Need new snacks...please help

Options
I am looking to improve and expand my snack time foods. I am interested in any suggestions for high protein, low carb, low fat, low sodium snacks?

I need more protein in my diet but that usually brings with it fat or sodium. Any help you can send my way would be awesome!

Replies

• allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What about a protein shake? I usually drink one for lunch, but they can be a great snack too. I also eat chicken and salad (or pieces of chicken on a crunchy lettuce leaf instead of a cracker, spicy chicken sausage, and these last few are not high protein, but I love them as snacks - raw veggies and a low fat dip or hummus and vegetable soup. I've been having a big bowl of homemade vegetable soup every day now that it's getting cold. You could add chicken or turkey to it and turn it into a high protein snack. Basically, I eat a meal, but a tiny portion!

-Allison
  • Hbartels
    Hbartels Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love soy sauce eggs. I make a batch of four and store the other three to grab and munch during the week. You can use a low sodium soy sauce, but tamari is best.
    Here's a recipe- http://rasamalaysia.com/soy-sauce-eggs-shoyu-tamago/
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually go to a sliced apple with a tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter. A hard-boiled egg. A handful of raw almonds. Low-sodium tuna. A hunk of light cheese. Veggies dipped in hummus. Fat-free popcorn. Celery sticks with peanut butter.
  • TriciaAnn81
    Options
    I really like the "Special K Multi grain baked crackers' and then I use Weight Watchers spreadable swiss cheese on them. Also enjoy Light and fit yogurt with a table spoon of granola in it. Nuts are always good (almonds, pistachios).
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    This may be a bit boring, but I like 2 oz of chicken breast and 1/4 cup brown rice.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Do you like shrimp? Cocktail shrimp marinated in a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs makes a nice base for a quickie-snack lettuce wrap.

Also try edamame in pods from the freezer section. Nuke and eat the beans out of the pods. I like 'em plain or with a wee bit of salt if I don't have a weigh-in for a couple of days. ;)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled egg
    Mini cheese
    Roast soy beans or wasabi peas
    Crab sticks
    slice of parma ham
    almonds or walnuts
    humous with vegetable dippers
    sunflower seeds
    greek yoghurt
  • peter821
    peter821 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein Gum! It's fantastic. 15g of protein per piece, no fat and no sodium. :laugh:

I'm kidding of course, but find a protein powder you like, and try mixing it with some unsweetened almond milk. Blend with ice and savor the taste! You will love it.
  • Cinbeth
    Cinbeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My favorite new snack is Turkey pepperoni slices (70% ff) with a sliced up apple.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Do you like shrimp? Cocktail shrimp marinated in a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs makes a nice base for a quickie-snack lettuce wrap.

Also try edamame in pods from the freezer section. Nuke and eat the beans out of the pods. I like 'em plain or with a wee bit of salt if I don't have a weigh-in for a couple of days. ;)

I really like the lettuce wrap idea. Might turn into higher sodium but it is something I could store in my fridge at school and requires only minimal heat up. Must experiment to find the best chicken mix and shrimp mix to eat as a lettuce wrap. I love lettuce wraps from pei wei or pf changs so I think that I will try this. More prep on sundays to get ready for the week but should be worth it.
  • ADTeachTX
    ADTeachTX Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Recommendations for a protein powder....

I hate protein bars and protein shakes such as adkins or special k so I guess I am real particular here.
  • Nikkie_too
    Options

I really like the lettuce wrap idea. Might turn into higher sodium but it is something I could store in my fridge at school and requires only minimal heat up. Must experiment to find the best chicken mix and shrimp mix to eat as a lettuce wrap. I love lettuce wraps from pei wei or pf changs so I think that I will try this. More prep on sundays to get ready for the week but should be worth it.

Yeah - for real lettuce wraps you can't really get around soy-sauce (which is liquid salt!), but think outside the classic Asian-flavor box. No reason a shrimp lettuce wrap can't be salsa-fied, or curried. :)
  • Nikkie_too
    Options

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm loving anything that resembles chips (crisps) at the moment!

-Freeze dried apple chips
    -sweet potato crisps
    -dried coconut chips

My 3 fav snacks atm.