belly fat...

Options
I know this question has been asked but I will ask again.....my core is tight from pilates and crunches but I still have flab like mad....my questions do I have to live with this or is it all about cardio and lower carbs? I watch my calories but am not always dedicated on the weekends...i like my drink and pizza..know what i mean? Just wondering if this is what i will have to settle with-unless i want to starve myself...Thanks for any replies..

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Skydemon53
    Skydemon53 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can't localize fat loss, so all the situps in the world won't get rid of that belly fat. The only way is to continue to burn off more calories than you consume. For me (and I think most of us), the belly fat is some of the last to go. I've met my goal weight, but still have some of that flab on my belly...I'm working to convert more of that belly fat to muscle. The biggest thing for long term weight loss is to take it off slowly...starving yourself may yield fast weight loss initially, but will put your body into starvation mode, which will cause your body to store whatever you eat as fat (and likely just where you don't want it).
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Getting your abs/core into shape is just as much about your diet as it is about the exercises you do to focus on strengthening your core. As my favorite fitness trainer Chalene Johnson says, your abs are made in the kitchen. That does not necessarily mean going LOW CARB! It means make sure whatever carbs you do eat are from whole grain foods as well as eating your fruits and veggies, lean protein sources, and drinking plenty of water.

Look at what you are eating - if you're not doing so yet, I would recommend using MFP to track your foods - total calories as well as % of carbs, proteins, and fats.

Let me know if you have any other questions! I've been successful in losing and keeping off 30 pounds and have flatter abs now then I did when I was 20!

Mel
  • nifnif
    nifnif Posts: 22
    Options
    Get optimum nutrition and be healthy. Your bodyfat distribution will automatically go to a healthy shape, within your genetic limitations. Do lots of relaxed walking -- it will help your skin to naturally firm up.
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is an easy question to answer! You can have the strongest most well formed abs in the world but if they are covered in a lair of fat, you wont ever see them. So the question is do you wanna eat pizza more than you wanna see your abs? Diet and cardio work will strip the fat off relatively quickly. Your success or lack of it will depend on your dedication, amount of work you are prepared to do and your willpower. Unfortunately it is very true that the models and film stars who have very visible abs DO NOT eat pizza and drink alcohol! So its up to you. How much do you want it??
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Work your drinks and pizza in your calories allowance :)
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i have had 4 c sections.....all different cuts figuring that this might have something to do with this-the only time i was really happy with my belly(besides b4 kids) was after baby #3 and my DH and I did atkins then I really did lose the weight and my bell looked pretty darn good..just not sure if i can go there full blown low carb again..have tried but with epic fail.... yes drinks and pizza dont help.. i know that....just wondering if more cardio might help-I always seem to feel better when I get that in.....thanks again for your help:)
  • nomoremuffintop42
    Options
    bump
  • rockabillymama
    rockabillymama Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bump this too because I watch my fat and my diet, and my baby abandoned property just sort of hangs there now. The fat is going but the skin isn;t tightening at all.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    What works for me: combining strength training, cardio and calorie deficit. Strength training (whole body not only core) helps building stronger muscles while cardio and calories deficit help burning the layer of fat!
  • nomoremuffintop42
    Options
    What works for me: combining strength training, cardio and calorie deficit. Strength training (whole body not only core) helps building stronger muscles while cardio and calories deficit help burning the layer of fat!

what kind of strength training....do you mea?n i have do shred again? I have done it 3 times longest i have lasted was 20 days was not to bad...i felt good-i just get bored after awhile maybe if i didn't do it everyday but did it a few times a week that might be helpful?
    any imput would be great:)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    consistent caloric deficit...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    consistent caloric deficit...

brokenrecord.jpg
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    what kind of strength training....do you mean?

Strength training = using weights during your workouts. There are two programs I've done that have gotten me fabulous results - P90X and Chalean Extreme. I prefer Chalean Extreme over P90X because the trainer is more my style, her workouts are really fun, and they're 45 minutes or less in length.

Mel