Do you exercise when you get sick?

Options
dckim
dckim Posts: 311 Member
I've been sick last few weeks (chest cold) and stopped working out. I feel like crap. Any suggestions? :sick:

Replies

• Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Ive been feeling a rough as a dog for the past few days. All I have managed to do is hula hoop at home for a bit, but its better than nothing I guess! Your body deserves a rest every now and then, no point in pushing it if you feel unwell x
  • Wisks
    Wisks Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    While I know this is not smart, when I am sick with a cold, at least in the beginning stages of it, if I go out for a run I feel like it clears my system and sweats out the illness. I am sure this is incorrect and maybe it's mental but I always feel better after a run and hardly ever get sick.
  • linmarc30
    linmarc30 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I felt like I was getting the flu recently, and I decided to continue with going to my personal trainer. I must have sweated it out because I felt so much better by the next day.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Depends - if it's just a cold I'll probably carry on with weights. I'll usually dump the cardio, though.

If it's anything worse, then no. I take the time off.
  • amymaria91
    Options
    I'm ill at the moment and I'm going with rest rather than exercise. I think exercising will slow down getting better. But who knows, maybe the others are on to something about sweating it out. Just try not to over do it
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was sick last week and made the mistake of working out... my form was bad and breathing was bad. Ended up light headed, dizzy, and pulled a muscle in my back and spent all weekend in pain, and miserable. But to each his own. I guess it would depend on what you were doing exactly. And if you have an "issues." I have asthma, so it was pretty stupid of me to do Insanity while sick. But I did and paid for it. ...also lived thru it. lol

It's something that you are going to have to decide. :-)

Thanks for the topic,
    SLB
  • Michelle148
    Options
    I am sick with the flu and I went to the gym last night and did a cycle class. I could hardly breathe, I burnt 562cals in that class I felt really week after the class. I also went today and did a PT session by the end of the 30mins I felt like I had no engery left and my breathing was shallow.

I think that i should of taken it easy but I am at my goal weight and want to maintain it if not lose a few more kilos so I pushed myself as much as I could. I am feeling a little better now so like the others have posted maybe i sweated it out.

You should listen to your body tho, if you start working out and feel you cant do anymore make sure you rest and get back into when you are feelin 100%. You need to allow your body to recover.
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    I've had the lurgy too since Saturday.

I didn't exercise for 3 days but went back to the gym last night, I struggled but it helped clear some of the stuff off my chest.

Even though I'm still chesty I do feel better now so will be resuming normal exercise xx
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    In the past I've lifted with a cold, but running is usually out.

I have been fighting allergies & congestion that doesnt show up in my day to day activities, but when I run I can feel it.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'm sick right now with a nasty cold so yes, I do exercise but I do half of what I normally do. I think it actually helps!
  • sgtlittle
    sgtlittle Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how sick I am. I am currently fighting a mild head cold, so I cut out the outdoor running since the weather is cold, but I do continue with weights and hit the treadmill for a short run. Your body burns a lot of calories fighting off sickness and there is no reason to over stress unnecessarily. You are the only person who knows your body and it's limitations, so use your judgement and give it rest when it needs it.
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I was sick last week and made the mistake of working out... my form was bad and breathing was bad. Ended up light headed, dizzy, and pulled a muscle in my back and spent all weekend in pain, and miserable. But to each his own. I guess it would depend on what you were doing exactly. And if you have an "issues." I have asthma, so it was pretty stupid of me to do Insanity while sick. But I did and paid for it. ...also lived thru it. lol

It's something that you are going to have to decide. :-)

Thanks for the topic,
    SLB

Today, I did cardio kickbox at 50% effort and after I got dizzy and light headed too. Scary...:frown:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Sweating helps me get through a light cold.
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The trainor at my gym told me if its a cold in your head..okay to work out..if its a cold in your chest DONT workout..possibly sit in a sauna if you have access to one!!

Just what I was told by her!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    No. I do not. :smile:
  • Zachgr
    Zachgr Posts: 5
    Options
    I exercised today with a migraine. I just think of how it will all pay off in the end.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    As long as I am not running fever and the symptoms are all above the neck, as in a headcold or bad allergy attack, I will go ahead and exercise. It may not be a full-blown workout but at least a jog and some yoga. If I'm running a fever or have symptoms are below the neck, like a chestcold, I will forego the exercise and figure that my body needs that energy to fight the infection.