Running in the morning and losing my motivation!!!

Options
I need some advice and support here. I have been working very hard this year and have developed a decent running routine, which I'm extremely proud of since I've been telling myself all of my life that I'd never be a runner. I was regularly running 2-4 miles each morning...that is until it started getting darker in the mornings. I live in the midst of farmland and my only route options are a long, quiet stretch of road surrounded by fields with no lighting, or a semi-busy highway that at least has a shoulder but no lighting. I have a hard time convincing myself to attempt running either route these days. By the time the sun comes up, I'm hauling the kids to school. I keep thinking that when we set the clocks back next month, I might be able to pick it back up with the extra daylight, but soon the snow will start falling and I'll have an even bigger challenge!

I would appreciate your advice. I've run once in the last 2 weeks and I feel my motivation slipping through my fingers. I can't let it get away!!!!!

Replies

• mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Maybe treat yourself to a new running coat, that's reflective? I normally run after I take the kids to school, so it's daylight by then. Could you try running a different time of day? Don't give up yet, I'm sure you can work through this!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Can you get a treadmill and run indoors?

I know its kind of boring, but I'm not sure there are a lot of better options with the good weather and daylight dwindling.
  • WKenL
    WKenL Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not sure how to help with motivation, but I can offer some safety advice in terms of lighting.

I do my morning walk/run with a bicycle light in my hand and a red bike light clipped to the back of my belt. That makes me feel better enough that I've been able to keep going out in the morning ... although this morning's rain and 37-degree temp kept me inside.

Now, the fact that there was a bear sighted last week in the road where I walk, that's a different story ...
  • skittles12345
    skittles12345 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this is very helpful, but I have to say that I'm impressed by anyone who never thought they'd be a runner who is now truly a runner..and you are a runner!! (I'm not a runner :)). Keep it up!!!

As for your routine...it sure sounds beautiful to be running in farmland in the morning. Can you run after you take the kids to school? If you at least get up and get your running clothes on, once they're dropped off, perhaps you can get a run in? I like to work out in the am as well, so I understand your frustration.

Alternatively....do you have access to a treadmill? Might not be your favorite option since you like to be outside, but with the snow coming, it might be a nice little break!? I'm a treadmill gal myself..but then again, I'm a walker not a runner! :)

Good luck!!!
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean i'm wondering what to do now since it's got darker. I live in London but the freaks come out at night in their cars. i think i'm going to invest in some high vis gear or just run at the weekends. Good luck with your running.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi! The same thing is happening to me right now. I just switched times! I'm not sure if that is an option for you or not. Since I am in school I have a hard time running during the daytime. I actually run at night between 6:00-10:00. It's still dark out, but I've been awake all day. I also think it's peaceful. I bought a bright pink cold gear shirt and I wear leg reflectors so I don't go splat.
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ater the kids go to school, it's a 9-5 job for me. And the budget is tight so equipment, gyms and gear isn't really an option (the local YMCA is $50 a month and I'm seriously thinking about it...at least to get me through the winter).

You guys have some great ideas so far...thanks! Keep 'em coming :)
  • mariec25
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I don't always run in the morning but I do in the evening and I have the same sort of routes with poor lighting. Have you looked for other routes? I use an app called runkeeper and you can search for routes that other people have added and sometimes I give them a go, last year I found one that was better for winter. Reflectors are something that you really need to have and you can get lights that clip to your shoes too, but I know that sometimes I still feel uneasy about running on my own even with this.

With the snow due soon, like others have said the only other option is a treadmill, I hate running on it and I don't want to pay a gym fee so I have stocked up on exercise DVDs, as I want to be able to do something. I am sure there are running and jogging clubs you could join if you started running in the evening. I joined one last year, called JogScotland in the UK, I'm sure there is similar elsewhere and I felt so much better about going out as I was with a team and they have planned the best routes and have the equipment to deal with poor lighting etc. It also makes you more willing to brave the elements as there are others doing it with you, my dad is involved with one who plan routes to work around the snow and they never miss their runs.

I really hope you find a solution, and pass on any tips if you do as I would love to know. Its really impressive you aren't giving up because of the weather!
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do you have a health insurance plan that reimburses for fitness? Ours will reimburse up to $200.00 per family spent on fitness activities like a Y membership. We are actually signing up for a Y membership this weekend to use our reimbursement for the year.

I hope you find a way to keep going! I'm just starting running (week 5 of C25K) and hope that someday I'll get to the point of having that number on my shirt like in your picture.
  • crux
    crux Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    The actual motivation I can't help with, but in terms of feeling comfortable running in the dark you just need to be safe. An LED head torch and a light coloured jacket with reflective parts really helps, clip a red LED flasher on your tail as well if you can. It's not about light for you to see by so much as helping traffic to see/avoid you.

Failing that, the dread mill is not such a bad place in winter if you can entertain yourself with either media or imagination.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I would suggest some reflective tape or clothing w/reflective strips and an LED headlamp!
    Keep up the great work!!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Sounds like the YMCA (or some other nearby fitness center) might be a great option to get you though to Spring. Even with the right gear, the snow/ice and cold can be a huge issue. I'm in Michigan and also live "among the cornfields', and there's nothing worse than dirt roads with mud and ice (we've got a coyote population explosion too, that freaks me out, even though they totally avoid humans).

Keep up all the great work and don't let the change of season undo all you've accomplished!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    Same here! It is DARK and COLD during my usual run time! Add in some morning commuters who haven't had nearly enough coffee and it's a recipe for disaster. I made myself hit the treadmill at the gym last night and I loathe treadmills. And my poor dog was so, so sad that I left without her. I didn't think the gym would appreciate me putting her on the treadmill next to mine though :)

I don't really have any suggestions, maybe check craigslist for a used treadmill to help get you through the winter months? I am really hoping that the time change will help. I'll make you a deal, I will get 3 miles in tomorrow morning if you do!
  • jtfish112
    jtfish112 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! You've had some great things to say and I appreciate it all!

I've got to comb through the budget and see if I can find room for the Y. In the meantime, I think I'm just going to have to settle for running on the weekends (when it's not snowing) and sticking to the exercise DVD's during the week. Between Leslie Sansone, Jillian Michaels and Seane Corn, I should get a nice mix of exercise. The Y has a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning that I'm going to sign up for. Maybe Santa will bring me a treadmill for Christmas :).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Same here! It is DARK and COLD during my usual run time! Add in some morning commuters who haven't had nearly enough coffee and it's a recipe for disaster. I made myself hit the treadmill at the gym last night and I loathe treadmills. And my poor dog was so, so sad that I left without her. I didn't think the gym would appreciate me putting her on the treadmill next to mine though :)

Jessica....I used to have a dog too and was off work for a most of '09. Took her running/walking most days, but when it would rain, I'd go to the gym. She would watch me put my shoes and iPod on and start to whine and edge to the door...poor girl! Made me feel so bad!