Misdiagnosed for years...

Options
Hi all, haven't introduced myself before, but I've been lurking around for about a month. For years I have been really tired all of the time and had absolutely no get up and go. I had had 1/2 of my thyroid removed, but was taking synthroid to offset loss. The Doc's kept telling me I was in normal levels whenever I complained and the weight balloned on. I fired my second Doc about a month ago when he wouldn't try and supplement the synthroid with synthetic T3. Found a Doc that would. It's amazing how much difference a little 5 mg pill can make!

Now I have energy and I am trying to get back into shape. I do have a heart condition that makes me get out of breathe easy (Doc says can exercise until I am moderately out of breathe) and scoliosis with a couple of disks that have gone south. Does anyone have any suggestions on exercises that I might be able to do without causing my back to go haywire?

Replies

• meecheeda
    Options
    Hi all, haven't introduced myself before, but I've been lurking around for about a month. For years I have been really tired all of the time and had absolutely no get up and go. I had had 1/2 of my thyroid removed, but was taking synthroid to offset loss. The Doc's kept telling me I was in normal levels whenever I complained and the weight balloned on. I fired my second Doc about a month ago when he wouldn't try and supplement the synthroid with synthetic T3. Found a Doc that would. It's amazing how much difference a little 5 mg pill can make!

Now I have energy and I am trying to get back into shape. I do have a heart condition that makes me get out of breathe easy (Doc says can exercise until I am moderately out of breathe) and scoliosis with a couple of disks that have gone south. Does anyone have any suggestions on exercises that I might be able to do without causing my back to go haywire?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I can understand what you have been going through. I don't have any great suggestions on exercise I am interested to find out what others say myself. Glad you are here and hope you have a great deal of luck.

Eve
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    meecheeda, welcome to the group!

You are off the wall with anything I know about, but if anyone here does, you can be sure of support. It's a great community af MFP. :)
  • ranibauer
    Options
    Water exercises are probably the best because they are so low impact. Welcome to MFP!
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    hi,

I agree that water excersise is probably the best for you. I do not know much about your condition but I know alot of people who suffer from arthritis and other alingments affecting the bones much perfer doing water aerobic as you are weightless in the water there is no real impact on your bones but you still get a great cardio workout. You may want to took into a trainner before you attempt any strengh training you will want to learn how to do the excerises properly in order to not hurt yourself. You could also try consulting with a physio therepist as they may have specific excersises you can do that will help to strenghten your back muscles.
    good luck and keep us posted
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, water! My only other suggestion is try to find a Y or other center with a heated pool. The key is a "theraputic" temperature (I think this is 80 F). I did water physical therapy, and this was key to helping the pain.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    See? =)
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    try the bean at bean.com; its supposed to be great for back pain. also when you do exercises it allows you to feel the burn without the neck strain, etc. i bought it a couple of weeks ago and i can see a difference in my stomach from doing abs on it.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I also have severe back, neck and hip problems due to a car accident. I also have suffered a heart attack so I know what u mean about what kind of exercises can I do. Tai chi is one that I use, very gentle but surprisely rewarding. I also have exercises from the pain clinic I went to, I will try to see if there is a way I can scan them and show them somehow???? Very low impact but definitely make a difference. I'm not sure if that is possible because there is no attachment feature to this kind of message board????
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Because of my car accident I now suffer from fibromyalgia, just an added bonus for me right......not! Anyway welcome and try the tai chi it is very relaxing.