Yoga Question

Options
I've been doing yoga for the past few weeks and I know it's a great workout for my muscles, the stretching feels awesome and it's so relaxing... however I am wondering if/how I can log that in my exercise. I know it does burn some calories but is it enough to make a difference, and should I track it in exercise? I'd like to know what other people think about this.

Replies

• cpres11
    cpres11 Posts: 7
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for the past few weeks and I know it's a great workout for my muscles, the stretching feels awesome and it's so relaxing... however I am wondering if/how I can log that in my exercise. I know it does burn some calories but is it enough to make a difference, and should I track it in exercise? I'd like to know what other people think about this.
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and I do track it--I used data from another website to figure out how much I was burning
    for calories
    I would track it why not!
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    If you go to the exercise database, under cardio, there is a Hatha Yoga or Stretching exercise. That's what I do to count mine.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

To be honest , IMO, that's a tough one
    There are so many different types/levels of yoga
    I have done mostly stretching/meditation yoga that thought it feels fantastic, I don't think it burns many cals
    I have also done more intense yoga (to the point I am sweating)
    I think you may need ot be ballpark it....
    If u are doing a DVD maybe ask here in the fitness section...someone else may have the video and a polar watch so they can help with cals burned

Good luck, Kim
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I just checked stretching yoga burns approx: 200 calories an hour I also sometimes choose low impact aerobic as a choice if I do a more intense session. I also use the Biggest Loser Yoga DVD and I know that burns more calories than just 200 an hour!! I think I used another website and that came out to approx: 400 calories an hour because that is not just stretching Yoga
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what kind of yoga you're doing. I go for walking as that's what they're compared to online when I researched calories burned from yoga.

You can classify "gentle yoga" as a 2.0 mph slow-paced walk or mild stretch ... like Hatha Yoga or Yoga Stretch routines. Most basic general yoga routines can fit under walking 2.5mph (leisure pace).

Power yoga, on the other hand burns a little more than a brisk walk of 4.5 mph; you can find the exact amount for your weight here: http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned/conditioning-exercise-intense-yoga-ashtangavinyasapowerclassical-hatha.asp and customize it to the database.

Of course you also have your "yoga burn" routines that I classify as low-impact aerobics. It's sometimes called accelerated yoga which isn't quite power yoga.

Anyway, as soon as my calorie counter comes in the mail I'll let you know how accurate that is. But that's been working for me.
  • lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Options
    Depends. I've worn my HRM for a hatha class and it was only about 150 / hr, but during a bikram class it was 750 / hr.
  • bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I track it on the exercise scale but as others have said, it depends on what kind you are doing but I think you can indicate that one the cardio chart. :wink:
  • cpres11
    cpres11 Posts: 7
    Options
    thank you for the info i'll definitely be tracking it somehow from now on :)