I keep going over my protein!!

Options
I consistantly go over my protein but am under on my carbs and fat. Is this going to hurt anything. I'm pretty active, and work out 5 days a week. I feel like MFP's protein is low if you are active. Is anyone else having this problem?

Replies

• mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ok, first my disclaimer: I am not a professional in this field and generally claim to know nothing about anything.

I would tend to say it is not a big deal so long as you are eating a well-rounded diet. I was talking about protein with a friend of mine, who is a registered nurse, and he was saying that for me (5'6" female) I should be aiming for 75-100g of protein a day, which is rather higher than MFP, but still a workable number.
    I find it kind of frustrating that some of the things I tend to think of as 'good' to exceed the recommendations still turn the numbers red. (Just a crazy thing I guess!)
  • damifino
    damifino Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go over my protein every day on purpose. MFP is way low on the protein budget. I personally have at least 140g of protein a day. It seems to be working, I am down 32 lbs in just shy of 2 months.

Protein is slow to digest and keeps you full longer and keeps your metabolism firing for longer periods.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    thats fine. you need protein to repair, maintain, and build muscle. you're fine.
  • marinewifemeg
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I was worried I was doing something wrong.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I was worried I was doing something wrong.

You should be fine but IMO the concern would only be the continuous underconsumption of fat. If you are well short on fat and over on protein for several days, I would recommend one or two higher fat days thrown in, probably at the expense of carbs.