Depression, Anxiety and Eating

Options
Hey everyone, I suffer from frequent bouts of severe depression and anxiety attacks which have left a negative impact on my eating habits. There are times when I feel so nauseous and out of it that I can go the entire day without eating. It's hard to stay healthy when I sometimes have such a hard time eating something as simple as toast. Does anyone else have a similar problem, or can offer any advice? Thanks so much! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have you considered seeing a therapist?
  • canadianchick11
    Options
    Yes, I see a therapist and dietician but sometimes I just have bad days like this :frown:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i have sort of the same problem, but with opposite effects.
    Iv never been do a doctors about it, or got happy pills, or talked to anyone about it.
    But for the last like 10 years i just dont see the point in life, and tbh if i hadnt of met my fiance i would of just killed myself ages ago, and believe me i tryed.
    But since my fiance i have really happy spouts, and really sad spouts, for a while his perants though i was bi-polar. But thats calmed down and now i always come off as just a little bit miserable..
    And when i go out, i get so nervous, like people are judging me, like everyone has it out for me. I dont want to leave my house without pete, so if i can help it i wont ever leave the house.

But instead of this nervousness and depression stopping me from eating, it makes me comfort eat.
    Like when im out il buy a drink or some food, so my hands are doing something, so there not so awkwardly hanging there, etc..

I dont really know if theres a way to stop it, but i dont know if its anything like what u have.

Also randomly i only come off in person as miserable, when i type normally people say i sound like bubbly and hypo.. Its just a little weird..
  • tmorse7
    tmorse7 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have also struggled with depression and in the past I have had some anxiety issues, although the anxiety was situational. When I've had bad days I try to keep a time line of the day when possible because I had a hard time remembering what I did, ate, if I took my meds etc. I'm sure your therapist has already given you plenty of the coping mechanisms. One thing you could try is to get a good whey protein to make yourself a healthy shake so that you at least know you're getting that in. There are plenty of good ones out there but I use the Unjury protein or Shakeology. I'm sure you can google them if you're interested. Also good to have on hand are the blender bottles - they are plastic bottles with a little wire ball inside so you just put in your skim milk anad protein supplement and shake it up - fast and easy! I know it's super hard when you struggle like that. Feel free to add me if you ever need a friend to chat with!
    Terri
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want. I have a lot of the same problems. Mine is more opposite then you with the eating habits however.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. You aren't alone.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My partner gets this sometimes - I've had it very occasionally. All the therapy and medication in the world won't help sometimes. My partner just tries to settle his stomach with ginger tea and ginger beer, tries to eat what he can (even if he doesn't really feel like it), and he eats more when he's feeling better.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    *double post*
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't really have much advice, but I hope you find relief. Just do the best you can. It might help if you focus more on regulating your emotions before you worry too much about food and weight loss. It sounds like the emotions are part of the cause. I know that's easier said than done though. Like I said, I hope things get better for you.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I struggle with anxiety daily... I went through a time where I had debilitating panic attacks several times a day and during that time I had severe depression. I know how difficult it is... please message me if you need to talk.
    Without knowing your specific kinds of anxiety it's hard for me to give advice, so we can definitely talk more so I can understand what you're going though. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this... stay strong. It does get better.
  • ABetterBalance
    Options
    I really wish I had some good advice for you. I am trying to deal with this same problem.

Pre-planning and pre-making my meals helps on some days. When there is very little effort that needs to go into it, I am more likely to eat. Also having some things on hand that can be grab-and-go.
  • judykritikos
    Options
    I get anxious when I think of the FUTURE. Not the present. I'm reading to stay in the NOW. We want to jump ahead. We're afraid. Fear leads us to the future. What if this or what if that. When you start to go there - I keep saying OVER AND OVER AND OVER: Let Go-Let God. It may take 100 times, but it's what brings me back to the now. One minute at a time. Works for AA and other groups like that. Anxiety, if not medically caused, can be overcome -and like not eating (or forcing yourself to eat when you're not) is not easy, otherwise we'd all be perfect size 10's. Find a mantra that works for you, sit down, eyes closed, feet on the floor and slow deep breaths. Good luck.
  • fordster99
    fordster99 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    i have sort of the same problem, but with opposite effects.
    Iv never been do a doctors about it, or got happy pills, or talked to anyone about it.
    But for the last like 10 years i just dont see the point in life, and tbh if i hadnt of met my fiance i would of just killed myself ages ago, and believe me i tryed.
    But since my fiance i have really happy spouts, and really sad spouts, for a while his perants though i was bi-polar. But thats calmed down and now i always come off as just a little bit miserable..
    And when i go out, i get so nervous, like people are judging me, like everyone has it out for me. I dont want to leave my house without pete, so if i can help it i wont ever leave the house.

But instead of this nervousness and depression stopping me from eating, it makes me comfort eat.
    Like when im out il buy a drink or some food, so my hands are doing something, so there not so awkwardly hanging there, etc..

I dont really know if theres a way to stop it, but i dont know if its anything like what u have.

Also randomly i only come off in person as miserable, when i type normally people say i sound like bubbly and hypo.. Its just a little weird..

I am the same way