like some advice on. Right now I have my profile set on Lightly active. I am wondering if I should keep it at Lightly Active or sedentary. My hours at work (I'm a cashier) got cut and I'm now working 4 (sometimes 6) hours shift for maybe 3 or 4 days a week (Less then 24 hours a week now). I usually have to stand at the register unless its an hour before closing which I then have to walk around the store and pull items to the front of the shelf while still keeping an eye on the register. I am just now getting back to working out as I fell off the wagon for a few weeks... probably for a month now as well as counting my calories again. My plan is to work out at least 4 out of 7 days (hopefully more) and continue to getting back on track. When I'm at home, if I'm not doing laundry or dishes or exercising, I'm usually sitting on the couch watching t.v. or on the computer. I would really appreciate any advice given and I thank you in advance!

(Also, if I change it to sedentary, I would start wearing my pedometer to work again to help keep track of my calories lost as I'm walking around the store the last hour)

Replies

• DerpdyHerp
    Options
    Seems pretty sedentary to me. You say you're "exercising", so I guess depending on what you're doing here, you could possibly bump it up to lightly active. In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter much which one you pick here.

You might interested in:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    the difference between the two setting might just be 100 or so calories, try changing back and forth to see exactly what it is. when you were working more hours, were you losing weight and feeling good and lightly active or were you stalling?

If you are still going to 'stay busy' even with reduced working hours, I'd keep it the same, if you are truly going to veg then take it down....but first see what the exact difference is....you can also manually set your calorie goals and take the average between the 2!

Good Luck!
  • Maria_Goose
    Options
    That actually sounds lightly active. I mean, you stand when you work, then you hafta walk. You also work out. Definitely lightly active IMO.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'd just put "sedentary" and log my exercise.
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have popped mine at sedentary even though I generally work 4 to 5 mornings a week for 3/4 hours a shift.Its a very physical job but I dont log it or adjust my activities.I find this forces me to exercise and keeps me on track.If I get super tired I eat more.I put sedentary because I come home and park up.I guess its a personal choice,for me I need to know Ive put in the effort to workout or at least got up and done something,be it even a walk around the block.I have a tendency to slack off so this way,I have to take responsibility for any weight gain and respond accordingly.It also allows me the leeway for those days I fall off the wagon and blow my calories way off(happens quite often:).
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    Thank you all again for your advice!
  • ms_blonde_2008
    Options
    when you were working more hours, were you losing weight and feeling good and lightly active or were you stalling?

Honestly, I haven't really lost any weight within the past 3-4 months. like maybe a pound or two was lost but not anywhere near where it should have been and I was doing everything by the books. Counting calories, exercising like crazy and nothing helped to get the weight off. I think that is the reason why I feel off the wagon this past month... I got tired of doing everything right and nothing to show for it. Bumped my calories up, worked out less/more, and tried different workout routines. so pretty much, I've been stalling on lightly active.