no progress

Options
Help! I am a 47 yr old woman who could stand to lose 75 lbs. I recently made a decision to make a life change - going from a true couch potato with a sedentary job, eating pretty much what I wanted (but eating fairly healthy) to someone who has spent the last 2 months logging my food intake into this website, sticking to religiously watching my calories (1380/day net) with lower fat, higher fiber foods and exercising at least 6 days a week (eliptical trainer -burning 350-500 calories/day). Since starting all of this I have not lost 1 pound?? It is mind boggling....and very frustrating. Yes, I force myself to drink 7-8 glasses of water every day, yes I understand that all of this is for the greater good and I have been able to increase my efforts on the elliptical trainer (incline/resistance), but it sure would be nice to see the scale move to the left just a bit. I have been around this block before and if I haven't lost any weight I, at least, expected my clothes to start fitting differently....nope. I am trying to be patient and keep telling myself to just keep doing what I am doing, but what am I doing wrong??

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories, have you tried mixing up your workout routine?

I would also open up your diary so people can look and see if they can give you any advice to what you are eating.
  • Stephie2301
    Stephie2301 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would make a doctor's appointment and get checked your thyroid checked.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I am a little older than you and have been around that block also. I did have my self checked out at the doc's and found my thyroid was a little low and started some meds. It may have given me a little bump, but not much. what I have discovered is if I am eating all of my exercise calories I do not lose. After a few months I am just starting to show a slow loss of about .5 to 1 lb a week.

Hang in there - you are doing the right thing, but I would get myself to the doctors just for a physical. Maybe even bring in your food log to him.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Do you eat back your exercise cals? What type of exercise have you been doing, just elliptical? Try mix it up a bit, think about zig-zagging calories and doing a mixture of strength and cardio for a while and see if it makes a difference.
    You should consider opening your diary so we can make a more personal assessment!
    I know it's frustrating not to see a change but keep it up girl, it's so important for health, not just looks. It is disheartening but keep your health in mind and be proud of your achievements so far, you're doing great!
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Agree with opening your diary up....sometimes we just don't see it, and others can help us find the issue (if there is one). I also think that a Drs. visit might be in order, just to check things out. Look at your macro nutritients....how's your sodium levels? Drinking water ( a lot of water :-) will definitely help as well! Good luck to you!
  • dg58570
    Options
    my thyroid has been checked and reported it is ok....thanks!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    How discouraging. I am very happy for you that you are sticking with it even after these 2 months of no progress. You must be one VERY determined soul!

It just seems impossible that you are doing all the things you are doing and you aren't losing any weight.

How about your measurements? Are you losing inches? Seeing a difference in your body? Are your clothes fitting differently? Maybe set up some Non Scale Victory goals to keep you motivated. If you have a lot of stress that could slow your progress too.

I am 5' tall and I have a very hard time losing weight. I have to go a bit lower in calories than what all the info says, not crazy low but I definitely get better results if I go 100 or so less than recommended on most days and then 100 or so higher one day a week. I have recently read some things about zig-zag calorie intake and I think I'm going to try it for 2 weeks to see if it helps or does not help.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Also if you do the same excercise all the time your body may be adapting. Mix it up, do all kinds of different things. If you can find any way to go Swimming, even just every once in a while I think that would be very helpful. It's easy on the joints, a great workout and very relaxing.

Maybe even get a nice long massage if you can, decompress, reward yourself for all the hard work you've put in so far. It might even wriggle some of that stubborn weight loose. :) j/k but you never know!
  • dg58570
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for their posts. I really appreciate it. I am going to mix up my exercise and continue to work on the types of calories i take in and when. I will keep you posted.