Going to start mountain biking.

Options
I've been hiking and walking quite a bit and am looking at starting to bike ride to and from work everyday ( 12 miles roundtrip ) and also found some gorgeous trails close by to go mountain biking. I'm EXTREMELY excited about this and feel like myself when i was fat kid and it was time to eat cake.

I've been looking at different bikes and since I'll be a newbie i'm not going to get anything extravagant, just sticking with a big box bike. I've been looking at the 29" and the 26" but with my height I'm thinking the 29" may be a little too big for me. I test rode a 26" and it felt comfortable to me so I'm thinking going that route. Anyone with any thing else I should look at when deciding between the two sizes? Anyone have any reviews of the Genesis v2100? Any tips for a newbie? Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump! I've been thinking about this for next summer as well. I just moved to a new state with a lot of mountain bike trails, I'd love some suggestions on how to get started.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think you should go to a bicycle shop and ask questions and let them tell you what size you need--it's always free to ask questions. Just tell them you're just getting started and are doing your research. That's what my husband and I did before we determined which bikes to buy. By 29, I assume you are referring to tire size because my husband is 6'4"/240lbs and he got a 20" frame. We both went with 29" tires though. We decided on the bigger tires because we want to trail ride as well as ride on paved surfaces. From all the research the bigger tires seemed to provide the smoothest ride over ruts and roots and rocks.

Good luck and enjoy your bike when you finally make you decision! :happy:
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Wayne,

I would stick with the 26" as it is the "standard" bike size for wheels and tubes etc. They still then come in small, medium and large frames.

Mountain Biking is an awesome fat burning exercise and great for cardio. you can also mix it up with your walking/running.

With bikes when doing actual moutain biking, you get what you pay for. A dual suspension bike for under $200 US is not going to do the job very well. It will probably be ok for getting to and from work and it might give you a taste of what mountain biking is really about - but be careful on trails with a bike like that, you may just end up hurting yourself.

Good luck, it is an awesome sport and I found when riding too and from work that the pounds just started to fall off me...

Cheers

Ray
  • sirphilipe
    sirphilipe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump! I've been thinking about this for next summer as well. I just moved to a new state with a lot of mountain bike trails, I'd love some suggestions on how to get started.

The best thing to do to get started is go see your local mountain bike shop. They will probably be able to give you advice on local trails and maybe ever help you hook up with a group of riders.

Otherwise start wrangling friends and convince them that this mountain biking gig is worth a go... :)

Cheers

Ray
  • danajotx
    Options
    I agree, you should go to a real bike shop. They will size you correctly and put you on a bike for your type of riding. Def go with 29 - you won't regret it.
  • danaharrison22
    Options
    If you plan to bike to/from work, more than on a mountain, you just want to be sure that you get a bike that is a good commuter. There are lots of opinions about road bikes, vs. hybreds vs. mountain. I am a newbie bike rider who know rides to from work every day...and although its tough to change your entire lifestyle around biking...its worth the results. I had been using a moutain bike...but just today got a commuter (smaller tires & frame). It supposedly makes a huge difference in the hills. I live in Seattle...so I need all the help I can get.

Wayne-just start riding! Check out all the other riders, ask questions, go a a shop and ask more questions. Its a really great investment in your health!

Onward!
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    26" AND 29" refer to wheel diameter. 26" is the standard MTB size. 29" are the new hotness. They are very similar in size to 700c road bike wheels (same diameter, much wider).
    Frame sizes usually run for like 13-21" in 2" increments, which is often equal to the length of the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket. I'm a little big for a 17", but a little small for a 19".

If you are going to decide between 29 or 26" wheeled bikes - well 29"ers are usually more expensive, don't have quite the variety of tire and wheel and fork choices that 26" bikes do - just because they've been on the market less time and they are usually higher end bikes. But they are higher end bikes, and often have more ground clearance, and their gearing is longer due to bigger wheel sizes - if your racing downhill, a 55x11 on a 29" tire is a little bit faster than a 55x11 on a 26" tire

Going fast on a trail is hard work! I can hold 20mph+ on a road for over an hour, but put me on a trail, and I die lol.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    When you're looking at bikes, I understand not wanting to drop a lot on a high-end mountain bike if you're just starting out, but do consider quality. A low-quality bike will not make your rides enjoyable, and will make it harder to stick with it - I speak from experience. I had a cheapie Columbia bike when I first started mtb several years ago, and it HURT, literally, to ride - my wrists hurt, my butt hurt, the gears wouldn't shift properly. For a little bit more you can get a decent quality mountain bike - if you have any bike speciality stores (local ones are best, but given as I live in Colorado, which is literally the headquarters of the International Mountain Biking Association, I realize not everywhere has local bike stores), go to them and explain your needs and budget.

More important than wheel size is the frame size. Too large of a frame, and you'll get strain/cramps from having your upper body over extended. Too small of a frame and you'll feel cramped. Try different frame sizes to see which ones feel more comfortable - you should be able to comfortably hold the grips without feeling like you're over extending your arms. A bike store can do a setup for you too, to make sure the bike is sized and set up to your body. Around here a setup is like $70, but it will make your ride better by orders of magnitude.

You'll also want to consider if you want a hardtail (no rear shock) or a full suspension (both front and rear shocks). If you live in a place with lots of rocks/ground obstacles, I'd suggest a full suspension to save your hindquarters. The type of bikes you should look at really depends on the terrain you'll be riding.

A niner (29" wheel) allows for easier obstacle clearance, but you suffer on cornering and acceleration. It's really a matter of preference - my husband has a niner (although his main bike is a Trek 26" downhill bike), but I don't. If you're comfortable doing it, try riding both bikes over a curb or speed bump to see how they handle obstacles.

Getting started with mtb depends on your personality - some people, like my husband, just go out and do it, because he has no fear. Me, I fear breaking my leg, so I took a couple mtb starter courses when I first started riding - learning how to corner, how to manage obstacles, body positioning for climbs and descents, stuff like that. If you haven't ridden a bike in quite a while and the trails are at all technical (i.e., lots of obstacles/difficult maneuvering, tough climbs), I'd suggest finding a starter course. :) Otherwise, pick up a mtb guide for your area, and find easy trails to learn on. If there's a mtb group that does no-drop rides, that's another great way to learn - most mtb'ers are pretty cool (there are some jerks) about newbies, and no-drop rides by definition are filled with people who will help you. Plus you get to make new friends!

Please let me know if you have more questions. My husband's been mountain biking for over about 15 years, and I've been riding for about 5. We'd be happy to help you out! :D
  • wayne4825
    wayne4825 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I'm really looking forward to getting started. Yes, I was referring to the tire size. Again, I'm a newbie so not exactly sure what to look for but there is a bike shop close to my house that I will have to visit and get precise answers. There are a lot of places here in Arkansas to ride trails and I'm anxious to get started. I'm grinning from ear to ear just thinking about it.

I'm starting to jog also. I haven't jogged in a little while and I'm noticing my breathing is a lot easier while running and that gets me excited as well. Now I just need some good shoes and I'll be a running/biking fool, well and a good bike of course.
  • wayne4825
    Options
    26" AND 29" refer to wheel diameter. 26" is the standard MTB size. 29" are the new hotness. They are very similar in size to 700c road bike wheels (same diameter, much wider).
    Frame sizes usually run for like 13-21" in 2" increments, which is often equal to the length of the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket. I'm a little big for a 17", but a little small for a 19".

If you are going to decide between 29 or 26" wheeled bikes - well 29"ers are usually more expensive, don't have quite the variety of tire and wheel and fork choices that 26" bikes do - just because they've been on the market less time and they are usually higher end bikes. But they are higher end bikes, and often have more ground clearance, and their gearing is longer due to bigger wheel sizes - if your racing downhill, a 55x11 on a 29" tire is a little bit faster than a 55x11 on a 26" tire

Going fast on a trail is hard work! I can hold 20mph+ on a road for over an hour, but put me on a trail, and I die lol.

This is like another language to me. lol... I'm doing research right now so I'll learn what to look for as I go. Not looking to get a bike for another couple months anyway so that'll give me time to look at all the different aspects.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Take into account the parts that make up the bike, not just the brand name. There are infinite amounts of component combinations, make sure you're getting ones that work best for you.

I prefer full suspension over hardtails, they're more adjustable and much more of a comfortable ride.
    I prefer disc brakes over rim breaks because good brakes were my first requirement for my bike!

I bought a small men's Mongoose a few years ago. It was last season's model and because it was a small none of the guys could ride it :-) If you're not terribly picky you can get a good deal, I purchased mine a Performance Bike for around $500 for a $1200 bike.

If you're looking for skill-based classes, REI has awesome beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses that last a couple hours.
  • wayne4825
    Options
    When you're looking at bikes, I understand not wanting to drop a lot on a high-end mountain bike if you're just starting out, but do consider quality. A low-quality bike will not make your rides enjoyable, and will make it harder to stick with it - I speak from experience. I had a cheapie Columbia bike when I first started mtb several years ago, and it HURT, literally, to ride - my wrists hurt, my butt hurt, the gears wouldn't shift properly. For a little bit more you can get a decent quality mountain bike - if you have any bike speciality stores (local ones are best, but given as I live in Colorado, which is literally the headquarters of the International Mountain Biking Association, I realize not everywhere has local bike stores), go to them and explain your needs and budget.

More important than wheel size is the frame size. Too large of a frame, and you'll get strain/cramps from having your upper body over extended. Too small of a frame and you'll feel cramped. Try different frame sizes to see which ones feel more comfortable - you should be able to comfortably hold the grips without feeling like you're over extending your arms. A bike store can do a setup for you too, to make sure the bike is sized and set up to your body. Around here a setup is like $70, but it will make your ride better by orders of magnitude.

You'll also want to consider if you want a hardtail (no rear shock) or a full suspension (both front and rear shocks). If you live in a place with lots of rocks/ground obstacles, I'd suggest a full suspension to save your hindquarters. The type of bikes you should look at really depends on the terrain you'll be riding.

A niner (29" wheel) allows for easier obstacle clearance, but you suffer on cornering and acceleration. It's really a matter of preference - my husband has a niner (although his main bike is a Trek 26" downhill bike), but I don't. If you're comfortable doing it, try riding both bikes over a curb or speed bump to see how they handle obstacles.

Getting started with mtb depends on your personality - some people, like my husband, just go out and do it, because he has no fear. Me, I fear breaking my leg, so I took a couple mtb starter courses when I first started riding - learning how to corner, how to manage obstacles, body positioning for climbs and descents, stuff like that. If you haven't ridden a bike in quite a while and the trails are at all technical (i.e., lots of obstacles/difficult maneuvering, tough climbs), I'd suggest finding a starter course. :) Otherwise, pick up a mtb guide for your area, and find easy trails to learn on. If there's a mtb group that does no-drop rides, that's another great way to learn - most mtb'ers are pretty cool (there are some jerks) about newbies, and no-drop rides by definition are filled with people who will help you. Plus you get to make new friends!

Please let me know if you have more questions. My husband's been mountain biking for over about 15 years, and I've been riding for about 5. We'd be happy to help you out! :D

THANKS !!!!!

I've been looking at different forums about the bike I'm looking at and just like everything else there are mixed reviews. I test rode the bike and it felt comfortable to ride. I would love to have a great quality bike but right now with money and the fact I'm a newbie i would really hate to purchase one to learn on.

I have no fear when it comes to exercising. I have an all or nothing type attitude when it comes to exercising.
  • lotuslion
    Options

THANKS !!!!!

I've been looking at different forums about the bike I'm looking at and just like everything else there are mixed reviews. I test rode the bike and it felt comfortable to ride. I would love to have a great quality bike but right now with money and the fact I'm a newbie i would really hate to purchase one to learn on.

I have no fear when it comes to exercising. I have an all or nothing type attitude when it comes to exercising.

You're welcome! And I totally understand about the cost consideration - it's just really important that your bike be fun and comfortable to ride, or else you won't enjoy mtb. Go talk to your local bike shops - just like with cars, last year's model will be drastically reduced, and some places have trade-in programs where you can buy a high-quality used bike that's in good condition. Stores around here also have tent sales, where they'll sell last year's bikes at really reduced prices to make way for the new inventory. This is the end of the season (at least in CO - you might still be able to ride in AR, but we have snow now!), so you might be able to get some good deals too.

You don't need super high quality, but you do want to make sure you have a bike that you like to ride. :)
  • wayne4825
    Options

THANKS !!!!!

You're welcome! And I totally understand about the cost consideration - it's just really important that your bike be fun and comfortable to ride, or else you won't enjoy mtb. Go talk to your local bike shops - just like with cars, last year's model will be drastically reduced, and some places have trade-in programs where you can buy a high-quality used bike that's in good condition. Stores around here also have tent sales, where they'll sell last year's bikes at really reduced prices to make way for the new inventory. This is the end of the season (at least in CO - you might still be able to ride in AR, but we have snow now!), so you might be able to get some good deals too.

You don't need super high quality, but you do want to make sure you have a bike that you like to ride. :)

Yeah, I definetely don't want to ruin the experience by getting a bad bike. We have a local shop down the road so I will go talk with them tomorrow.

It's a wonderful 65 - 80 degrees here in AR. I was doing 6 - 12 mile hikes and walks when it was 105 degrees outsides. Everyone though I was crazy.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Yeah, I definetely don't want to ruin the experience by getting a bad bike. We have a local shop down the road so I will go talk with them tomorrow.

It's a wonderful 65 - 80 degrees here in AR. I was doing 6 - 12 mile hikes and walks when it was 105 degrees outsides. Everyone though I was crazy.

Ohh jealous! I only got a few rides in this summer, as for the first part I was recovering from surgery and had a PICC line in my arm (it's a semi-permanent IV line, and you can't sweat while you have one), and then we bought a house, so the last part of summer and early fall was eaten up with moving and home repair, lol.

That sounds really awesome about the hikes, although I think your humidity would kill me. I'm thoroughly adapted to CO - if it gets above 35% humidity, I while like a little child, haha.

I think you will really enjoy mtb. It's a ton of fun, especially when you find some great trails where you can just *fly.* Welcome to the crazy mountain biker world! :D
  • wayne4825
    Options
    Looking at builddirect.com at bikes and some of them really aren't much more expensive then what I am looking at right now. I have no clue as to what quality the parts are but again I have a lot of questions to take to the bike shop and bombard them with :D...
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to bike ride for exercise then you might want to consider a single speed :)
    That way when you approach a hill you're forced to use your legs muscles rather than simply switch to an easier gear. Single speeds also tend to be cheaper because there is no derailleur to maintain. The simplicity of the drive train makes it more efficient than a bike with a derailleur.

More info from the great Sheldon Brown:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Here's a pic of my sexy Schwinn Madison:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303981_10150397639298060_545893059_10170381_1956634700_n.jpg
  • lotuslion
    Options
    Don't listend to eddyca.... fixie riders are a little crazy. ;)

(Just kidding eddyca - must respect to the single speeds!) :bigsmile:
  • wayne4825
    Options
    I have to say I'm a huge fan of the trigger shifters I've seen. I'm sure they are probably a pain in the butt in the long run but it's like a new electronic to me and I gotta have it. lol.. I'm a nerd like that.