Why Isn't the Weight Coming Off?

Options
2»

Replies

• Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh my so many great suggestions! Thank you so much. A lot of light has been shed on what could be going on here. I REALLY appreciate everyone's imput! I will make some adjustments for sure. Thanks again everyone! You have given me hope! :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You don't eat enough. The min is 1200 net. You can't eat 1200 and burn 1200, that leaves nothing to fuel your body.

You are starving yourself and burning muscle in the process.

If you want to exercise that much, you have to eat more. MFP has a built in defict so you need to keep the net calories at 1200 unless under Drs ordered.

Less processed will help but main issue here is the lack of food!

Best of Luck!
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Try cooking your own food so you can control what's in it. Less processed = clean. I do enjoy taco-seasoned beef, but those seasoning packets are just loaded with sodium. According to the recipe, 1 packet seasons 1 lb of meat but comes with a price of 370 mg of sodium per serving. So, I got 2 lbs of meat and used one packet. It didn't compromise the flavor and it had less sodium AND less calories :D
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I burned over 4100 calories this week, and I only lost .2 lbs. POINT TWO. That's it.

Please check out my food/exercise diary and tell me what you think! What is going on here?

I picked up the pace on exercising this week because what I was doing before wasn't showing results either. ARgh.

Thanks for any insight!

~Lisa

Hi Lisa. I want to start off by saying that scale weight loss and fat loss aren't the same thing.

It's stated that a healthy weight loss is 1 -2 pounds a week. This is talking about fat loss and not scale weight loss.

The scale doesn't have to barely move, in order for a person to lose pounds of fat.

Have you consider tracking your body fat percentage? It will help you see the difference between scale weight loss and fat loss. There's a formula you have to use.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Oh my so many great suggestions! Thank you so much. A lot of light has been shed on what could be going on here. I REALLY appreciate everyone's imput! I will make some adjustments for sure. Thanks again everyone! You have given me hope! :)
    First and foremost I hate snooping in folks food diaries. I'm not going to analyse what you eat, but look more at calories rather than whether you're eating too many carbs, not enough protein, clean or processed etc.

However, what concerns me more concerned are the days when nothing is logged! Are you fasting on these days or was there a reason why you didn't log them.

If you eat a calorie deficit you will lose weight. It might not be 1-2lbs every week, but it will be a loss.

Many folk over-estimate the calories burnt during exercise and under-estimate the calories consumed. As a woman you are also more prone to hormonal fluctuations, water retention and the like. Looking at your profile pic you don't look like a BIG lady and you've lost 24lbs already which is a great effort.

Slow and steady is good. You do need patience in this weight-loss world, because it's the only way to adjust psychologically to eating within your TDEE calories and getting into a fitness and exercise routine.

You're doing really well!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I burned over 4100 calories this week, and I only lost .2 lbs. POINT TWO. That's it.

Please check out my food/exercise diary and tell me what you think! What is going on here?

I picked up the pace on exercising this week because what I was doing before wasn't showing results either. ARgh.

Thanks for any insight!

~Lisa

Your macros look way out of whack. 80 grams of protein and 200-300 grams of carbs? And yes, your sodium is way too high, coming from the processed dinners. If you are going to eat nuts, stick to almonds, not peanuts.
    There isn't anything in your exercise log that I can see, so I can't tell what kind of activity you are doing, but you may need to increase your exercise intensity level.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Have had a peek and No expert here but I'd say
    * eat back your exercise calories (you need to fuel your body or your body will go into starvation mode and store fat) - if not hungry have some nuts or something light.
    * more clean protein - even an egg for breakfast or something?
    * switch the sugar loaded juice for water
    * try more fresh veges...more salads and vege snacks - that will help with the sodium
    * are you varying your exercise?
    good luck... I am sure things will start to happen!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Looks like to me that you've received a lot of honest advice and have a number of things to try to see what works for YOU! I do agree, though, that using processed foods could be an area you may try to improve. I am so guilty of the same, thing, though… they are quick, easy, and easy to track nutrient-wise… so do what I say, not what I do ;0). Really, the reason I'm replying though is your profile states you are concerned about diabetes. So am I. Type 2 runs on both sides of my family, one mostly weight related and the other side not weight-related at all. My advice it to go out to the American Diabetes Associate site and read… they have a ton of great information, even if you're not diabetic yet. Yes, you need to "dump" the ADDED sugars from your diet and the fruit juices. Fruit is fine, but eating whole fruit is a whole different process for your body than just drinking the juice. I love, love, love orange juice, but I limit myself now to ½ cup on each weekend day only. However, during the week, I eat whole fruits (fresh preferably… but winter is coming) at almost every meal.

Remember… it's really not just about the number of calories, it's also about the quality of calories - including the ratio of your carbs, proteins, and fats. I don't think there's any magic number that meets everyone's needs, so start somewhere and use a little trial and error to find out what works for you!

Best of luck… BTW, there should be some sort of entry in the exercise database for energy burned keeping up with 8 kids! :happy:
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie update....

I've tried a few things including making sure I eat all my calories, plus some of my exercise calories, though I haven't done as well with the latter. I've also tried to drink more water.

I usually don't weight myself very often, but obviously did last Friday, and thus started the rant in my OP. I weighed myself this evening and guess what??? I LOST 1.6 lbs!!!!! I'll take it gleefully, doing a goodie goodie dance and screeching with joy.

Just wanted to say a thank you for all the helpful tips here! It got me going in the right direction for sure! I have HOPE again! I didn't have to restrain myself from hurling the scale out the window.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    glad to hear the good update!!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I know for me/my husband sodium is a big problem. Drink alot of water. Also, I know it seems like a ton, but try to eat back more of your calories, some of those deficits are huge! On days when you intend to burn a large amount of calories plan to eat a bigger breakfast, a snack, and a big lunch.

You might also want to make sure you're getting enough fiber, I don't lose much weight if I'm under my fiber, so I try to keep fiber-laden foods around: apples, whole grain toast for breakfast (this week I slacked), baby spinach, nuts, pears, other fruits and veggies, you get the idea, haha.

Good luck!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Just saw you've had progress, so congrats!
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    great news!
  • EliRob
    EliRob Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ...One quick thing according to your diary you could change -- buy better yogurt. Look for fage 0% or chobani 0% and add to it yourself instead of buying fruity yogurt. Read the label -- if the yogurt has more sugar/carbs than protein its not worth it. ...

Thank you MissMaryMac33! I didnt know that! Great info!

Good luck Beehiveof8! Glad to hear things have turned around!
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This thread really helpled me too. Good ideas and advice.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is the most that we should be losing. I would think that you are doing great.