Should I eat even though I'm not hungry?

Options
Lately I haven't been that hungry and have been eating below my calorie goal. I've heard that you should eat 6 times a day and not to skip meals but what do you do if you're truly not hungry? Eat something healthy anyway? When I lost my initial 70 pounds I was eating 6 times a day because I was always hungry. I was also doing circuit training more days of the week than not. Now that I've come back to really monitoring my intake because I want to lose another 10, I find that I'm just not hungry. I've been doing yoga every day so I know that doesn't burn as many calories as the workouts I've been doing before so I don't need as many calories but I don't even reach 1200 caloires most days. At this point I am still steadily losing weight but I don't want to plateau or gain weight which is why I'm asking for help.

Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating, but maybe minimally? lately when I'm not hungry I'll eat blueberries, maybe like 1 blueberry every 5 minutes over 2 hours... It's not to replace a meal but i feel like it has my metabolism busy when I'm not hungry.
    That's not based on any facts or anything, just gives me piece of mind than not eating, or eatng a big meal i don't want
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Depends how far under you are, I try to get to 1200 even when I am not hungry, even by having a glass of low fat milk that I otherwise wouldn't have had or a few pieces of dark chocolate. I find fruit helpful to gain calories during the day because of their natural sweetness and water content, however you could try a handful of almonds or a single piece of multigrain toast or a small bowel of your soup of choice if your not hungry at meal times- I personally like tomato or home made minestrone.
  • peter821
    peter821 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight and your stomach shrinks, you will often feel less hungry. As long as your thing a good Multi vitamin and getting your protein requirements, I wouldn't worry. Believe me, you will have your days when the hunger strikes!
  • PrincessMorticia
    PrincessMorticia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's been my problem. I'm not hungry enough to eat all those calories. I'm eating lots of fruits and vegetables that are low-cal, so the numbers just don't stack up as fast. But the "you need at least 1,200 or you'll sabotage your metabolism" is blaring in your head. I think I'm going to try juice, because I'll get the extra calories I need, they'll be healthy calories with good nutrition, and I won't be making myself eat when I'm not hungry (which is what I'm trying to stop doing in the first place).
  • lightinurlife
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I really appreciate it :)
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    If you are not hungry, your body is expressing it does not need food at that time. It's okay to not eat.

If you are hungry, EAT, regardless of a number. Your body is telling you it needs fuel.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You should eat your planned meals even if you don't feel hungry.