healthy, filling low carb/high protein breakfasts

Options
I'm a nurse who's lost 65lbs but struggling to get the last 40 off. On my shift days I leave the house by 6:20am, don't eat lunch until 1pm. I need a filling breakfast with lower carbs due to history of dawn effect diabetes. I tried 2 eggs, spinach, and some low fat cheese, but by 11am I'm starving and running my tail off, I find I overeat at lunch. Fruit smoothies make my blood sugar surge then crash. Even plain oatmeal with some splenda does it. Problem is most breakfast proteins are fat-laden, such as bacon and sausage. And protein shakes don't "stick to my ribs" 3 hrs later I'm physically hungry again. It seems a high fat, high protein breakfast lasts, but again, all the fat isn't good for me & it's super high in calories.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I had 2 eggs and 3 pieces of bacon today for about 245 calories. Very filling :]
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    eat more eggs and greek yogurt.
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you like sausage, try turkey sausage, turkey bacon, etc.. Try to incorporate some lean meats for the protein.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    every morning i eat 3/4cup egg substitue with 1/4 cup black beans, onion, and green pepper. Topped with salsa. super yummy for about 300 calories and filled with protein
  • sunkisses007
    sunkisses007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat egg beaters & turkey sausage
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    All that fat isn't good for you? Pish posh! I live on fat, and my cholesterol, blood sugar and blood pressure are better than they've ever been in my life! I get that to each their own stuff, but seriously-- natural fat is good fat. And yes, that includes meat and eggs. Soooo much research supports this.

My breakfasts usually consists of eggs and bacon or an omelet with ham, cheese and lots of veggies. Or turkey sausage (but not because pork sausage is high in fat-- I just count calories too, and turkey sausage has less calories.)
  • chikachic817
    chikachic817 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I eat egg beaters & turkey sausage

I sometimes do this or use an egg white and a slice of cheese to make a sandwich, using one of the sandwich rolls.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    put some almonds in your pockets for a mid morning snack :)
  • km5dx
    km5dx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite XL protein is time released over a 12 hour period. It helps satisfy my hunger for 8--10 hours when added to a shake with Greek yogurt.... Of course there is alway lean ground beef or a steak-ease too...
  • Snicksitis
    Options
    2 eggs, 2 turkey sausage links, 1 piece of wheat toast/ multigrain english muffin with peanut butter, a piece of fruit, and a glass of milk to drink. Might be a little higher calorie but it's all good for you and will fill you up and keep you full for a long time. I eat this when I know I'm going to have a busy day. Grocery stores also have english muffins that have extra fiber in them.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    When I know I won't be able to eat until much later I eat eggs (a mix of whole and whites) plus a piece of plain toast with lots of water or milk. The bread seems to keep me full initially and makes the protein keep me fuller longer. There are lower carb breads out there if you are concerned with carbs.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm always careful to have a midmorning snack, too, so I'm not sure what might stay with you clear through 'til lunch... but I usually eat a combination for breakfast: one scoop of 0-carb protein powder in a drink, with a spinach omelette or a tuna-&-cheese lettuce wrap or eggs'n'bacon.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    I know it sounds odd, but you could eat fish for breakfast. You can even add eggs and veggies. This will give you plenty of protein, and sustain you, without all the fat. It takes getting used to, but it's definitely a healthy route to take.

Lucy :)
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How long are you going between breakfast and lunch? I had the same issue but I was eating at 6 or 7am and not having lunch until noon or so. Try adding in a mid-morning snack. You should be eating every 3 to 4 hours. I like a banana or yogurt or cheese and crackers.
  • harron3
    Options
    Try eating some turkey lunch meat, a couple of slices keep me going between lunch and after lunch
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I really like to do a high fiber English muffin with a couple tablespoons of peanut butter. It is higher fat, but they're the good kinds of fat (in my humble opinion). I also enjoy Clif Bars, you could always keep a wrapped one in your pocket and take bites throughout the morning... they're very healthy and filling as well. Good luck!!
  • Janice1109
    Options
    6 egg whites is a good serving of protein. I am a nurse and that keeps me full a lot longer. Meal bars perhaps? Not sure about
    The sugar content
  • tahoemads
    tahoemads Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've encountered this problem, and I found a solution for myself. It may work for you. Greek yogurt is high in protein, so if you eat dairy I would make a veggie omelet (2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites) and on the side have 1/2 cup of 2% plain greek yogurt with 1/3 cup raw fruit and few tablespoons of shaved almonds or nuts on top. The key I've found is eating plain yogurt with some fat because the non-fat has been strained of more protein and adding nuts for whole healthy fats. I promise you, the greek yogurt and eggs (protein) + complex carbs of the fruit and veggies will keep you full until 1pm!
  • fightingautism
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think a mid-morning snack is likely going to be the key. I have found i cannot go over about 20grams of carbs in the morning for first meal without it soaring my blood glucose. Unfortunately this means fruit, grains, and milk. It's called "Dawn Effect" for those interested in diabetes. I have relatively normal blood glucose now since my weight loss, but that dang morning meal still seems sensitive. Hopefully more weight loss & continued exercise will reverse it. I also have gluten intolerance so I need to not be eating wheat.

Thanks again.