Explain to me again the idea of losing Inches and not Weight

Options
Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening,

So seriously, explain to me again, how it is possible not to lose weight, but yet lose inches. I'm trying to make sense of all of this. And yes a few trainers have explained the concept to me, but i need to hear more as to how that is possible. Please and thank you.
~Chika

P.S. I do cardio 4x/week and weight train 3-4x/week. I love weight training.

Replies

• jenbo100
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you lose 1lb fat and gain 1lb muscle, you'll lose inches but the scales wont look any different. For example, if you have a 1lb feathers (thats the fat) you'll need a huge amount more than a lb of coal (thats the muscle). Does that make sense?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the scientific aspect, but can give you my experience.

I started working with weights, and cardio was already 4x 45 min a week. I had lost about 15 pounds at that point and was quiet upset no 'weight' had left my body for some time. I got out the tape measure and lo and behold I had lost 1 inch from belly and TWO from hips.

I put on my fav jeans and they were loose!! WOW!

The whole getting more muscle stuff somewhat applies, but not much because it takes a lot to get those big muscles ppl have. Or everyone would be competing!! LOL

But I think the body loses water retention from good food and lots of water, the fat is going away, and yes some muscle is tightening up.

Keep up the good work!!
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    Hey There! Gotta answer quickly because I have to head out to work. But to be brief, muscle weighs more then fat. So what, right? You hear this all the time but what does it really mean? This can get confusing but what it simply means is that a pound of fat is much bulkier that a pound of muscle. If you were to be able to just randomly grab each and put a tape measure around them, there would be more inches of fat relative to the same weight of muscle. So, as you burn fat and build muscle, you gain something that is "leaner" (and you become leaner - right?) and you are losing something (fat) that is much bulkier. Hence, take a half a pound of fat off your thigh and replace it with a half pound of muscle - no weight loss. But, you are more lean and defined and you have lost inches. Does this help? (Also, do a google search for images of comparison of 1 or 5 pounds of fat to muscle. A picture says a thousand words)
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Because muscle takes up less room than fat. So if you are weight training you are firming up your body. You may not lose weight right away because the muscle retains water but eventually the scale will move. At least this is how I understand it. I am not an expert and this may not be 100% correct but it is close enough! : )
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Imagine a bag of bricks that weighs ten pounds. Then take the bricks out and fill it with feathers until it weighs ten pounds. The weight is the same but the composition is different. (For an even better mental image, put a belt around the bag with the bricks and then try it on the bag of feathers.)
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options
    ..Muscle does not weight more than fat!

1lb of Muscle and 1lb of fat both weigh...you got it 1lb!

volume wise, 1lb of fat takes up more space than 1lb of muscle.

Just to clarify :flowerforyou:
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, so if you lose 1lb fat and gain 1lb muscle, you'll lose inches but the scales wont look any different. For example, if you have a 1lb feathers (thats the fat) you'll need a huge amount more than a lb of coal (thats the muscle). Does that make sense?

What you are trying to compare is volume and density. Not weight. 1lbs of fat and 1lbs of muscle weighs exactly the same!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    For example, if you have a 1lb feathers (thats the fat) you'll need a huge amount more than a lb of coal (thats the muscle). Does that make sense?
    Perfect example; can't say it any better than this!
  • Chika_2015
    Chika_2015 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yes, it makes sense now, i just wanted my brian to understand it., and stop worring about that supid number on the scale. Thanks eveyone, make it a great day =)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Im sorry but all doctors will tell you, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb fat is 1lb muscle - the difference is how much space it takes.

This video is what some of the doctors I was employed under, was sharing with patients...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHDtDnweXME

This is the basic 101 of 1/lb muscle to 1/lb fat...
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat. A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. So if you gain a pound of muscle at the same time you lose a pound of fat, you will take up less space (lose inches).
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

Density wise, 1lb of fat takes up more space than 1lb of muscle.

That's not entirely correct. Yes the density is greater on muscle. Hence, it takes an increase in volume of fat, relative to muscle, to make up the same mass. When people say that fat weighs more than muscle, they are referring to the volume of the fat compared to an equal volume of muscle and so the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is correct". I don;t believe that anyone thinks a pound of something weighs more than a pound of something else. That's just ridiculous.
  • allie1904
    allie1904 Posts: 248
    Options

That's not entirely correct. Yes the density is greater on muscle. Hence, it takes an increase in volume of fat, relative to muscle, to make up the same mass. When people say that fat weighs more than muscle, they are referring to the volume of the fat compared to an equal volume of muscle and so the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" is correct". I don;t believe that anyone thinks a pound of something weighs more than a pound of something else. That's just ridiculous.

Ever asked someone 'what weighs more, a tonne of feathers or a tonne of bricks?' and they say ' duh! a tonne of feathers'. Yes people can be that dull :laugh:
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

Im sorry but all doctors will tell you, muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1lb fat is 1lb muscle - the difference is how much space it takes.

This video is what some of the doctors I was employed under, was sharing with patients...

Again..same thing as I wrote before. Muscle does weigh more than fat. It is inferred that we are speaking of the same relative volume. Doctors tell us what you have posted because they assume people are dopes sometimes. This is very simple and basic science. A 5cm cube of fat will always weigh less than a 5cm cube of muscle. If you want to make the weight equal, instead of the volume, you have to increase the volume of fat or decrease the volume of muscle.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options

True! But those people are never gonna get int anyway! :noway:

Ever asked someone 'what weighs more, a tonne of feathers or a tonne of bricks?' and they say ' duh! a tonne of feathers'. Yes people can be that dull :laugh:

True! But those people are never gonna get int anyway! :noway:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

Again..same thing as I wrote before. Muscle does weigh more than fat. It is inferred that we are speaking of the same relative volume. Doctors tell us what you have posted because they assume people are dopes sometimes. This is very simple and basic science. A 5cm cube of fat will always weigh less than a 5cm cube of muscle. If you want to make the weight equal, instead of the volume, you have to increase the volume of fat or decrease the volume of muscle.

My post was delayed getting on this thread due to a very much needed cup of coffee.. my frozen fingers do apologize for the slow response - they were thawing! LOL!