Make your own bread??

Options
Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
Anyone make your own bread? I'm trying to reduce my sodium and even "healthy" bread seems to have more sodium in it than I think it should have. Would homemade whole wheat bread have less sodium??

Replies

• AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I think that would depend on the ingredients. I attempted whole wheat bread once (I've discovered I'm not a good breakmaker) and I don't think it had more than a teaspoon of salt in the recipe.
  • kittyhorn
    kittyhorn Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use my breadmachine once in a while to make bread. As the PP said, most recipes don't have more than a tsp of salt.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I've baked a few loaves in my time. I used to try to make bread every Sunday. It ain't always easy. At least if you want it to taste good...

The reason for salt is because it just won't taste right without it, sorry to say. That's why you never see "Low Sodium Bread" in any stores. Without it the taste just isn't there and your left with a chewy, bland mess.

But experiment and see what works for you. I just know that anytime I didn't add salt it quickly became what I would consider inedible.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I was actually going to post a thread for low-cal breadmaker recipes. I hope someone out there has some to share.
  • bettybakescake
    Options
    One tsp of salt has about 2300 mg of sodium in it, though. And the flour has a little bit of sodium in it as well. (minimal)

I still think making your own bread will be healthier because of the preservatives added to store-bought bread. But you may need to do a bit of research if you wish to cut down on sodium.
  • anda2oo5
    Options
    i make my own bread and the best part of this is that u can control all the ingredients u use. i make it less salty every time, not more than 1 1/2 tbs of salt for 500 g of flour :) i love it!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Homemade bread will probably have less sodium than commercially made bread. However, if you do make your own DO NOT reduce the amount of salt in the recipe yourself. Salt is a very important component in bread making and actually controls how the yeast reacts with the sugars in the bread. You can probably find recipes with less salt in them, if you do, follow those recipes, (hopefully written by someone who knows a thing or two) otherwise you'll probably just be wasting your time and ingredients.
  • Athena413
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll consult the all-knowing google and see what kind of recipes I can find.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Try checking out the King Arthur Flour website. They have great recipes and an active message boards.
  • Athena413
    Options
    I had someone message me a few links they found with recipes - I'll try some out and let you all know how they go!