Life begins at 40 . .

Options
39 year old male finally decided that its time to make changes. Recently separated (12 months) father of 2, now adjusting to single life. My weight over the last 12 years had steadily risen, mainly through poor diet and lack of exercise, you know the comfortable life, coupled with a job behind a laptop and many miles behind the wheel. A fuel stop on the motorway would also be an unnecessary snack stop . . damn those Ginsters pasties ! In my early twenties I'd cycle and play cricket up to 3 times a week . . oh how times had changed.

So, on Monday 11th November during my lunch break, I surfed the market place from my Android phone for a weight loss tracker . . hello MFP. Within minutes I'd installed the app, created a user ID and set myself a target. Tracking the calories is so easy now.

I've purposely given myself 2 weeks to see how I took to this before announcing my arrival.

Well here I am !

Starting at 107.3 kg (about 16 stone 12lb), I've set myself a target of 90 kg (14st 2 lbs) initially, at a rate of 1lb per week, based on a reduced intake of 1990 calories per day with 5 x 30 mins exercise per week . . so that exercise bike is no longer somewhere to hang clothes !

I'm so pleased to report that I've weighed in at 103.8 kg this morning, thats about 3.5 kg loss already in 2.5 weeks.

So whats different ? I've simply cut out all the junk food, takeaways, ready meals, biscuits, cheese, and snacks on the road. I now eat more fruit and veg and count my calories, plus I've added the exercise.

So here's to the next 13.kg, to reach my 90 kg target, then if all is well I will set another target.

. . and as for life begins at 40, well next June is when I hit the milestone in years, so why not reach it in healthier position, and I aim to be playing cricket again by then.

Replies

• annastuff
    Options
    good for you and well done!
  • ShmiSkywalker
    ShmiSkywalker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I totally agree, life begins at 40.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start, with realistic goals.
    You're right, it's the fast food and carry out that really adds up fast.
    Good luck to you.
  • mjslazak
    mjslazak Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Great start indeed!

And here here on the "life begins at 40." I'm there this December!
  • Gail3260
    Gail3260 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    And I can vouch for the fact that life is still going strong beyond 50!!
  • walkinmydoxies
    Options
    Great start!!! My sis and I say 50 is the new 30 :drinker: :happy: :drinker: :happy:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Great job! I am going to be 40 in April and I dont like it one bit. Scares the s*** out of me, actually!
  • Gay11nell
    Gay11nell Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success and welcome to MFP! I'm with ya on this journey. My road to 40 is in about 3 weeks! So I'm stepping up my game with the JM's 30 day shred. My CW:196 - GW 190 for bday!
  • lovinlife71
    Options
    40 is GOOD!!!!!!
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hey,
    welcome to MFP :-)

We're quite similar on our way here :-)
    I've started 3 weeks before my 40th birthday, at a weight of 110,.. kg. I too started VERY slowly with exercise, mainly counting calories the first few months.. until I got a wonderful Christmas gift! A 3 month membership at a gym, with 3 x 30 min personal trainer to begin with. So I hit the gym in January, got those personal training sessions in, and I was so pleased about the trainer and what he said and made me do that I continued those sessions with him (until now!).
    Today I can proudly say: I am down to 90 kgs (within 14 months), I lost 3 to 4 clothing sizes, people keep telling me I look a lot younger now... and I'm not done yet. I want to be under 70.... 69.9 would be nice for a start ;-)
    I work out 2 to 5 times a week, usually at least 30 minutes, but mostly an hour or more. I still love the personal training sessions and also the sessions I work on my own. There's one downside to this, or maybe 2: since I started working out, my weight loss has not been as fluid anymore as before, but I lost quite some volume (i.e. cms or inches), which I guess I wouldn't have lost without training. And yes, working out that much leaves you less time for other things like family or friends or computer games or whatever you like to do.

Well, I wish you loads of courage, motivation and strength to get to your goal(s). It's doable! Even without exercise, but it's easier with it ;-)
    May your 40th be a dream birthday ;-)

MM
  • MarissaR65
    MarissaR65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hooray! Start whenever you can, I say. It is said you can't get back lost time, but since I decided to lose weight it seems I have turned back the clock.
    Congrats to you and welcome!
  • PeeTeePee
    PeeTeePee Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step. You'll find a lot of friends ready and willing to help, support and motivate you here. I think the best step we can take is eating more healthily, like you I cut out the pies, crisps, sweets and biscuits (although, calorie allowance permitting, I have the occassional Rich Tea or Digestive!). I've lost 16 pounds in 8 weeks and really pleased I joined MFP. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you wish (just click on my photo and then select ADD AS FRIEND).
  • tincatinca
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words folks
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude. The great thing is, the more you do this, the better you feel, so you keep doing it. 40 is the new 20 you know!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Love this! I started running at age 38 and now just 6 months from turning 40 and I'm 4 pounds from my goal weight!!! The best part is, I'm in better shape and smaller than I was in high school (proven by trying on the jeans I wore back then that are now too big!) and I feel better than ever!!!!

40 doesn't scare me like it did... I believe my life will REALLY begin then... well, it really already just began at 39! 40's going to be awesome!!!
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Yes, it does begin at 40.

I started running at 40 and have had similar situations in my life. I can honestly say that the past year and a half have been my best so far. I'm focusing on me for a change, and loving it!!

Keep up the great work!!