New, 50+ and determined

Options
Weight loss use to come easy for me when I was younger. Needed to get into those jeans by the weekend, no problem. Could drop a few pounds in no time. However not anymore. I've been trying to lose those extra pounds for years and it's just gotten harder.
This time I'm determined! I've started a walk/run program and I'm going to work on my portion control and calorie intake.
Any other 50+'ers out there with suggestions? Would love to hear them.
Thanks for your support!

Replies

• Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I joined a few days ago, I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. ENJOY!!!!
    Add me as a friend if you'd like.....
  • Yougonan
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I'm doing well and hope it continues. The walk/run is wonderful and I really enjoy it. I'm really trying to not exaggerate on my sizes or portions. And I think I'm doing well there. :smile:
    I'll keep in touch. Again thanks for your support!
  • melbasc
    melbasc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I will be 50 next July. I just started here Monday but I already feel so much more in control of my eating. I have also reached the point where I just can't lose like I could at one point in my life, which is what brought me to this site. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can try to tackle this together!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and have been on this site since end of February 2011. Just make a lot of friends on this site. It really helps to motivate you. Log in everything, every day. Do what exercise you can. I just walk 20-25 minutes a few times a week and so far have lost 54 pounds. Good luck. :smile:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome...I am 50 will be 51 in March, I really think you will love it here....you will find all the support and motivation you need. :flowerforyou:
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and have been on this site since end of February 2011. Just make a lot of friends on this site. It really helps to motivate you. Log in everything, every day. Do what exercise you can. I just walk 20-25 minutes a few times a week and so far have lost 54 pounds. Good luck. :smile:

What she said...laugh!

I will be celebrating my 57th next month...started here at the end of March. Really...what she said is right. Log in every day, log everything, exercise as and when you can...and BE PATIENT. I am finding that post menopause weight loss is a BEAR!!! My numbers sawtooth up and down with, fortunately, a net downward trend. I celebrate every loss, no matter how small!!!

I'll send you a friend request so we can stay in touch!

Trish
  • Yougonan
    Options
    Trish
    You and I have many similar interests after having read your profile. I too have a horse, two dogs, four grown kids and soon to have our fourth grandchild. My husband and I run our own businesses My hubby is a Feedlot consultant Veterinarian and oldest daughter is a small animal Veterinarian. Running two practices is time consuming but very enjoyable.
    I'm always gung-ho to start losing weight but slowly slide off the bandwagon. It won't happen this time.
    Thanks for being a friend.
    Pam
    PS - I'm Canadian.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Wow Pam! We do have a lot of intersecting life points!!! Glad we connected...looking forward to watching your downhill progress!
  • Yougonan
    Options
    Congratulations on your success! I only hope I can follow in "your footsteps".
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Hi and welcome:flowerforyou: .... I have have been on this site for nearly four weeks and think its brilliant although I am struggling to get the scales to start moving.... I can really relate to the fact that it is sooo much harder now to lose weight....

I too have started a walk run program (C25K) and am almost completed week 3 ..... and I'm a bit amazed at how much I am loving it.... I feel fantastic for hours afterwards and am really looking forward to being able to run 5k.... still can't really believe I will get there but we'll see.... I am following a message board topic here for C25K which is very supportive.

I am 51 and almost post menopausal.... 2 sons, 18 and 20 and want to finally get rid of the post baby weight ....20 years late but better late than never. I have about 20kg to lose (44lb).

I will send you a friend request now.

Lisa:bigsmile:
  • patiencez2
    patiencez2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    57 here, would love new friends for this journey, This is a great place so we can do this YES we can!
  • texasro5e
    texasro5e Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I joined around February as well and have lost 40 lbs so far. I have been told that it is 80% diet and 20% exercise. My experience has taught me that exercise is synergistic to diet. I love strength training. It not only helps me lose weight but is defining and toning and feels great. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and fairly new to MFP (joined in September). So far I've lost 16 pounds and I'm sure it's thanks to the encouragement I've got from MFP friends. Please feel free to add me if you wish.
  • 228lrt
    228lrt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A great site and welcome. Lots of support and excellent for tracking calorie intake. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!

This is a terrific resourse for weight loss and improving your health, no matter what diet plan you choose! Just keep coming back and reading, and learning, and getting motivated, and before you know it, YOU'LL be the one with the motivational message!

I'm 51 & for me, I've found a program that is working - The 17 Day Diet. I love this plan and I plan to use it as my guide for the rest of my life!

Here's another thread of LOSERS that are 50 & older:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/377885-looking-for-50-or-older-friends

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Ice
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    There is a large group of women 50 and over on this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356978-women-ages-50-for-october?page=18#posts-5165762

Drop in, and if you like what you see, jump in with us! Good luck on your journey!
  • Yougonan
    Options
    Wow!!!! This site is great! Lots of new friends to make and stories to share! Let's keep this going and see what we can do here!