They said it would happen. It did. The plateau :(

Options
After making remarkable strides in my weight loss efforts starting on Feb. 7, 2011, and losing 30 pounds, I am now literally stuck at my current weight since mid August. It's a great weight of 135 lbs (I'm 5'3"), don't get me wrong, but I am at 35% BF and I need to reduce. I'm carrying most of it in the tummy area. I have been running and working hard on the aerobic side (just ran my 4th five km run of the year! easily!) and I can definitely see better definition in my muscles, arms and legs are leaner as I also do weights, but the scales don't show much. Anymore.

I just joined a new gym and got a fitness assessment, and he suggested adding WAY more protein to my diet. He indicated I now need to focus on nutrition and weights in order to reduce.

Thoughts? Anyone else experience this? Am I too stuck on the emphasis on the scales?

Replies

• GibsonDarlin
    GibsonDarlin Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Your trainer's advice sounds like what I have been reading on these community forums, give it a whirl!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't like to say as I'm not a qualified to do so but just wanted to say congratulations on all the changes you've made to your life and health, and I'm sure you're determined enough to find a way out of your plateau in no time at all, well done!
  • adpollard001
    Options
    DOn't live by the scale: the numbers can be misleading. If you have been training and doing great, yes you'll hit the wall, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The last few pounds ar always the hardest, but I'd focus on the diet and nutrition aspect for awhile, make sure you're as healthy as you can be. Muscle vs fat, water weight, time of day, etc...different things affect the scale. It's a good ballpark to use, but don't rely on it too much. Get healthy, stay motivated, and ask around. Sometimes all you need to get past the wall is to completely change everything you're doing haha If you eat the same foods and do the same workouts, you're body gets used to it and the results are harder to get. Muscle confusion works wonders, and changing the diet around will help.
  • OSUloulou
    OSUloulou Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So ironic you posted this today. I just got my measurements done this morning at the gym and while I lost weight, my trainer told me that I lost more muscle than fat this time around. I was TICKED off! I am at the gym 5 days a week doing cardio and weight training and I wanted my muscles back:( That being said, she told me that it is a sign that I might be getting ready to plateau (metabolism) and suggested I eat more often and more protein. I am not sure that I helped you by replying to this thread, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone!
  • RisOnTheRun
    RisOnTheRun Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I have been running and working hard on the aerobic side (just ran my 4th five km run of the year! easily!)

The fact that you ran your fourth 5k "easily" may be a hint--you burn a lot more calories running 5k when you're out of shape and carrying 165 pounds compared to running a 5k when you're in shape and only carrying 135 pounds. I'd say follow your trainer's advice as far as nutrition and weights, but also kick up (or mix up) your cardio so that you're really pushing yourself.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 30 lbs lost!

I agree with the others... step away from the scale. ;-)

As for moving past your plateau, you may find this old thread helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner?hl=relatively+light
  • jess213tx
    jess213tx Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work for a large company and they provide a fitness coach to give out advice on a company-wide level, while also answering individual questions. When I hit my plateau, she told me to increase my protein to 100 grams per day (eating 20 grams every 3 hours) and to focus on weight training at least 3 days a week. Once I took her advice, the pounds immediately started coming off again.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Protein! I was stuck at 162 lbs for quite awhile. Started drinking more protein shakes, even on rest days, and it broke my plateau. I work at a group fitness center, and got the tip from the owner. I had read it before on here, but was very leary. Now I'm a believer.
  • prettyinpinkagain
    prettyinpinkagain Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone! Thanks for responding so quickly.....:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Scale back on the cardio and hit the weights heavy and hard. Shoot for .8 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

Read the starvation mode and plateau sections at a minimum.
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    I honestly thought I was reading my own story. I started losing in January, a pound per week.Had lost 30 pounds until my plateau. I haven't lost much if anything since August, and I like you am very discouraged. But I haven't given up yet. I have been trying different things to get back on a losing streak and haven't found it yet. Hope you kick the plateau soon and let us know what you did to do it..Good Luck...a fellow plateauer..
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    www.body-improvements.com/resources/eat

Read the starvation mode and plateau sections at a minimum.

Just read this article- GREAT! Thanks for posting!!!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to read it. Glad you were able to take something away from it.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    One thing to know is that the more you do certain exercises, you will not burn as many calories as you once were.
    So you may be eating back exercise calories that you did not actually burn.

Or you could be building muscle weight faster than you are burning fat.

also, sometimes when this happens I will do a day or two where I eat very little processed stuff like bread

i will do a HUGE dinner of all fish, like a whole pound of fish to myself. And maybe some all natural oatmeal.
    Something you body will process all really fast.

that same day I will do a ton of cardio and walking.

the high protein and easy to digest grains seems to get things moving.

also, drink TONS of water.