A "healthier" version of mac and cheese

Options
kktiny12
kktiny12 Posts: 15 Member
I know I'm not the only one who has a child who constantly answers when asked "what do you want for dinner?" with "MAC AND CHEESE!!!!!" I also have a weakness for it and end up eating a little myself but stay away because of the horrible amount of calories and fat. So I found a solution....instead of using butter and milk (which can range between 428-444 calories per a box prepared) substitute in 1 tbsp olive oil. If that is still too thick, just add a splash of water. This will save you 308-324 calories for a while box prepared. My 5 year old stepson loves it and doesn't even know the difference. Now you can throw a little tuna in with some crushed red pepper and you have a little adult version of mac and cheese.

Replies

• acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine raves about the hungry girl mac and cheese

You use the frozen broccoli with cheese sauce in it - or cauliflower in cheese sauce depending on your taste - then you add whole wheat noodles and three Laughing Cow regular cheese wedges.

She says it's good and only 96 calories a serving.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I make a version that my kids love that uses mashed squash mixed in with cheese. It adds a veggie and it still tastes really good! It's a Pampered Chef recipe from one of the books.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Bump-- I love mac and cheese, and haven't had it in forever!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • newdaynewme
    newdaynewme Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great ideas
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has a great homemade mac N cheese

I also sometimes cook whole grain noodles, then melt in a few wedges of laughing cow cheese. does the trick for me!
  • MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for sharing! I love mac and cheese!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    This is my version of mac & cheese, its soo yummy and creamy!

http://www.lightdelish.com/2011/10/creamy-easy-mac-cheese.html
  • Jenn1254
    Jenn1254 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was wanting mac and cheese bad one day so I just lowered the quantity of milk and butter I added. I put in 1 tablespoon of light butter and 1/4 cup skim milk. I divided it into five servings which came out to about 175 calories each. I figured that was pretty good considering what it could have been and it turned out well.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    My mac & cheese is truly decadent with greyere, asiago, fontania, parmesean, and cheddar cheeses plus bacon. I add diced fresh tomatoes and onion for veggies. I don't make it very often but hubby is coming home from Afghanistan very soon and that's on his wish list. I'll have some but I'll also have a large salad with a light dressing. I'd rather have the really good stuff in a small amount than adjust the recipe just so I can eat more.

Mind you, I do make a lot of substitutions. There are just some things where it isn't worth it. One of my favorite substitutions is to change oil for applesauce in any baked product. I made cornbread yesterday and switched the oil for applesauce. It was wonderful, healthier, and moister. Just switch the oil for an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce.
  • Tracydannielle
    Options
    Can you be a little more specific...do you still put the milk in?

I use butter flavored pam and half the amount of skim milk. It is delicious. Butter flavored Pam is really good. I spray it on everything. Popcorn, mixed veggies, even grilled cheese!!
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
    I love tuna in my mac and cheese! I've been eating it that way for about 20 years! :happy:
  • kktiny12
    kktiny12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No milk. Just Kraft mac and cheese and a tbsp of olive oil. :)