Can slow eating help weight loss?

Options
I thought I'd share this article from the BBC News website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15447568

The text of it reads as follows:

Can slow eating help weight loss? By Jane Hughes

We can all think of times when we have gobbled down food without even really tasting it.

But could that kind of high speed eating contribute to weight gain?

This is the question being posed by researchers working in Europe's most advanced 'flab lab', a unit that does hi-tech research into obesity.

Its official name is a whole body calorimeter and scientists at the University Hospital Coventry and the University of Warwick are hoping it will help them have a better understanding of how food, exercise, medicines and sleep affect our weight.

One of their first experiments is into the speed of eating, the way it changes appetite, and the rate at which energy is burned up.

Helga Perry is one of about a dozen patients taking part. She will spend three separate days in the lab, which is an air-locked chamber that makes very precise calculations of how much energy she burns.

Fast food

On day one of the experiment, she will eat lunch in 10 minutes, on the second day she will be told to take 20 minutes, and on a third, she will have a 40-minute meal. The researchers control this by dividing her sandwich and yoghurt into small portions and giving them to her at five-minute intervals.

At the end of the day her appetite levels are tested when she is offered an all-you-can-eat selection of food.

Helga Perry has her lunch delivered to the lab in small portions Provisional research from Japan suggests that eating more slowly may help suppress the appetite and lower the risk of developing diabetes.

The researchers at University Hospital Coventry say they want to see whether they reach the same conclusion in this more carefully controlled trial.

Lead researcher Dr Tom Barber says the experiment could add to scientific knowledge about obesity: "If you prolong your meal this could, over time, actually promote weight loss."

Obesity epidemic

Almost one in four of all adults in the UK are currently obese and by 2050 that is expected to rise to one in two.

Helga Perry says she is taking part in the trial because she thinks it is important to help increase the understanding of obesity.

"If it does something to help people who've struggled to lose weight, like me, then it can only be a good thing," she said.

Prof Sudhesh Kumar. who runs the unit, also hopes to investigate links between obesity and diabetes. Prof Sudhesh Kumar runs the flab lab - the Human Metabolic Research Unit. He said: "The research potential of this new unit is vast, we are looking forward to being able to make a difference to patients around the world."

At the end of her second day of taking part in the trial, Helga Perry emerges from the sealed unit with a sigh of relief and takes a deep breath of fresh air.

She spent her day reading and browsing the web, so she hasn't been bored, but she did find it confining. "It was like being in a submarine," she observes.

She says she found it interesting to be forced to eat so slowly: "I usually gobble my food down, it felt as if I tasted my lunch properly."

She ate a small portion of food at the end of the day, but did not feel very hungry.

The researchers do not expect results for a few months, but ultimately they hope to offer some answers to the many questions about the causes of the world's obesity epidemic.

Replies

• Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've seen that too.
    I think it's only common sense that if you eat slowly and take your time to chew food, it will digest faster and create a better digestion. I've seen a BBC programme where obese people were made to keep victorian diets and in the victorian times people were said to chew their food 20 times before swallowing in order to aid digestion and keeping fit.

I'm sure some part of it is true otherwise they wouldn't broadcast it!
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Interesting info.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    If you eat more slowly, your stomach has more time to recognize when it's full, so you're less likely to over eat and stuff your gut to an uncomfortable level. :) Eating more slowly, chewing food longer, and taking smaller bites has definitely helped me succeed in eating less numerous times. I'd say it's true.
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the BBC website earlier, it seems a bit like another bit of classic BBC "stating the flipping obvious" reporting.
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the BBC website earlier, it seems a bit like another bit of classic BBC "stating the flipping obvious" reporting.

This is what I thought. Thing is, there was a study into this. Wonder how much that cost? Sure there are far better things that money could have been spent on.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also saw this on BBC breakfast this morning. It's really interesting & makes sense but I have read about this quite a few times so not sure it's a new concept! Seems like they are now actually testing the theory. I must admit I do notice I am fuller if I am not eating in a rush so think there is something in it. Be interesting to hear an explanation as to why. :smile:
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options

This is what I thought. Thing is, there was a study into this. Wonder how much that cost? Sure there are far better things that money could have been spent on.

This may help us understand why eating slowly has an effect and give empirical confirmation that it actually does. I don't think it will answer all the questions on obesity, like why the US and Britain have a particular problem with it in comparison to say Japan which is an equally developed country.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I saw that too. I do agree that it can help but I also think (from a more personal perspective) that it's kind of gross and I wouldn't enjoy my food at all - chewing 40 times they said on breakfast - eww!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    LOL yeah I'd never chew my food that much either.
  • nifnif
    nifnif Posts: 22
    Options
    If you eat slowly, your body will get to break through more of the fiber in the food and have time for it to enter your bloodstream, signaling fullness before you eat more than you need.

The thing is, if you eat TOO slowly, or wait too long for hunger before you eat, you have a higher chance of either gorging yourself, or your body producing more cortisol (weight-regulating hormone) which will cause you to retain calories more stubbornly from the food you eat.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

:laugh: It is stating the obvious!! But then people in general seem to need the obvious stating - repeatedly in some instances!!

As individuals, we know there's no quick fix to losing weight and getting fit, but so many people believe in short-cuts, that they just have to find that miracle pill and they'll lose all the excess baggage and be super fit to boot too!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I want a job where I can get a grant to study the bleeding obvious and totally superfluous.

If you eat too fast you are in danger of overeating, because you are not giving your tummy time to tell the brain to stop. Then you end up with indigestion, or feeling bloated. On the other hand, when you take a long time over a meal... over several courses you can also over consume because you are pacing your eating and you also might not register the volume or the calories, although that can leave you fuller for longer I suppose and make you less likely to snack afterwards, although look at what happens at Christmas dinner :ohwell:

What I think they are doing though is taking say a 300kc portion and trying to measure whether there is any difference whether it's eaten in 10min, 20mins 30mins etc and I think what they will find is that if you eat within your TDEE maintenance it won't really matter whether you are having a quick lunch on-the-go or a 2-hour French banquet.

We shall no doubt be regaled with their findings in due course... just in time to start another round of diet myths :laugh:
  • wwcheapway
    Options
    \I have tired the timed eating myself and it works wonders for me.. I set the timer for 20min and most times by the end of the meal I dont want to finish what is left.....I am fuller and more sat then I would be if I ate it all in 10 min.. I was not hungry when I was done...
    So for me I dont have to wait for that report my body likes the 20min deal.

:bigsmile: