pedometer?

Options
I sometimes feel that i have burned more calories than i actually see on the treadmill. Would a pedometer be more accurate? If so, which is the best kind to get?

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    nope, a heart rate monitor would be the best thing. Pedometers just measure the number of steps, they don't make particularly personal measurements to calculate what your body did.
    People have pedometers to make a basic calculation of the number steps they make during the day including work and all that. So they are a fun and useful too for that, but not a very accurate calculation of calories burned. A heart rate monitor is designed just to be worn during exercise - so they are kind of different things, with different uses.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    oh and i should specify - a heart rate monitor that has a chest strap. You may have one that comes with the treadmill but i find they are not as accurate as the chest strap ones.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    dirtbooksun is absolutely, completely, 100% spot on. :)
  • teemarania
    Options
    When I had a trainer at 24 hour fitness, he let me use his bodybugg. i loved it! it tracked how many calories i burnt each day and gave me weekly comparison. it also really helped me to be aware of what i ate, and made it more fun to exercise. however, it's really expensive, and you still have to pay a monthly fee to use their website. i'm looking into investing in the fitbit wireless activity tracker. It's only $90 and you don't have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use their website!
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I am preparing for gastric by pass surgery and seeing a nutritionist regularly. She gave me the name of a pedometer that is sensitive enough for a close fitting pocket. I am putting my pedometer in my athletic sock, mainly because my pockets are not tight and getting looser?? :-) Look into this: Sportline Digital Pocket Pedometer. I found it online at Walmart and it was in stock at my local store, so I went right over. It also tells me how many calories I've lost. It's pretty good. Look it up online at Walmart. Good luck. :happy: