IMPORTANT FOR DOUBLE DOUBLE DRINKERS!

Options
MY mother in law filled me in on this yesterday..she was watching Dr. Oz and he was taking a pole from his audience of how many people stopped and got a hot drink with "double double" as the milk and sugar additions. LITTLE DO WE KNOW...when you say DOUBLE DOUBLE to the Tim Hortons workers (or whatever your coffee joint is)...you are getting CREAM with SUGAR ALREADY ADDED...PLUS!!!MORE THEN 4 TABLESPOONS OF ADDITIONAL SUGAR!!!!
I'll admit..I am a tea junkie...an XL steeped tea double double from timmys everyday keeps me satisifed like a full pack of smokes to a cigarette smoker!
There is a little guide on the Timmys website that confirmed my fears...my daily tea...something I thought was only a little bit of a cheat turned into 280 calories and 14 grams of FAT!! Thats right...I was drinking 14 grams of fat in a CUP OF TEA!!!
If I cut this little bad habit completely out of my diet..I will loose an additional 20 pounds this year....just from that ONE thing leaving my day to day life!
I did some resarch.....I AM ADDICTED TO TEA! I can't live without it...plain and simple....so If I get a XL steeped tea from them...(0 calories), and ask for a SMALL MILK (10 calories, .3 grams of fat), and a MEDIUM SUGAR (35 calories)....then I cut my CALORIE intake from 280 (GROSS) to 45! and my fat intake from 14!!! to 0.3!!!!!!!! AMAZING and IT TASTES THE SAME...its just harder to explain to them....
PROBLEM SOLVED!! THANK YOU DR.OZ!!!!!
Today is day 1 of my test.....Ill post again in a weeks time and see if my weight loss has increased in any way, shape, or form.

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How does it taste the same? That much sugar would make me gag, and I think cream in tea is disgusting... I could definitely taste the difference.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    How does it taste the same? That much sugar would make me gag, and I think cream in tea is disgusting... I could definitely taste the difference.

your opinion, not hers. she likes it that way. you dont have to like it that way. ta-da.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about splenda? I have tim horton's tea almost every day as well (just finished one :) )

-My order is a large, with one milk and 2 sweetners, it's delish!!! and only 15 cals :)
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i used to live off of double doubles at Timmys. Now I roll with a small coffee, 1 sugar and 2% milk (they don't have nonfat milk) It went from 150 calories to just 55.
    Occasionally my boyfriend forgets and will buy me a double double and I cannot even drink it because of how sweet it is.. It's crazy!
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't go out for my tea, and drink it black with no sugar, no matter if it is black tea, or herbal. However, when I do drink sweet drinks Splenda is a must. I don't even have sugar in my sugar bowl anymore unless someone is coming to visit that uses it. Back to her double, double. I think she has found a great way to keep the drink she loves and cut the calories and fat; and that is the name of the game. If she dropped the tea altogether, or the sugar, she would crave it and then binge on double double. Great solution.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes.. I worked at Tim Hortons briefly and I learned a few tricks.

If I order Coffee/tea with anything in it (I usually order black) I ALWAYS ask for cream and sugar seperatly.. they do have the packets you just need to ask for them that way I can add as much or as little as I need.

We had one customer that ordered an XL coffee with 5 cream, 7 sugar.. you want to talk about gross.. that is gross.
  • MummaAimz
    MummaAimz Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    @Jarvis- I have tried splenda and I just can't stomach it....something about the taste stays on the back of my tongue all day..yuck! But thanks for the comment!!!
  • MummaAimz
    Options
    @ElizabethRoad- Cream in tea is fantastic....but BAD BAD BAD for you...I guess us farm raised Canadian cowgirls are spoiled with "rich" things like cream in milk :P..haha just poking fun...I love my double double but milk and a little sugar does me fine at home so it will do me just fine on the road as well!!
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    your welcome! i know it's not for everyone, maybe the tea would mask the taste though? what about a natural calorie free sweetener like stevia?
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm silently screaming over here, I can't believe they would already have sugar in with the cream. I typically always get a double double. Since I can't go there without ordering a donut though, I haven't been lately. Plus the last time I got an iced coffee & I swear there was a half inch of sugar on the bottom. YUCK!!!

& I do my tea with honey & half & half (earl grey is especially yummy)
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    @Jarvis- I have tried splenda and I just can't stomach it....something about the taste stays on the back of my tongue all day..yuck! But thanks for the comment!!!

coconut sugar is awesome and low gi.......I am a steeped tea drinker too same way....and if you add milk and coconut sugar....tastes EXACTLY the same....1 teaspoon 15 calories...4 grams of sugar no fat......yummmmm
  • MummaAimz
    Options
    Does tims have coconut sugar??or where can you get it?? im all excited now!
  • Gottastop
    Gottastop Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm interested too. So where can you find coconut sugar?
    coconut sugar is awesome and low gi.......I am a steeped tea drinker too same way....and if you add milk and coconut sugar....tastes EXACTLY the same....1 teaspoon 15 calories...4 grams of sugar no fat......yummmmm
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

your opinion, not hers. she likes it that way. you dont have to like it that way. ta-da.
    I didn't say anything about whether she should like it. I'm saying that a buttload of sugar compared to a medium sugar is a huge difference in taste, and cream compared to milk is a huge difference in taste. I don't see how it could possibly taste the same if your tastebuds work.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    @ElizabethRoad- Cream in tea is fantastic....but BAD BAD BAD for you...I guess us farm raised Canadian cowgirls are spoiled with "rich" things like cream in milk :P..haha just poking fun...I love my double double but milk and a little sugar does me fine at home so it will do me just fine on the road as well!!
    Hmm so you said it tastes the same with milk, but you also say cream is fantastic. Well I think you should make up your mind.

It's not a matter of being used to rich things like cream. I like cream in my coffee, but it so happens that cream overpowers the flavour of tea. People who use cream in their tea, it makes me suspect they don't even like tea.
  • hezzyfoofie
    hezzyfoofie Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Having worked as a manager at Tim Hortons (and therefore placing the order for the cream and milk) I can tell you that the cream does not already have sugar in it. It's simply cream. This is in Ontario. It may be different in different provinces and different chains. But think about it this way, if someone who only drinks cream in their coffee and no sugar (which I used to do before I switched to black) they would notice if a chain had sugar in the cream because they would taste the sugar.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    It's probably like Milk .. there's already sugar in it so cream is probably the same.
    Black is the way to go, LOL.