My first day...

Options
I've never done this before cuz it just seems like so much work to log every bite. Today I did it and was doing really good until I had a few bites of homeade cheezy potatoes. I went 317 over on my calories! This is gonna be an eye opener.

Replies

• YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Welcome! It does take work, and commitment, to log everything every day, but it is worth it. As you said, it is an eye opener. It gives you visibility to what is actually going in your body, and accountability. I would recommend setting your diary up to take advantage of all six categories, just choose what is important to you. Make friends, and enjoy it. Good luck!

Lucy :)
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Agreed it is for everyone once you actually track everything being put into your mouth it can be quite shocking for most. Don't let that deter you though continue to log, use some of the features they provide to make logging easier like copying from previous days or how it remembers certain foods you eat often at certain meals. MFP is only the catalyst to your weight loss you need to have the drive and motivation to turn it into success but I have faith that you can do it!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yep.

Good luck to you!
  • Zachgr
    Zachgr Posts: 5
    Options
    Welcome, good luck!
  • packerfan1
    packerfan1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to MFP!!! Feel free to add me as a friend!! Good luck!
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Welcome! Scary isn't it?? That was my eye opener too! It is just a habit to taste things and not actually consider it as going into your body! Now when I make my kids lunch or if I am bakig a goodie for one of their activities I chew a FRESH piece of gum so I won't taste te batter or pop a few chocolate chips in my mouth!! Easy enough steps to making a few changes that will help you on your journey!! Good Luck!!!
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    Definitely stick to it. Like you, I was not a calorie counter. I started on September 3 and I'm down 18 lbs. This does work and you're right, it's an eye opener for what you put into your body. Do your workouts, calculate your calories and I guarantee you...you'll see results. I've never felt so good :)

Best of luck to you!
  • JBJCurly
    Options
    I felt exactly the same way when I started. "Am I going to really do this EVERY day with EVERYTHING I eat?!?!" Now I love it! It is so easy to be accountable to a diet, AND I get to eat a lot more than I would if I were just denying myself food, and thus I think I'll be able to stick with it longer. Just keep at it, make friends on here (you may add me if you want), and try not to cheat.
    :)
    Josh
  • illidia
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new to the forums as well, but have been using the app for about a week, and it's really handy when you're on the go/away from the computer! Tracking is definitely an eye-opener, especially as far as the amount of carbs in things for me.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely an eye opener...wow was I shocked!!! I've been logging now for about 40 days or so and I can't imagine not doing it. It helps so much in curbing those calories! Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • kris10surmeier
    kris10surmeier Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome job though!

I just started this "actively" myself and I love it so far. Actually logging everything into the computer is a great tool because I am ALOT more cautious of what I eat and drink more water.

Keep up the good work!!!!
  • HawaiianTx
    HawaiianTx Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new to the forums as well, but have been using the app for about a week, and it's really handy when you're on the go/away from the computer! Tracking is definitely an eye-opener, especially as far as the amount of carbs in things for me.

If you have an android phone or a blackberry, you can download the myfitnesspal app for free from the Market app on your phone.
    Like illidia said it comes in handy and makes things easier. I've used it to look at calories while I'm thinking of what to order at restaurants.

You'll be amazed at how often you have extra calories.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Good luck! :flowerforyou: We all got that kind of surprises XD
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've never done this before cuz it just seems like so much work to log every bite. Today I did it and was doing really good until I had a few bites of homeade cheezy potatoes. I went 317 over on my calories! This is gonna be an eye opener.

Weight gain is very subtle. If you go over your daily intake just 100-200 calories a day, that amounts to several pounds a year!

MFP does the opposite, in effect reversing the process. If you stay UNDER just 100-200 calories a day, you'll lose weight. However, if you don't know what you're eating, you would never know. By logging each and every meal, you'll most certainly lose weight.

And as others have mentioned, once you use it enough it lists the most recent items. I usually just copy the previous days entries and start there. So in about 5 minutes most of my logging is done.