Trying new health foods

Options
I decided to start adding new "health foods" to my regular diet plan. I've heard a lot about homemade kale chips and how yummy they are. I've also heard how good natural peanut butter is for you, in comparison to the "unnatural" kind. I decided to make those two items my new foods for today. Talk about disgusting! I took one bite of the peanut butter sandwich and thought it was awful. But then decided to give my pallet some time and proceed with the rest of the sandwich. Halfway through I had enough, and my dog got the rest. So, the kale chips I thought had to be better. One bit of those and it wasn't too bad. After 3 or 4 I'd had enough of that too, and came to the realization that people who eat a diet primarily of "healthy foods" weren't skinny because of the nutritional quality of the foods they eat, but because the taste is so bad you don't go back for more!
Anyone else have a similar problem with healthy foods?
Does it just take time to develop a taste for these foods?
And is the higher cost, and worse taste of these foods really worth it?!

Replies

• GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sounds like something I would do!!! SO i Know I can mark those 2 "healthy" items off the list to try!!! Congrats on your 23 lbs weight loss!!!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    it is all a matter of what you are use to. I can not eat super processed foods becasue all I taste is salt! Good for you for giving new things a try, you will like somethings and not others.
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    With natural PB, since there isn't any added ingredients besides peanuts and salt, it's a very mild taste. I found that I liked it best when I made PB&J, using a natural fruit spread for added sweetness. You do just have to get used to it. Your body is just used to regular PB.

Can't say anything about the kale chips. I haven't had any luck in making them, which is a shame, because I really like Kale. Angela Liddon of www.ohsheglows.com has a kale chip recipe that she swears by. Apparently the trick is massaging olive oil into the chips and letting them hang out for a little bit to soften. I haven't tried this yet, but I hope to.
  • Sandikh
    Sandikh Posts: 116
    Options
    I tried Kale chips as well and found them to be DISGUSTING....! I'm not super big on "Natural" peanut butter either (I've always been a strictly JIF girl). I have been able to find a compromise on the peanut butter - but it took several tries. In general I eat pretty healthy, but like anything else, you need to find the things that YOU like. Its out there....you just have to give yourself time to find your groove..!
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Try Skippy Natural---it's great!!
  • cgraylyon
    cgraylyon Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you picked the wrong health foods. I don't like natural peanut butter or kale chips either. Try maybe some fresh deli salsa with reduced fat triscuit thins and a bit of 2% cheese on them. That is always a healthy snack I enjoy. My kids love kale steamed with a bit of light butter, but kale chips are disgusting. Another healthy snack we like is deli meat with fat free cream cheese spread on top then rolled around a pickle. I hope some of these ideas help. I have actually started my own cookbook that takes old favorites and turns them into healthy meals that my family will eat. Let me know if you want more ideas.
  • stanchfielda
    Options
    I decided to start adding new "health foods" to my regular diet plan. I've heard a lot about homemade kale chips and how yummy they are. I've also heard how good natural peanut butter is for you, in comparison to the "unnatural" kind. I decided to make those two items my new foods for today. Talk about disgusting! I took one bite of the peanut butter sandwich and thought it was awful. But then decided to give my pallet some time and proceed with the rest of the sandwich. Halfway through I had enough, and my dog got the rest. So, the kale chips I thought had to be better. One bit of those and it wasn't too bad. After 3 or 4 I'd had enough of that too, and came to the realization that people who eat a diet primarily of "healthy foods" weren't skinny because of the nutritional quality of the foods they eat, but because the taste is so bad you don't go back for more!

Hey! I hear ya about trying to find healthier foods--- but I make my own PB and absolutely love it! Did you make your own? Or buy one? I would be happy to share my recipe :-)
  • kerrifair
    kerrifair Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have found that the less processed foods are, the less likely I am to binge. I would eat a whole jar of regular peanut butter (with a spoon..) but the natural peanut butter leaves me with no urge to binge. The one I get is just peanuts. No salt or sugar added.
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options

You had me rolling! So funny, because I'm convinced of the same. However, keep trying different things. The less processed foods you eat the better... not everything tastes good right out of the bag, may need to add something to it. I like the earlier suggestion w/ a natural fruit spread and natural peanut butter. It's yummy - could be a brand thing. Good luck!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Taste is very plastic. Give healthy foods a shot and I bet if you have patience with it, you'll begin to love it.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I LOVE trader joe's all natural peanut butter. Can seriously eat it with the spoon straight out of the jar!!!
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've had some nasty "natural" peanut butters, but I kind of like the Skippy brand. I have yet to find the guts to try Kale chips. The thought kind of grosses me out. If I'm going to eat something natural, I usually go with fruit and vegetables. It's easier that way.
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Skippy Natural. It tastes like peanut butter, although my husband says there's a recognizable difference... I can't tell and I have a very sensitive pallet. That being said, in my quest of eating better, I've learned that it's a trial an error process - somethings you'll like, others is a COMPLETE miss. Good job in trying and keep on... you're bound to find a more healthy alternative to some foods you like.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I LOVE kale chips. The trick is to use lots of seasoning, you can flavor them so many different ways. My favorite is garlic powder, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. The first time I made them, I made them plain with a little salt.. and I thought they were awful.
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It was in the natural foods section of the grocery store. Bulk packaging with just a store label. Maybe i'll have to try one of the name brand kinds and see if that is any better!
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I switched from Jif this summer to natural organic peanut butter and was surprised that I didn't have harder adjustment. I switched my 2 and 4 year old sons as well (my 2 year old is super picky). They started asking for my peanut butter.
    Try not to compare natural to your old one. Just think of it as a different choice.
    Also, be sure that the peanut butter is stirred REALLY well.
    Maybe you could use that jar in baking and try a different brand the next time you feel brave - good luck!
  • rayettainutah
    Options
    Chia seeds is my new thing to eat. Supposedly as good as flaxseed and it was recommended on Dr. Oz
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I love natural peanut butter and almond butter. I have never had kale chips but do love sweet potato chips. I have been eat natural or organic for almost two years. I get my peanut butter in the health food section of the grocery store. Preservatives and many food additive are addicting and harmful to your health. Keep trying the natural and organic it is much better for you.

http://www.freedomyou.com/nutrition_book/enriched_fortified_synthetic_food.htm
    http://www.yourtruhealth.com/page/51/default.asp
    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dangers-of-food-additives-and-preservatives.html
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You think natural peanut butter is "disgusting"?
    Did you stir it up before you used it? Did you make sure to refrigerate it after you opened it?

No, I don't think healthy, real food is disgusting.

I'm this size because I don't munch on fast food and processed crap all day.
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Nutella...I have heard many people say its high in calories and fat but good for you..if that makes sense...lol I am trying to get my calorie intake to wear its supposed to be because I eat very few calories but not on purpose..I have alot to lose and want to do this right. people have suggested I eat avocado and peanut butter or nutella and I was afraid to put them on my diet because I thought they were not good for me(high in fat) but I have incorporated the avocado once in a while and happy to say it didnt make a difference in my weight losss and today I had went to the gym and wasnt hungry no breakfast and working out bad combination...felt light headed had some nutella and viola!!! Hope Im doing this right