training for a 10K, but need some advice!

Options
I snagged a spot in the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta for the 4th of July (yay!). I've been looking at some websites with training plans (runnersworld.com, active.com). Some of the training things they talk about are a little confusing to me (Speed Work, Intervals, etc.). Are there any sites that kind of "break it down" for beginners? I've been running for a ocuple of years now, and I've dont about five 5Ks, so this will be my first 10K. I've gotten out of the swing of running a few times a week, and I'm ready to get back into it.

Any advice, tips, or helpful resources about 10K training/nutrition would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

:heart:

Replies

• abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    I snagged a spot in the Peachtree Road Race in Atlanta for the 4th of July (yay!). I've been looking at some websites with training plans (runnersworld.com, active.com). Some of the training things they talk about are a little confusing to me (Speed Work, Intervals, etc.). Are there any sites that kind of "break it down" for beginners? I've been running for a ocuple of years now, and I've dont about five 5Ks, so this will be my first 10K. I've gotten out of the swing of running a few times a week, and I'm ready to get back into it.

Any advice, tips, or helpful resources about 10K training/nutrition would be greatly appreciated! thanks!!

:heart:
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    I just signed up to do my first half marathon! i looked at the schedule from runnerworld and was a little confused about the speedwork and tempo stuff to. I think I'm going to follow Hal Higdon's schedules. There is no speedwork.. I'm not concerned about my time, I just want to finish the race! I think if you want to make your time faster, speedwork will help, but if you're just looking to rain check out hal higdon.
  • abbylove08
    abbylove08 Posts: 215
    Options
    thanks!
    with this being my first 10K, i'm definetly just looking to finish, but finish strong. I want to feel like I pushed myself and not feel like i am going to pass out once i cross the finish line. i'll check out this hal higdon.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    The 10K (6.2 miles) distance is very popular with beginner runners, especially those who have done a 5K race, but don't feel they're quite ready to take on the half-marathon.
    Below is an eight-week training schedule to help get you to the finish line. It assumes that you can already run at least 2 miles.
    Notes about the schedule:

Mondays and Fridays: Mondays and Fridays are rest days. Rest is critical to your recovery and injury prevention efforts, so don't ignore rest days. Your muscles actually build and repair themselves during your rest days. So if you run every day without taking days off, you won’t see much improvement.

Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays: After you warm up, run at a comfortable pace for the designated mileage. Make sure you cool down and stretch after your run.

If most of your runs are on the road, and you're not sure how far you run, you can figure out the mileage by using sites such as MapMyRun.com. Or, you can always drive your route in your car and measure the mileage using your car odometer beforehand.

Wednesdays: Do a cross-training (CT) activity (biking, swimming, elliptical trainer) at easy to moderate effort for 30 to 40 minutes. If you're feeling very sluggish or sore, take a rest day.

Sundays: This is an active recovery day. Your run should be at an easy (EZ), comfortable pace, which helps loosen up your muscles. Or, you can do a run/walk combination.

Note:
    You can switch days to accommodate your schedule. So if you're busy on another day and prefer to workout on a Monday or Friday, it's fine to swap a rest day for a run day.

Beginner Runners' 10K Training Schedule

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
    1 Rest 1.5 m run CT or Rest 1.5 m run Rest 2 m run 25-30 min EZ
    2 Rest 2 m run CT or Rest 2 m run Rest 2.5 m run 25-30 min EZ
    3 Rest 2.5 mi run CT or Rest 2 m run Rest 3 m run 30-35 min EZ
    4 Rest 2.5 m run CT or Rest 2 m run Rest 3.5 m run 35 min EZ
    5 Rest 3 m run CT or Rest 2.5 m run Rest 4 m run 35-40 min EZ
    6 Rest 3 m run CT 2.5 m run Rest 4.5 m run 35-40 min EZ
    7 Rest 3.5 m run CT 3 m run Rest 5 m run 40 min EZ
    8 Rest 3 m run CT or Rest 2 m run Rest Rest 10K Race!
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    This schedule worked for me when I was first beginning, now I run 15k's 3 days a week for fun, i'm working up to running a 40 mile run in the fall, should be interesting, good luck with your 10k!, you'll find it's only the beginning, soon you'll be pushing yourself to do more!
  • rohdesl
    rohdesl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I go to runningplanet.com for my training plans. I am working on 10K too. They have plans for different levels (recreational, beginning competitor, advanced, and even your first 10K) And for different distances too. I'd check them out and see if they have one that matches your skill and what you want to do. The first time 10K plan has no interval or speed training. It's all working on getting your distance up to 10K, and is an 8 week plan.

Good luck with the run!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Good for you! 10K's are fun! I'm training for my 3rd half marathon and using the FIRST program. If you check it at runnersworld, it explains what speedwork and tempo runs are.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244--9369-5-1X2X3X4X5X6X7-8,00.html

I have used Hal Higdon's plans before and they are good for just wanting to finish, but I like the FIRST if you are planning a certain pace or to run a certain time. Good luck!