Thinking of becoming a Personal Trainer...

Options
...and would like any input I can get on the matter from anyone who has done it; i.e., How do you like it? Pros and Cons? What program did you use to certify? Better to work for someone or try to start your own business?Etc, etc...ANY and ALL help and input will be appreciated. Answer here or Friend Request me and shoot me a message. Thank you!

Replies

• dannylives
    Options
    Check the gyms where you live and see which certifications they will hire you with. Some gyms only take a certain certification. Iv'e started the NASM program but havent finished it yet. NASM, ACSM, and NSCA are the top 3 if i remember correctly. Google top5 or top 10 personal trainer certifications.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    ACE is really popular too
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I'm not personally but I have 3 or 4 buddies that are and a big down side I've seen is that PT's are a dime a dozen these days. Not to mention if I remember correctly my buddy paid about 4 grand for his schooling for it. I would of honestly done something along these lines but the money just isn't there unless you're training professional athletes or something. Don't want to deter you if it's your dream then go for it but personally I'm not too fond of the idea.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If they mention meal frequency, PWO dextrose, and insulin spiking in your PT training, please find a different program.

=)
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm contemplating this as well. I have done it in the past during college but never was certified (spent hours and hours doing research so was informed). It's great to do if you enjoy it and it's nice helping people as well. I'm not sure which certification to get, that I'm still researching because there are so many out there. I'm not sure what you do for a living but a personal trainer doesnt start out with a high income and it's hard to really become "wealthy" without a niche (depends on your idea of wealthy so don't judge me on that comment). Around my area they cap at around $50,000 if you work at a gym. On the other hand, a friend of mine works at a gym in the city and makes $100 per spinning class because he has become a top spinning instructor in the area. He works in my field and then teaches 2 classes a day on the side for fun really. Another con is hearing people complain and not commit to the plan that you spend hours creating. That always was annoying when I did training back in the day... wasnt the time that I spent, it was how you just KNOW if they followed the plan even halfway they'd achieve so much. All of that said, I'm still contemplating becoming one on the side as well to see if it takes me anywhere. It's worth a shot, if you enjoy it, try it part-time, gyms always look for them so it's worth a try :-) At this moment I don't plan on leaving my career but maybe there's a niche out there for us. I've already thought of classes and specialized sports training. i say go for it, but keep finances, stress of complaints, and odd scheduling in mind :-) but do it! and please no comments regarding my "wealth" comment, personal trainers can make a lot of money after established but my research for my local area doesn't seem to pay well, especially to start.
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have been a practicing, certified nearly full time trainer since 1999. I loooove my job but it is long days, hard work, and requires lots of patience. I am ACE certified. There are several good ones out there. My personal top two are NASM and ACE. In my best years I made 40k and probably average about 30k in take home. I own my own business now though so alot of my gross pay goes back into work. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ You sir, have all the good links.
  • adpollard001
    Options
    @k7n2w3 : I asked for input, you gave it, no worries :)

Anyone here of ISSA? Or is NASM and ACE the way to go? I'm currently in the NH Army National Guard, just returned home from a deployment and am really getting involved in fitness. Not thinking that PT is a get-rich-quick type of thing, I just think I'd really enjoy it. Thanks for all the info!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I just ordered my ACE study materials.

I emailed a trainer that used to live near me, he called me, I shadowed him for a couple sessions, he offered me a job.

I am planning on working 10-25 hours/week. Thanks to my husband's job, I don't really need a big income, it's just something I really believe in and want to do. The trainer I will be working for makes some good money though.
  • 1fiercebutterfly
    1fiercebutterfly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ACSM is where i got certified. I love my work. and I am a work in progress. Just be prepared to constantly learn new things.
    pros: money, fun, enjoyable environment, with this certification i can work anywhere

cons: takes time to build clientele
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sure :-) I wish there was a lot of money in it though! haha I work in the investment field and if the income was equivalent it would be a no brainer... well it would be a hard choice cuz both are passions of mine so maybe it's better that it is decided FOR me haha Good luck with it!!!
  • sooman10
    sooman10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing my research for PT courses in the UK. The three main companies are YMCAfit, Premier and Future Fit. I would like to do the course part time as I have a full time job.
    Is there anyone on this site in the UK who can advise on any of three companies and which one is best? I have read YMCAfit is the most recognised here in the UK and abroad. They are my first choice. I have signed up to go to an open evening.

Being in my 40ish I am looking for a new career in the fitness industry. I have had PT sessions and really enjoyed the extra motivation they give. I want to be able to give that motivation to someone else. Do you think being in my 40is is too late to enter this industry?
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    Options
    Bump
  • faithog
    Options
    Bump