Feeling Mighty... well... strange...

Options
Just have to post on this - when I first started counting (and cutting back!) calories, I found that I was hungry, but manageable. After about a week, I really didn't feel hungry anymore. It's been about 3 weeks now, and all of a sudden I'm feeling hungry all the time. I haven't upped my exercise since I started. I have lost some weight, and my calorie goal has gone down about 40 calories, but that shouldn't be that significant.

Then today, I don't feel hungry, but my stomach feels strangely empty, and I keep getting little stabbing pains. I'm assuming all this is normal as my body adjusts, I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through all these weird hunger patterns?

Replies

• schivis
    schivis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Dukan dieter (www.dukandiet.com) here so I do not count calories. I eat till I'm full and I'm never hungry. Not trying to gloat but hopefully am giving you an alternative to being hungry and/or stressing over counting calories.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I go through something similar depending on the time of the month, if you know what I mean. It would be great for you to track these feelings and look for a pattern over the next few months :)
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to add some fiber or protein, which keeps you full longer?
  • mjgregg12
    Options
    It happens to all of us when our bodies get used to a new way.

And to the Dukan dieter...hope you can keep up with that the rest of your life...that's why portion control and exercise are the only things that will ever work for the long haul, and of course, determination.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty much.. my hunger comes and goes and doesn't always make sense. Make sure you're drinking enough water and the big one is eating enough protein... if you get too hungry eat something small and full of protein. Just stick with it..
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've had the same thing happen depending on different times of the month and the intensity of my exercise. Sometimes it's completely random. I would take a look at your protein/fiber if you're feeling super hungry and maybe if you up one or both then it will help :)
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    A year later and I still feel this way once in awhile (maybe once every month and a half or so). It usually lasts a few days and is gone again. I don't know if it is the same for everyone.
  • ziggy_mommy
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I appreciate the comments and thoughts - sorry others are suffering through this too, but glad to know I'm not alone :).

And I'll give it a shot adding more fiber and protein to my diet - maybe that will help with these strange feelings!
  • courtclerkkris
    courtclerkkris Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    LADIES ONLY:

Funny you should ask this. I have been doing really well for several weeks. I had a cervical ablation so no more visits from Aunt Flo. And this past Monday and Tuesday I could have ate the wallpaper off the walls had my office had wallpaper. My urge to eat was UNBELIEVABLE. I kept telling myself that if this is the way it is going to be from here on out, I don't think I can resist this urge 24/7. Then once I realized it would have been that time of the month for me and those two days passed, I am back to normal. So my advise to you is just be strong and it will pass, I am sure of it. Just make sure to eat the suggested amount of calories that MFP tells you to and your body will adjust and those few days that haunt us women, we just have to be EXTRA strong and dedicated to get through. But God wouldn't have given it to us, if he didn't know we couldn't handle it, right???
    Well wishes my friend.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Dukan dieter (www.dukandiet.com) here so I do not count calories. I eat till I'm full and I'm never hungry. Not trying to gloat but hopefully am giving you an alternative to being hungry and/or stressing over counting calories.

The Dukan Diet actually seems to make the most sense out of many of the diets out there (I just had to google it) except for the first stage.

But, it’s been proven that eating less calories is the only way that will truly work to lose weight (and counting them makes sure you’re eating less). The Dukan Diet is just kinda doing it for you by giving you plans of what to eat (and leaving out processed foods with hidden junk). Check this out, this guy ate only junk food (TWINKIES) and a protein drink with multi vitamins and lost weight because he was counting calories and eating less calories (http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html). It’s less of WHAT you eat, but HOW MUCH you eat to lose weight.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For sure, I feel hungrier around the time of the month. I've been like a bottomless pit the last few days!!