High colestreol

Options
my doctor told me i have high colesterol...in need of tips on how to bring it down...what can cut out of my diet and not miss to much. lol. any ideas please?:-)

Replies

• kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sugar. It's all about Insulin.
  • ingies2011
    ingies2011 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy, exercise, take metamucil or some other from of psyllium fibre, and a sterol spread. Good luck, oh yeah and porridge has also been shown to lower cholesterol.
  • fieldfare
    Options
    I'm in the habit of reading food labels while shopping and try to avoid foods with high saturated fat content. Could use lower fat spreads if you don't already, buy leaner cuts of meat and trim visible fat before cooking, choose lower fat dairy products, use unsaturated fats for cooking like olive oil or rapeseed oil. Bake, steam or boil instead of frying food, or use a very small amount of oil for frying. Choose lower fat snacks. Some foods help lower cholesterol, eg porridge oats.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I was told that my cholesterol was high, my doctor told me to exercise regularly, eat more fiber like oatmeal, and reduce my saturated fat intake. My cholesterol is now normal levels doing these things.
  • sarah8180
    Options
    My cholesterol was high and trygicerides were too even though I had what I feel is a balanced diet. I watched calories using the site and did 11 weeks with a personal trainer with no results... I took my reports and food diaries from the site to doctors and turns out I have an underactive thyroid - once the medication kicks in it will help get the metabolism moving and get levels back to normal.
    Maybe my case is rare because I am on other hormone tablets but if you feel your doing all you can diet and excercise wise maybe ask for a blood test.

:)
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    my doctor told me i have high colesterol...in need of tips on how to bring it down...what can cut out of my diet and not miss to much. lol. any ideas please?:-)

Um, did you ask the doc? He stated you have high cholesterol, I'm thinking he has some suggestions to lower it. You are paying him - he should help you get well, which is his job.
  • elemstuck
    Options
    My chol. was up in the 230's a year and a half ago. I was put on Zocor and it brought my level down to the 170's where it leveled off on the meds. I then started riding my bike 15 miles/day and using myfitnesspal to track my eating and four months later my chol. was down to 117. My doctor took me off meds and said I didn't need to have them checked for a year, but I think I am going to go in at 6 months just to see how much they go up without the meds while still exercising and watching what I eat. I know they will go up, but hopefully still within a healthy range to stay off meds.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Lose weight.
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    My husband has high cholesterol, his doctor advised eating oats, cutting down on red meat, eggs, alcohol and to get exercise on a regular basis. We do eat very healthy and we rarely fry anything....baked, broiled or grilled. For him even after total compliance his cholesterol remained high so he now has to take medication along with continuing to do the above-mentioned.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Eat more polyunsaturated fats (w6 and w3's).
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Eat more polyunsaturated fats (w6 and w3's).

and that..
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Lose weight.

Pretty much this.

If you smoke, quit smoking. Exercise often. Eating foods high in omega 3's will help raise your HDL.

Mind posting your numbers? High total cholesterol isn't always a good indicator of CVD risk.
  • kimber_av
    Options
    Make sure you exercise! Also watch your foods that are high in cholesterol so read your labels and see which are the highest and cut back.
    Eat more veggies and grains
    maybe switch to soy/almond milk
    and take fish oil pills.

Thats the best ways to try to do it naturally. I'd give that a shot before taxing yoru liver with a pill. ugh. There are simple changes to make.