Any health professionals here?

Options
A lot of people say they arent doctors or health professionals.

Are there any on here?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    There are many. I am not one of them. But I know some.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Certified Trainer here.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I stayed in a Holiday Inn express last night!

Only kidding, I am an RN.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a health researcher........I will have a PhD soon but not an MD
  • diana160
    Options
    I am a registered nurse.....Diana
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    RN. i work in an internal medicine office. have been an RN for 18 years.
  • Michelle_C_
    Options
    I am a registered nurse, I work in a surgical acute care unit and on a regular surgical ward... Why do you ask?
  • firebatongirl
    Options
    Nurse Practitioner
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I have my PhD in pharmacology (emphasis on neuroscience).
  • emmiee921
    emmiee921 Posts: 224
    Options
    I was asking as many topics I have seen people give advice on they always say "I'm
    By no means a health professional" I just want to see some advice given by people who really know.

A common topic "is if you eat less then 1200 you will go in starvation mode"

What do you think ?
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I was asking as many topics I have seen people give advice on they always say "I'm
    By no means a health professional" I just want to see some advice given by people who really know.

A common topic "is if you eat less then 1200 you will go in starvation mode"

What do you think ?

Depends on how you define "starvation mode".... and unfortunately, I have a bit of trouble seeing the forest for the trees (probably because I don't even see the trees... I look at the bark, or the leaves, or the roots). I know a lot about things on the cellular, molecular, and biochemical level... but I have a harder time looking at the whole system.

Still... if by "starvation mode", you mean that your body will begin hoarding your fat reserves and burning everything but fat... as far as I know, that doesn't happen until you're fat reserves have dropped drastically. But if by "starvation mode" you mean your metabolism will slow down... yes, I think that does happen when your restrict calories too much.

More important to me is that you just don't function optimally on a low calorie diet... you don't think as clearly, you don't have enough energy, you just don't do as well as you would do if you were only restricting a little bit.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have said it better!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

More important to me is that you just don't function optimally on a low calorie diet... you don't think as clearly, you don't have enough energy, you just don't do as well as you would do if you were only restricting a little bit.
    Thanks for sharing this. I needed to see that, especially since it is coming from a healthcare professional.
  • dryfli
    dryfli Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    a common topic here is the calorie goals. i think certainly each person has a different bar for many many reasons. current weight and height, loss goals for each week, etc... but many will tell you there is a certain 'break even' point. for some it might be 1200 cals others, higher or lower depending on so many things. you will find as you start your journey here what works for you. i found that i was supposed to be on 1200 cals/day oer MFP. i exercise a few times per week and try to make sure i eat back my calories to keep my net where it should be. i plateaued at 9 lb loss a bit ago and just couldn't break thru. after reading posts, i found that it would be a worthwhile try to increase my cals for each day. so i have upped it to 1300 cals. not a big up, but it seems to be setting me at a better metabolic zone, and i have started losing again. every person has that ideal calorie level. you need to find yours. it is the point at which you are in a deficit, but have your metabolism working at the optimum level needed for weight loss. good luck!!
  • i am ALMOST an RN woohoo :)
  • ant_man
    ant_man Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a degree in nutrition and applied to became an associate Nutritionist..
  • Land310
    Options
    I am a registered nurse manager for occupational health services in a 3 hospital network. This website really makes me aware of what I am eating and write it down. So far I lost almost 15 pounds but fluctuate up a pound or two and then down again. So far so good. Being a nurse makes me more knowledgable but like everyone else, I have temptations in the kitchen also.Good luck to everyone!
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    I'm certainly not accusing anyone on this thread of lying - that you all are who you say you are is probably true. But I'd be very wary of trusting that anyone on an internet forum has any particular qualification. People do go onto the internet and pretend to be doctors. If you have a medical question it's always best to ask someone you know for certain has the qualifications.
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    I'm an Exercise Scientist
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I'm certainly not accusing anyone on this thread of lying - that you all are who you say you are is probably true. But I'd be very wary of trusting that anyone on an internet forum has any particular qualification. People do go onto the internet and pretend to be doctors. If you have a medical question it's always best to ask someone you know for certain has the qualifications.

Sure... and that's why everyone should do a little self-educating. Do a bit of reading. Study some credible resources (not the hocus-pocus give-me-money fad diet books out there, but real science). You can generally tell the knowledgeable people from the con-artists, and even if you can't, if the con-artists are giving good advice, there's no harm in reading what they say and thinking about it.

I'd never advocate blind-obedience to someone just because they have a degree or a certificate. That even goes for the medical doctors that you see face-to-face.