Heart Rate Monitor

Options
I'm wondering if heart rate monitors are worth the money, and if so, what kind is best?

Replies

• AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Worth every penny!!! I LOVE it!! Can't exercise without it. Its the best exercise tool ever. My heart rate gets too high sometimes. and was great for watching it when I was pregnant. Never have to guess your calories, because you know exactly how many you burned. And you can watch your fitness progress. And you can make sure you are pushing yourself hard enough too.
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    bump
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    YES YES a thousand times yes they are worth it if you are serious about losing weight and/or getting in shape. Always get one with a chest strap (no watch only garbage), and Polar is a good reliable company. Their FT1 is a good basic model that costs about $75 full price and I've seen it on sale as low as $50.

Edit: the FT1 does not cal your cals burned for you but that's not a dealbreaker to me. There are lots of ways to figure your cals easily from the average heart rate it gives you. If you want it to tell you cals burned, get the FT2.
  • Lfinch08
    Lfinch08 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Where is a good place to buy one at?
  • kt_rubino
    kt_rubino Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and i La-la-la-LOVE it! Wont workout without it.
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend one. I spent a LONG time debating which one to get. I ended up with the Polar Ft4 -- got it on Amazon.com for around $65 and free shipping. It is VERY user friendly.

Whatever you get, I do recommend you get the chest strap. I tried one where you just wore the watch, but it was worthless. Others make you figure your calories yourself! Sometimes, you get what you pay for -- if it's under $50, it's probably not a great HRM, in my opinion.
  • majoca
    majoca Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I've been lucky enough to win an auction on Ebay for a high spec Polar and I love everything about it! Started with a cheap one from Tesco though for £20 and it was good enough for quite a while until the strap was too big for me and couldn't be adjusted anymore, hence didn't pick up the HR accurately anymore. Like the others said I wouldn't want t exercise without mine anymore!

Try Amazon, they tend to have a really good selection and read up on the different ones out there.