Green Smoothies!!

Options
I just bought some stuff for green smoothies..

spinach,
celery,
pears,
blueberries...

I found a recipe that says to just mix it with water. Will it mix up well in the blender? I wonder if I could add some like yogurt, to make it a little more like a smoothie? I don't wanna add any like boxed juice or flavored yogurt really, I'm trying to cut out refined sugars from my diet. BUT at the same time I still want it to taste good..,

Anyone have experience with these? If so, give me some pointers!

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I always freeze my fruits/veggies for a smoothie that way I don't have to add ice, but I normally make them with water and yogurt, which I also freeze in ice cube trays then throw in a freezer ziploc. Makes it quick and easy!
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    THis is the one I posted on my blog the other day. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks and sounds yummy :)

Cranberry-Orange-Banana-Spinach | Green Smoothie
    1 1/2 cups apple cider
    2 handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
    1 orange, peeled (add a few small peelings/zest)
    1/2 to 3/4 cup raw cranberries
    1 banana, peeled

Add all of the ingredients to your blender and blend well.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You could also add 1/2-1 cup of coconut water or almond milk to make it a little more creamier!
  • Stenog4
    Options
    I have made green smoothies with kale, blueberries, banana, peaches, strawberries. Any combination of these fruits work great. I do add some plain Greek yogurt and it makes them really creamy. I only use half the container per smoothie and add some water and ice, too. Yummy!
  • kittycarson
    Options
    Ditto with freezing the fruit. It sounds yummy but may not be really really sweet. Pears and blueberries, in my opinion, aren't naturally THAT sweet in my green smoothies...And I add blueberries often (love them) Sometimes I add green or red grapes to give it an extra kick of sweetness....or sometimes I add a little stevia....also ripe bananas add a creamy texture. Just experiment with any fresh fruit AND bland veggies that you like.
  • stacey_marie_08
    stacey_marie_08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yum, that cranberry orange smoothie sounds delicious!

And I will have to pick up some almond milk, coconut water and/or some greek yogurt. I just put my stuff in the freezer!!

I almost bought some grapes today, too!!! I'll have to pick some up tomorrow. Didn't wanna spend too much money. But I got all fruits and veggies, quite a bit of them and it only came to 20 bucks.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll let you know how my smoothie blends up and tastes tomorrow morning, I'm pretty excited! :)
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I will often do spinach, an apple, lemon and/or lime, banana, and then any kind of berries or whatever other fruit I may have around. Sometimes I put some organic vanilla yogurt in, or almond milk. I used to put a stalk of celery in too, but since I started doing green smoothies again I have decided that I really don't like them with celery anymore.
  • StoryGirl9
    Options
    My favorite is 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt (I like Nancy's), 1/2 cup frozen pineapple, 2 handfuls frozen spinach, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup mixed berries. I also like to add 1/8 cup powdered egg whites due to my high intensity workouts.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try searching The Green Monster Movement. Whole web site dedicated to smoothie recipies!! There is one with cooked pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg... tasted like pie to me =) YUMMY!! And good for you!
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I always add yogurt to mine...when I have yogurt. I'm currently out of yogurt (really should make some more soon). My favourite green smoothie has to be: spinach, banana, milk, yogurt, pineapple...and sometimes a dash of coconut milk. Oh and ground flaxseed.
  • stacey_marie_08
    stacey_marie_08 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I forgot the flax seed! Darn it, I have some around and I was gonna throw some in it.

OMG, that pumpkin smoothie sounds amazing!!! I loove pumpkin.. and fall )

My smoothie turned out pretty good. Blueberries, spinach, and a pear with a dash of vanilla soymilk and water
  • painterdlzll
    painterdlzll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My children love this smoothie. We use frozen pineapple, peaches and mango. Then I add 2 cups spinach,one cap coconut extract and 1/2 vanilla soy milk and one cup water. We call it ninja turtle juice. If the smoothie is too thick add a little more water. I said it the kids will drink it, it must taste good. They ask for it all the time. Smiles
  • painterdlzll
    painterdlzll Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My children love this smoothie. We use frozen pineapple, peaches and mango. Then I add 2 cups spinach,one cap coconut extract and 1/2 vanilla soy milk and one cup water. We call it ninja turtle juice. If the smoothie is too thick add a little more water. I said it the kids will drink it, it must taste good. They ask for it all the time. Smiles
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with some greek yogurt if your calories allow it, but you also might want to try half an avocado - healthy fats, no added sugars (or anything, really) and completely delicious. Such a great addition to a green smoothie!