First run..

Went on my first "run" outside. It was very..interesting. First off let me say that I run on the treadmill at least once a week. However, about 6 times a week for at least 30 minutes I use the arc trainer. If you are unsure what this is it reminds me of an elliptical and a stairmaster in one- it definitely helped me run longer and is a great cardio workout. Anywho, getting to the point- on the treadmill I can run for 10-20 minutes straight, depending on the day. I can run 2.5 miles in about 24 minutes (with walking for a minute or two in between spurts of running)

This all being said- why is that on my "run" I ran for 7 minutes straight and had to stop. Not only that- but after I slowed down to a fast walk I felt like I was going to throw up for about 5 minutes and had to slow down my walk SO much. This has never really happened to me before- the most nausea I have experienced was for a minute tops, and it was no where near as bad.

The only things that seem logical to me is 1. It was too cold? 2. I did not drink enough water since I did not bring it with me and on the treadmill I usually have it. 3. (really me just being wayyyy to paranoid I am sure) I am pregnant.

Any suggestions? I want to be able to actually run w/o this happening. =[ Thanks for the help in advance.

Replies

• wadesha
    wadesha Posts: 351 Member
    Maybe you ate to close to running or you could have been dehydrated. I eat dinner 2 hours before I run so maybe try eating earlier or waiting until after.
  • Were there hills? Were you running at the same pace as you do on the treadmill (I tend to try to run faster off the treadmill, so I have to watch my pace)?

There is also an affliction called "runner's diarrhea" that can cause severe stomach cramps and nausea. It's possible you just got struck by an episode of that. It's also possible you were dehydrated.
  • Just a guess, but maybe you were going a lot faster than you're used to. On a treadmill you can see your speed; outside you obviously can't. Make sure you are not pushing TOO much with the speed, just keep it steady and try to keep going.
  • ebmozo
    ebmozo Posts: 6 Member
    Many possible reasons: too hot or too humid outside, road inclined, you did not get enough sleep the night before your run, or it was just an off-day. What's important is that you stopped to catch your breath. There's really no need to push your body more than it wants to go. Listen to y our body and soon enough you'll be off and running everyday.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    Just a guess, but maybe you were going a lot faster than you're used to. On a treadmill you can see your speed; outside you obviously can't. Make sure you are not pushing TOO much with the speed, just keep it steady and try to keep going.

Was my first thought as well.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Running outdoors is harder than running on a treadmill. You have to propel yourself forward with no help from the belt. The terrain varies constantly. There's nothing regulating your speed so you may go too fast.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Some good answers. I am thinking perhaps I did got a lot faster than usual- just looked up how far away the park was that I made it to in 7 minutes and it is about 1.1 miles. Jinkies! Usually it takes me 10 minutes a mile about. That makes sense. Thanks guys =] Gotta even out my pace. I will keep that in mind!
  • jmvh59
    jmvh59 Posts: 97
    Welcome to the world of running. Exercise machines like treadmills, ellipticals, and stairclimbers can help you get ready, but they cannot prepare you for actually moving your body weight at running speeds. It is not easy at first, but your body will get used to it in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Here is the best advice I can give:

Your brain will probably get in the way of your running progress, so keep the negative thoughts to a minimum. Don't think about how much more water you should have been drinking or anything else that might psych yourself out. If you do think about something, think about something that will motivate you, like getting back into the clothes that don't fit anymore.

The first few times you run, keeping your legs moving is the most important thing. Keep them churning, even if you are moving slower than if you changed to a walk. I've crested many a hill at a snail's pace, but kept my legs shuffling. It gets the muscles used to the lactic acid buildup and will help you run for longer than a couple of minutes. I'm not sure what your goals are, but I would recommend working up to 20 minutes at least for the aerobic benefit and double that or more to turn your runs into fat burning excursions.

Once you've completed a couple of jogging/shuffling runs, start to increase the length of your stride. Pay attention to how your calf muscles launch you forward and how you land. Ideally, you should land on the back of the ball of your foot (which is just ahead of your arch) and roll your foot forward pushing off with your toes and calf muscle of the foot you just landed on.

As for the coughing and nausea, you will get that in the cold, especially if you push yourself too hard. Your body will get used to the cold in time. Running in the heat can be pretty dangerous if you overdo it. Stay hydrated regardless of weather. Be sure to check with your doctor (especially since you are making a baby).

Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    One thing that may help....if you have a heart monitor, perhaps you can use that to try to keep your heart rate at a certain level? Maybe you can then look at how you feel at different heart rates. Something to think about. Good luck and God Bless!
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Running outside is a different ballgame than running on the dreadmill. Slow it down, speedy!