Boot camp classes at gym...how in shape do I need to be?

Options
I am new to exercising, but I watched one this week thru the mirrors of my zumba class, and it looks like a really good workout, Im just wondering, if I'm in good enough shape to do it, or ifni should get in shape first?

Replies

• jessicamckay13
    Options
    A good bootcamp instructor should be able to get you through a class no matter what. You may not do the same exact exercises but s/he should be able to modify some for you if needed. Go for it!
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I do them anyway even if I don't think I will be able to get through the class. How will you be able to improve and gauge your progress if you don't try. Plus, I like that it gives me some different options for exercising instead of just doing the machines and elliptical all the time.
  • adpollard001
    Options
    There's really only one way to find out.

"Finishing dead last is better than not finishing, which is better than NOT TRYING." (Can't remember where I read that :P )
  • jtcmmommy
    Options
    I love bootcamp classes. They are intense but just remember to always go at your body's pace and do the modifications if you are can not do what more advanced members are. You can do it!!
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    BootCamp!! my favorite class. Have been doing it for months now and I never miss one on Tue/Thur at my gym ^.^ Depends on the instructor. One girl did one outside and she is really tough. But haven't seen her since. Once you get to know each inst routines you'll know who to go to. And when you get a tougher one leading the group you'll mentally prepare yourself for it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    There's really only one way to find out.

"Finishing dead last is better than not finishing, which is better than NOT TRYING." (Can't remember where I read that :P )

My running friends have a similar saying, it is better the be DFL than DNF, which is better than DNS (Dead ****ing Last, Did Not Finish, Did Not Start)

I agree with other posters. In any of the boot camp classes I have gone to the instructor has always given a less challenging option. And if you still can't complete, there is nothing wrong with taking a breather. If they say 10 pushups, do what you can and wait for the next exercise.

Go, do what you can, and have fun (in that weird painful is fun way). Remember, you aren't competing against anyone. Everyone is at a different level so you don't have to try to do everything if you feel you can't. Don't get me wrong, push yourself, but don't feel bad if you aren't at the same level as others, especially right away.
    Besides, what's a better way to get in shape than challenging yourself.