What to do when - Eating out but no nutrition info avail.

Options
Hi! I am really good about eating healthy when preparing my own food, but we eat out a lot on the weekends and mostly at places that are not chains, so they don't have nutrition information on their menu items available. I always thought chosing the salad with chicken was a good idea, but after reading a few books on what not to order, I see they're not always the safe bet.

What are some good tactics when eating out when the nutrition info isn't available?

Thanks
amie

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I estimate, only eat half and save the other half, or pick a similar entry. :)
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    do you have a smart phone? google.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a no seasoned steak or chicken breast with steamed vegs and a baked potato or a backed sweet potato. A salad...what u know is healthy.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am really good about eating healthy when preparing my own food, but we eat out a lot on the weekends and mostly at places that are not chains, so they don't have nutrition information on their menu items available. I always thought chosing the salad with chicken was a good idea, but after reading a few books on what not to order, I see they're not always the safe bet.

What are some good tactics when eating out when the nutrition info isn't available?

Thanks
    amie

eat what you like and enjoy your meal, if you must guesstimate and log those cals and get back on track the next day. nothing wrong with eating above maintenance every now and then
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Broiled, roasted or grilled chicken fish or meat are a good choice with a side of veggies and a broth based (not creamy) soup are always a good idea. Salads have way to many extras in them and the dressing is usually a killer.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a no seasoned steak or chicken breast with steamed vegs and a baked potato or a backed sweet potato. A salad...what u know is healthy.

This. I will almost always get a steak and steamed veggies. :)
  • Elli8709
    Options
    I uaully try to get a small portion of fish and veggies or a salad. The biggest killers for me are appetizers, mixed drinks, cokes, and pastas. I figure If i just stay away from those things then I should be okay. Also, we eat out a lot too, and if my boyfriend is really hungry I automatically ask for a to go box put half of my meal in it (out of sight out of mind) and take it home for the next day. Also, my sisters and I have started sharing meals when we go eat. Saves money and you're only eating half. Good luck!
  • coqui2010
    coqui2010 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What I do for example if it is a bar and grill then I'll choose something grilled like a wrap or sandwich with no sauce and no cheese (or bacon...etc) just plain and ask for the sauce on the side; then I get a side salad on the side =)

If you are going to Mexican, Italian, or Asian then I do what @sc1572 does; I use a similar entry and eat half the portions to be safe.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. BEWARE of sauces. A salad is great, chicken is great. but if they are doused in a sweet or a creamy sauce, then you've got LOTS of calories right there. Also, I tend to share meals if I suspect they may be high in calories. Ie burger and fries (I normally split with my daughter or boyfriend). Later I google the calories and I am soooo happy to cut the amount in half when logging :)

When in complete doubt, just simply push half of the portion to once side of the plate and vow not to eat that half. OR, fill up on the meat and vegetables on the plate, and leave the carbs (such as pasta) untouched.

Make a mental recollection of what you ate, and google it once home.

xox
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    Forgot to mention...if an appetizer is ordered (such as a hot cheesy artichoke dip... DANGER!), i will ensure I have my own little plate and I will take 2 tblsp of the dip and 10 chips for example, and I will eat that and enjoy every bite. But, I don't touch any more than that. xo
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    do you have a smart phone? google.

Beside MFP, the Figwee ap can come in handy. It helps visualize portion sizes.
  • coqui2010
    coqui2010 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention...if an appetizer is ordered (such as a hot cheesy artichoke dip... DANGER!), i will ensure I have my own little plate and I will take 2 tblsp of the dip and 10 chips for example, and I will eat that and enjoy every bite. But, I don't touch any more than that. xo

I do this too!!! You can't deny yourself everything =) Enjoy it then you won't feel bad about it later.