Anti-Depressants & Weight Gain

Options

Replies

• midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    talk to your health care provider...lexapro generally has less side effects than some of the others. exercise and healthy diet will surely help depression but won't take the place of meds if they are needed. monitor your side effects closely and don't be afraid to speak up if you are not feeling better on them...may need to be switched or dose changed.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I just started taking a generic of Xanex for anxiety and I wondered if it could cause weight gain or prevent me from losing the weight I'm working my bum off to lose!!!! Anyone know???

I'm not really an expert at all, but I don't think I have heard of any weight gain issues with anti-anxiety drugs. I know stuff like that makes me really sleepy...and if I'm sleeping, I'm not eatin'! Haha! :)
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I experienced weight gain on Zoloft (as did some others I know of) but now that I'm on Prozac I am losing. Lexapro is supposed to cause less s/e than Prozac. Even if I couldn't lose the weight I'd have to be on it....Wellbutrin helped me to lose my first 5 lbs years ago (have had 2 babies since, hence the starting over LOL) but I had other problems with that one (trouble breathing) or I'd take it in a heartbreak.
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My DH went on Lexapro 6 months ago and has gained 25 lbs. He has a super high metabolism and trouble gaining weight in the past. That said, if you have crippling depression, it's worth it regardless. And it just may make you happy and motivated enough to eat well and exercise. When I was on zoloft I had no weight gain. All depends on the drug and the person taking it. If it's mild depression, you could do some research on natural alternatives (St Johns Wort, SAM-E, 5-HTP etc)

If you are on birth control pills and not taking B supplementation- you can get depressed. These pills deplete your natural stores of B vitamins (help with mood, metabolism etc) Exercise as silly as it sounds really does help. So does vitamin D.

Edited to add: Just noticed your issue is anxiety. Zoloft works well for that as well as do the drugs above. Also check your birth control pills- I spent 15 years with major anxiety and it was all caused by my birth control.

I totally agree. It really does depend on the drug and the person. Personally, I gained 7 pounds within two months of taking Lexapro. I suppose that's not too bad but it just kept creeping up. It's hard though, because you want to feel better, but you don't want to gain weight, either.

I also agree with the natural alternatives. I have heard really great things about 5-HTP and one of the common side effects is weight loss. Since you can get it at the health store, you can monitor and increase/decrease your dosage as you see fit instead of having to get various prescriptions, etc. I'd definitely check with your doctor first, though, to see if they think it may work for you. Depression and anxiety cannot be ignored, for sure. I've suffered with it for most of my life, and it's not a fun thing at all. :(
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 lbs while taking Lexapro. I slowly got myself off it. turns out my thyroid was so out of wack was really at the root of my depression, but instead of listening to me, the doctor pushed antidepressants at me. Even after stopping it, it took a very long time for me to get rid of the extra weight. Good luck!

7820655.png

The same thing happened to me in regards to the doctor not listening to me, pushing antidepressants and turned out to be my thyroid. Another doctor checked my thyroid thank goodness. Oh, I gained 45 pounds but so far, MFP is helping get it off.
  • lookpretty
    lookpretty Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I dont know your personal situation therefore wont tell you if choosing this type of medication is in your best interested but I did Celexa and put on 20 pounds and ended up not liking the effects of the drug, instead of not being depressed I didnt feel much of anything and felt like I was in a bubble, but now I drink coffee liberally (decaf most of the time), coffee is a mild antidepressant, if I feel moody I drink St Johns Wort tea (doc says its ok for me but its not a good choice for everyone) it gives me bizarre dreams though, but mostly I have started to try natural stress relieving techniques. For me a lot of the depression was caused by birth control which I took an extreme solution and started dating a guy whos had a vasectomy to get off of them, good luck, it you need the meds weight gain shouldnt be a factor, if its optional to take them maybe try more natural alternatives
  • owlesque
    Options
    I've been on 125mg of Zoloft and 450mg of Wellbutrin for a couple years now. I've been on Zoloft a few times, actually. It always makes me gain weight. It zaps my energy and increases my appetite--not a good combination! It's been great for my anxiety, but now I'm gradually getting off of it and hoping that my cognitive coping mechanisms will keep the anxiety in check. Down to 75mg now and decreasing by 25mg every week.

Wellbutrin doesn't have the physical effects on me that Zoloft does, and my depression is way more manageable on Wellbutrin, so I'm staying on that. I also take medicine for hypothyroidism (which reminds me, I need to get my thyroid checked again).

I don't think weight gain is "officially" listed as a side effect of Zoloft, but I've heard about tons of people who have that happen to them, and I know from experience. People react differently to antidepressants, though--it's a very individual thing.
  • itsrebeccadarling
    Options
    Well I'm on mirtazapine its a tetracyclic antidepressant so a bit different but its about the 8th pill they tried me on and the only one which lets me even think about functioning normally. Unfortunately its also used as an appetite stimulant - which trust me I need absolutely no help in stimulating that. I just wanted to say that sometimes mental health has to be a bigger priority than your weight, and I know how hard it can be to face that.
    Its tough to remember that our weight is (I know in my case) a symptom of all my other problems just as much as it is a consequence of over eating. And now that I am working on my other problems I can find the strength to tackle the over eating too. Yes my medication makes it harder for me to resist temptation, but it isn't easy living with my depression, it isn't easy dealing with my depression and it sure as hell isn't easy to loose weight with any of these things going on, but if you have got help and are tackling your issues then you know you are strong and brave enough to face getting health,y as hard as it is.
    xx
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I went from 155 (skinny as a 6'1" guy) to 220 while taking Paxil for 1 year. However, my eating and excercise habits also went down the tube during this period so not sure what caused it. I can tell you that I will never take anti-deppresants again though. Vigorous excercise works much better and does not have all of the horrid side effects.
  • Arynamber
    Arynamber Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I gained 15 pounds on Lexapro in less then two months.. and I know some people LOVE Lexapro but it made me fill DRUNK! I am now on Welbutrin, no weight gain and I LOVE it!
  • dkueter94
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. I just started taking a generic of Xanex for anxiety and I wondered if it could cause weight gain or prevent me from losing the weight I'm working my bum off to lose!!!! Anyone know???

I'm not really an expert at all, but I don't think I have heard of any weight gain issues with anti-anxiety drugs. I know stuff like that makes me really sleepy...and if I'm sleeping, I'm not eatin'! Haha! :)

Thank you!!! :) I had googled it and checked out a few websites, but the information I found was basically some do, and some don't. If Xanex is taken for depression people are more likely to gain weight it said, but if taken for anxiety only a small percent of people did. I was just curious if anyone had taken Xanex and had that side effect. So far I haven't, but I haven't been taking it very long and I don't take it every day. So will have to wait and see I guess. I just know I will be REALLY upset if I keep working my butt off, keep track of what I am eating, and gain!!!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I'll tell you what I can from my own experience. I live a nightmare of 3 years seeing various doctors trying to fix me and after all that, this is what I know. I'm not sure what symptoms you're having so I'll tell you what I'd do if you haven't already. I gained about 50 lbs during pregnancy and then another 60 afterwards very quickly.

1. Get bloodwork done and have your thyroid checked. The symptoms of hypothyroid are fatigue and depression. In addition to depression you may have this and it could be making it worse and causing more weight gain. A daily hormone pill can adjust this.

2. If you are irritable and exhausted, get checked also for sleep apnea.

3. Antidepressants are all different. If you don't feel well on one, try others and do your best to be patient until they start working.

4. If none of the antidepressants work or make you feel even worse, ask about bipolar and mood stabilizers. Bipolar disorder is very underdiagnosed.

I can't say if the depression meds made me gain weight or not. I had slow thyroid and was eating close to 2500 calories a day because i felt so terrible and food was my crutch.

If you need the meds, please take them and don't let the weight gain thing turn you off about getting treated. Suffering from depression is no way to live. Good luck (((HUGS)))
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    4. If none of the antidepressants work or make you feel even worse, ask about bipolar and mood stabilizers. Bipolar disorder is very underdiagnosed.

I agree with this. I am bipolar and while I am able to take an anti-depressant, I also have to take a mood stabilizer. I have never felt better, but it takes a lot of trial and error when finding the right psychiatric drug for you. My husband and I are both bipolar (we were undiagnosed when we got married). Off-topic here, but our children have a 75% chance of being bipolar as well. We already see signs in both at ages 12 & 10.
  • MiracleAngel20
    MiracleAngel20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Zoloft for a while. I have seen weight gains of as much as 2.3 pounds a week while on it, so I took myself off. It's the stuff the doctors don't tell you that usually drives you nuts! This is my fourth attempt at weightloss, and I don't want anything standing in my way!
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm on Paxil and have been having a lot of trouble with weight loss ever since I started.
  • kjraye5
    kjraye5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I did not want to take anything for fear of weight gain as well. My doctor put me on 150 mg of Wellbutrin and 10 mg of Celexa (both the generic) b/c she said the Wellbutrin has been known to cause weight loss so the combination will take the chance of weight gain away. So far I have been on them for a few months and have not gained any weight. Since starting this site I am actually losing weight again.

Believe me I am one to gain weight on these drugs and this combination has not put any extra weight on me. Now I realized that everyone is different, but I am very happy.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have been weaning off Citolopram which is the generic Celexa. My doctor told me that Lexapro breaks down to Celexa in your bloodstream.

I switched to taking L-trytophan instead and hope to see a difference in weight. The mood has been the same with the L-trytophan.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I take lexapro. Have been for a while. Didn't cause weight gain for me-- pregnancy did.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Don't take it. Run instead. Infact, msg me. I'll help you. I had post partum depression after each of my kids, and only after my third one did I consider exercise. I assure you this anti-depressant won't cause weight gain ;)
    Wow, that is irresponsible advice. Telling someone to ignore their doctor is not OK.

Agreed.

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "
  • hiddensunshine
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat.

I was assaulted by a client while working, and now am suffering from a Traumatic Brain Injury, PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety.

I was started on 50mg of Zoloft initially to help with Post-Concussive syndrome, before they actually figured out what was going on. I'm now taking 100mg of Zoloft and have noticed a few changes. First, I have more energy to get up and actually do more physical activities. Before starting the medication (and while I was letting my brain heal) I was incredibly sedentary and gained 15+ pounds. Since the med increase, I've been exercising more and feeling more human. Second, I've been able to drop 8 pounds, but I feel like I should be seeing more results than I have.

My recommendation is this: it doesn't hurt to try. Give yourself a month, and if you've noticed weight gain or it isn't helping, as your doctor for another option. There are TONS! And most important, your mental health is equally important to your physical health. Good luck!