Starvation mode? really?

Options
I get 1,200 calories a day, and if I go under by even one calorie, I get the warning about not eating enough and starvation mode. If I'm eating at or just above 1,200 most days, do I really need to worry about this? Today I'm at 1,138 and it scolded me.

FWIW, most days this is not an issue because I exercise and eat some of those cals back. But on rest days I get this and I wonder.

Replies

• catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I get 1,200 calories a day, and if I go under by even one calorie, I get the warning about not eating enough and starvation mode. If I'm eating at or just above 1,200 most days, do I really need to worry about this? Today I'm at 1,138 and it scolded me.

FWIW, most days this is not an issue because I exercise and eat some of those cals back. But on rest days I get this and I wonder.
    no worries, you only go into starvation mode when you are actually starving.....like no food at all......for days and days
  • tjwolf13
    Options
    I would imagine that MFP has it set where you get that message when you go under 1200 at all. I would just ignore it if you are barely under, especially if its rare.
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think you should be okay. for the most part you are eating as close to it as you can. I am no dr and although my opinion is just opinion, it's always best to direct your questions to your physician who knows your body's nutritional needs best. Good luck to u on your journey and keep up the awesome work
  • carey1932
    carey1932 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think the "starvation mode" theory is used way too often. At some point it occurs, but the usage here is rediculous.
    A good article is on the weight watchers site under their science section called "The Starvation Myth" & its a free read.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    your body will see every meal as precious and store it for energy, ... fat.

will it happen becos of a few days you go under 1200... no

will it happen if you consistent go under 1200... yes

youre so close, why not eat a banana

some say its a myth, but it is real. it does not happen overnight, but it does happen
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to that. It's really only a problem if you're constantly under eating and your net is in the hundreds.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    my answer is no. This is all a guess anyway. That one piece of
    (whatever you want to put there) just may have an extra 10 calories in it...... know what I mean? That exercise that you did may have over estimated by xx amount of calories.... Like i said it is all estimates. I also do not believe that 1200 is the magic number for everyone! I mean I am 4' 11" I am sure mine are probably lower. Maybe not by much but probably by some.
  • Jessica2Skinny
    Jessica2Skinny Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get 1200 calories a day too and I never make that goal. I always end the day around 900-1100 calories and it tells me im in starvation mode too. Its a precaution MFP does to cover themselves and not get sued.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I think the "starvation mode" theory is used way too often. At some point it occurs, but the usage here is rediculous.
    A good article is on the weight watchers site under their science section called "The Starvation Myth" & its a free read.

i so totally agree!!!!! It is used all the time and it is ridiculous!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think the warning is there more as the site does not promote unhealty eating and dandgerous for your health if are way under all the time due to lack of nutrition viatmins etc. I wouldn't worry i believe is jsut to not encourage to eat too low and miss out on what you need.
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I get 1200 calories a day too and I never make that goal. I always end the day around 900-1100 calories and it tells me im in starvation mode too. Its a precaution MFP does to cover themselves and not get sued.

Just as a small clarification. It does *not* say that you ARE IN starvation mode, it says you put your body at risk to go into starvation mode.

"Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode."

*COULD be putting your body into...just saying

I don't think you have to worry at all. If you are eating less than 300 calories a day and sometimes going 3 days without eating, then I would be worried. But a few calories off here and there isn't going to do anything.
  • forhahas
    Options
    The term "starvation mode" is very misunderstood. It is used to suggest that if you don't eat enough calories your body will rebel, stop burning fat and start burning muscle, thus causing plateau's, etc.

The truth is that your body doesn't stop burning fat and start burning muscle until your body fat percentage is below 5%. Once you start losing muscle, THAT is when your metabolism significantly decreases.

So yes, starvation mode does exist but it's not anything you have to worry about if you're overweight and have excess fat to burn. If you Google "The Truth about Starvation Mode" you'll find some good research and can stop worrying about eating less than 1200 calories. I only discovered this research recently and broke a 2 month plateau when I realized that I could cut my calories in half for a few days without thinking that I'm sabotaging myself.

Good luck!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it, if starvation mode was as prevalent as this site would have you believe, we would have a lot of fat anorexics. Clearly, them not eating is making them fat *eye roll* If you are eating at levels which would truly impact your metabolism, you have other issues to deal with beyond the scolding from MFP.
  • VVEXVVEX
    VVEXVVEX Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I just needed to hear the common sense. That red type gets you wondering.

I did go have a bite of dark chocolate though. : )
  • forhahas
    Options
    The way I look at it, if starvation mode was as prevalent as this site would have you believe, we would have a lot of fat anorexics.

Ha! "Fat anorexics"! I apologize in advance for stealing that term when I talk about starvation mode in the future.

:bigsmile: