Anyone else with this problem?

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone else is finding it pretty difficult to stay under the sodium levels? I have cut out frozen foods which has helped a lot but I still find i'll be going over by 100-300 from time to time and it's very irritating.

Replies

• Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not really since I eat very little processed food.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not usually, I cook most of my own meals so I can control how much salt goes in.

Are you tracking sodium in your diary - if not, turn it on so you can see just which foods are making you go over.

If I do go over though, I go back to my diary to pinpoint where the sodium is coming from - I adjusted a few of my recipes to reduce the sodium level and you might like to do the same with meals/snacks.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Some days its hard! Lunch meat gets me D:
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i always go over, you pretty much have to eat all fresh food, no canned stuff, etc...simply cutting table salt and frozen dinners wasn't enough for me, so i still have work to do
  • aWashCloth
    aWashCloth Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Find the stuff that has the highest sodium levels in your diet and try and exchange it for something with less sodium that will still fill you up. Try more vegetables and other low sodium choices. Good luck.
  • jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am a really picky eater and a horrible cook. I struggle with my sodium. I eat a lot of processed crap and I really need to cut back. The beauty of this post is 2 months ago I would have had no clue what my sodium intake was.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    cut out frozen food? you mean frozen meals? fresh frozen veggies shouldn't have too much sodium. Cut out the canned goods- canned is the WORST for sodium and processed. if you really mean it, put the salt shaker away- OFF the table & out of sight. Don't salt while you're cooking. Don't salt ANYTHING til after you taste it & then MEASURE.
    You'll get it under control in no time
    best wishes!
  • judykritikos
    Options
    Last month our book club met at Chili's - we had queso and chips. Then I read the on-line info and nearly stroked out. There's something like 2500 mg of sodium. Geez. That's my limit for the rest of the year....maybe two! Bad me! And I notice on those cup-o-noodle soups are sky high, too. Pretty much all the frozen "healthy" lunches I eat are high, too. Geez, I'm gonna only be able to eat roots and berries from the forrest!
  • cr0wneddynam0
    Options
    Are your sodium levels preventing you from losing weight? I usually drink my 8 glasses of water if not more in a day and if I over do it with the sodium, it rarely if ever affects my ability to lose. It depends on how important your sodium intake is to you and if you feel that is what is truly holding you back or not.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Sodium is 2,500 no matter what your calorie intake. A lot easier for a person who eats 1200 to say under than one who eats 2500. Unless you are hypertensive, there is no point in worrying.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't have blood pressure or heart problems, so I really don't worry about sodium.
  • cookc04
    cookc04 Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow - I don't have this problem at all, I only get about 1/3 of the salt that is suggested.
    How?
    Fresh fruit and veges, don't have a salt shaker, don't drink pop- actually I use spices with salt in them for my meat every so often because I need to add salt to my diet.

When I do get the salt that is suggested I put on atleast 2lb for 3-4 days.

Just remember when you are eating lots of flavour rich food (such as sugar or salt) everything tastes bland for about a week, after that your body adjusts and you become more sensitive to it and crave it anymore, unless you actually need it.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Well that's the problem I don't eat fast foods nor do I eat processed. I make most of my meals by myself (and yes I eat fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis and I drink 3 water bottles a day) I haven't had soda in over 4 years the only drinks I have aside from water is skim milk but I don't know I haven't had much of a problem with it till this week. The only other thing is I do love to have snacks every night but it's usually a small bowl of popcorn or a rice crispy treat so I don't know. I always end up having a lot of calories to spend by the end of the night. It just sucks knowing you're eating fairly clean and having to go back and monitor your intake even more.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't bad for you, unless you have heart problems.
  • Leah789
    Leah789 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the sodium reducing tips, I'm going to use these too.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The only other thing is I do love to have snacks every night but it's usually a small bowl of popcorn or a rice crispy treat so I don't know. I always end up having a lot of calories to spend by the end of the night. It just sucks knowing you're eating fairly clean and having to go back and monitor your intake even more.

if that may be where all the extra sodium is coming from then maybe try changing up your snacks for snacks with lower sodium. i never used to track sodium and still ended up around 2500. now that i've substituted stuff out i get somewhere around 1500 a day. if i'm going to eat soup or frozen foods i'll look for the version with the least sodium and i don't eat popcorn or rice crispy treats if I just have calories left over at the end of the day - instead i'll have an apple or carrots or something along those lines.

also if you're sodium level is high, you should definitely try to get your water intake up to keep your body fluid and keep your potassium up as well (lots of fruits & veggies are high in potassium). if you don't really have any medical condition i don't know if its necessary to track your sodium but you do want to keep it in mind so that it doesn't become a problem.