I've lost 175 lbs, getting discouraged about the saggy skin

Options
Over the last 1.5 yrs I've lost a total of 175 lbs the healthy way with nutrition and exercise... I still have another 70 to go but I'm getting discouraged... I feel and look great when I have clothes on but when I'm shirtless and look in the mirror look and feel deflated... I never had any problem going shirtless at the beach or the lake when I was big and now, I am very self conscious.. Is there anything I can do other than surgery?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    First off, CONGRATS on losing that much weight!! That's an entire person you lost! I don't know that there is a whole lot you can do minus surgery. Unfortunately, our skin can only be stretched so far before it loses the elasticity and won't shrink back to its original size.
  • Helena4
    Helena4 Posts: 124
    Options
    Strength training will really help you to tone up. Also - in the UK we have things called Power Plates. I don't know if you have them? But they are vibrating plates that help to burn up to 300 calories in 10 minute work out and they really help toning. It's worth looking into them :)
  • chloemeow
    chloemeow Posts: 71
    Options
    Yeah, sadly, its true.
    When you get past a certain point, your skin just wont stretch back, people will say toning, but that usually only works for people who lose like 20 pounds, congrats on your weightloss though, i bet you look wonderful!
  • arcticlynx1
    arcticlynx1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I remember hearing that hot tubs or hot springs could help reduce excess skin. Any truth to that?

I know as a former commercial fishermen that ocean water (usually cold) seemed to tighten up skin with exposure. Not sure if that is only a temporary thing though.

Surely at the very least, over time our bodies must self correct somehow.
  • fraises
    fraises Posts: 16
    Options
    It's probably not as bad as you think + time will reduce the sag a little bit more. A tan would help hide it as well
    Congrats on the loss!
  • socaljoe
    socaljoe Posts: 4
    Options
    I've see the power plates but everywhere that has them is really expensive to join. As for the toning and muscle building they can only get so big. As for tanning, that definitely helps. I guess I am resigned to the fact that when I get to where I want to be I will have to get a complete body lift. Until then, still looking for things that will help and always open to suggestions. Thanks guys!
  • socaljoe
    socaljoe Posts: 4
    Options
    its really weird to see how stretchy my skin is heh heh
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Over the last 1.5 yrs I've lost a total of 175 lbs the healthy way with nutrition and exercise... I still have another 70 to go but I'm getting discouraged... I feel and look great when I have clothes on but when I'm shirtless and look in the mirror look and feel deflated... I never had any problem going shirtless at the beach or the lake when I was big and now, I am very self conscious.. Is there anything I can do other than surgery?

If you have health insurance, go talk to your GP. Having excess skin can sometimes lead to infection and sores. Let him/her evaluate you for any necessary surgical help that might be available. Best of luck to you.
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options

If you have health insurance, go talk to your GP. Having excess skin can sometimes lead to infection and sores. Let him/her evaluate you for any necessary surgical help that might be available. Best of luck to you.

I concur. Do your excess skin folds get red, bumpy, itchy or rashy? Unfortunately, excess skin removal is generally considered a cosmetic surgery - but if you have recurrent yeast or bacterial infections, insurance might cover it. At least speak with a doctor about it, maybe get a couple of plastics referrals and go talk to them. If you're not a candidate for surgery that's covered by insurance, you could at least get some questions answered and get some quotes.
  • WalkWell
    Options
    You lost 175lb in 18months- you are an absolute champ- do not be discouraged by anything body image related- you are a true success story in that area.
  • Leah789
    Leah789 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think many people do and would feel the same way about their sagging skin after such a successful weight loss. However, I would encourage you to think of your body beyond the appearance. It is so much healthier, easier to move, your physical home, something that keeps you protected, your vehicle to the world, and something your loved ones' can hug. You've done an amazing job, AMAZING. Maybe surgery could help. Either way, your treating your body well, with the weight loss. Congratulations and keep it up :happy: