Back and knee issues.. help?

This may have been covered somewhere already but I have to ask, since I don't know.

I have two torn discs in the lumbar region of my spine, as well as two bad knees (had two bouts of quadriceps tendonitis in the past year alone) and my left thigh goes to sleep during vigorous exercise (complication from back issue). I cannot do running, at least not right now. If I try my knees feel like they are going to snap. Also, I am very much overweight (280 lbs with an ideal weight of 155 lbs). I work two jobs with one day off a week that I spend chasing my 3 around daughter around.

So the question is: What exercises can I do that will help me to shed/shred these pounds?

I have started walking at work on my lunch break. We have a path that is about a mile and half out and back. There is also a bike trail near my house that I plan on walking on my days off.

Help?

Please?

Replies

• christina_theresa
    christina_theresa Posts: 290 Member
    Busy lady!! If you can find a way to make some time, water aerobics would be great for someone in your situation! I do water aerobics when I am sore. Most of the ladies in the class have had double knee replacements or have really bad back issues.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Weight lift! You can do with injuries (I know from experience) And your body naturally burns more calories, even at rest, when you have more muscle. Best wishes on your journey and recovery.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Weight lift! You can do with injuries (I know from experience) And your body naturally burns more calories, even at rest, when you have more muscle. Best wishes on your journey and recovery.

Agree with the weights. When I started this in April, my back was bad, and my knees killed me when I tried to exercise. I basically danced, and Zumba (started out very slowly). I added 5 lbs. weights basically lifting over head, to the side, etc. I'm now down 30 lbs., and can dance while holding the weights, and Zumba isn't as big as problem for my knees and back. My back doesn't hurt much any more, and I can do a deep knee bend (still not to speed). Start with baby steps, and it will get easier. The main thing is not to push yourself so you damage knees/back anymore. In time, and as you get more used to it, it does get easier.
    If I had a pool accessible, water aerobics sounds great!! Good luck!!!
  • ShannaDBowser
    ShannaDBowser Posts: 88 Member
    Thanks! I've been trying to justify spending the money on weights since I don't have much room to store them at the moment. Guess I'll have to buckle down and get a small set.

Oh and if I could find a place near me that did water aerobics w/o trying to break my wallet, I would totally do it!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    This may have been covered somewhere already but I have to ask, since I don't know.

I have two torn discs in the lumbar region of my spine, as well as two bad knees (had two bouts of quadriceps tendonitis in the past year alone) and my left thigh goes to sleep during vigorous exercise (complication from back issue). I cannot do running, at least not right now. If I try my knees feel like they are going to snap. Also, I am very much overweight (280 lbs with an ideal weight of 155 lbs). I work two jobs with one day off a week that I spend chasing my 3 around daughter around.

So the question is: What exercises can I do that will help me to shed/shred these pounds?

I have started walking at work on my lunch break. We have a path that is about a mile and half out and back. There is also a bike trail near my house that I plan on walking on my days off.

Help?

Please?

OK, any exercise suggestions I might give, however well intentioned, might make it much worse. You have some very serious damage working against each other. This is not a situation for my amateur advice.

1. You have a physical therapist working with you for all these injuries, don't you? Please yes? If so, follow your professionals' suggestions for therapy.

2. How far are you willing to change your eating habits to lose weight? Changing eating habits is more effective for losing weight than exercise. FIRST, check with your doc. At that weight and height, he may be able to direct you to a program or nutritionist to create a food plan that will take off the weight at an appropriate rate.

---
    And I like your progress bar. We have 3 Siberian Huskies.
  • ShannaDBowser

OK, any exercise suggestions I might give, however well intentioned, might make it much worse. You have some very serious damage working against each other. This is not a situation for my amateur advice.

1. You have a physical therapist working with you for all these injuries, don't you? Please yes? If so, follow your professionals' suggestions for therapy.

2. How far are you willing to change your eating habits to lose weight? Changing eating habits is more effective for losing weight than exercise. FIRST, check with your doc. At that weight and height, he may be able to direct you to a program or nutritionist to create a food plan that will take off the weight at an appropriate rate.

---
    And I like your progress bar. We have 3 Siberian Huskies.

Yes, I have been to a physical therapist for all of my medical issues. I have been trying to continue the exercises they recommend, which are to strengthen and stabilize my core, lengthen my calves, and balance my thighs. They have all recommended that I lose weight, but beyond my already decreasing caloric intake, haven't really offered an opinion on how. Except my therapist for my back. She suggested the Wii Fit - called it Wii-hab. ^_^ Plus, the last time I talked to a nutritionist doctor on losing weight, she told me to cut out 1/3 of what I eat from every meal. The MFP app for my droid has given me more help than that advice. I have been under my caloric intake every day for the past two weeks, with the exception of two days.

I realize that at my current weight it is near dangerous for me to do hardcore physical exercise. I tried bike riding for a while, but stuff happened. Then again, stuff always happens.

----

And thanks on the compliment. I love dogs and had that photo as a background on my computer.
  • ShannaDBowser
    *bump*