How to target my problem area?

Options
Hey y'all. Since I want to work on general fat loss I know I'll need a good exercise balance of cardio and weights but there is one particular problem area I'd reaaaaaaaaaaaaally like to reduce the fat in. That would be my upper back! There's more excess fat back there than I'd care to admit and if anyone can give me some good exercises for targeting the upper back/shoulder blade region I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    unfortunately you cant spot target fat.
  • daniela3264352
    Options
    Hey :) I don't mean to sound rude, but do you find tummy fat a problem area too? Sometimes(well, often) fat distribution can be affected by hormones...if I remember right, cortisol contributes to holding more weight around the middle and also can cause excess fat in the upper back area while the limbs remain relatively slender.
    Cortisol levels are related to stress...google it for more info, i'm not 100% sure if i'm right but I hope this helps :)
  • nifnif
    nifnif Posts: 22
    Options
    you cannot spot target fat. all you can do is make sure your body is getting a good amount of healthy fats, and in optimum health, so that your fat is distributed in a way that is at its best within your predisposed genetic limits.
    that, and make sure not to work the muscles there too much, because then that area will just look bulkier.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    You can do targeted exercises for muscles in certain areas of the body, but there's no such thing as targeted fat loss, unfortunately. You'll be able to strengthen the underlying muscles, but until you get further along in your weight loss and your body starts losing the fat from there, you won't see the toning happening from the workouts.

That said, I do both standing and seated rows as well as lat pulldowns and overhead press. I don't do targeted muscle workouts, I do a full body regimen as part of my training program for running, but those all work that area. Good luck! :)
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    As many before me have stated you cant target areas to lose, the body adjusts at its own rate, however try medium squats with a back row using about 4kg weights, these should help create a nice V taper on the top of your shoulders and shoulder blade area, creating a narrower looking frame around the waist :-D
  • ley717
    ley717 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey :) I don't mean to sound rude, but do you find tummy fat a problem area too? Sometimes(well, often) fat distribution can be affected by hormones...if I remember right, cortisol contributes to holding more weight around the middle and also can cause excess fat in the upper back area while the limbs remain relatively slender.
    Cortisol levels are related to stress...google it for more info, i'm not 100% sure if i'm right but I hope this helps :)

I do have some fat in my lower stomach but it's not a super large amount. My limbs are relatively lean though, so perhaps cortisol levels might be the problem? As a senior in college who also works it's hard to avoid stress, but any tips on lowering my cortisol would be welcome.

Even if that's not the problem, it can't hurt to try lol.