Help! Camping this weekend

Options
Im needing help from my MFP friends. We're camping all weekend with lots of friends and for those of you that dont camp, it's loads of eating and lots and lots of drinking. I will not have internet access so Im asking ahead of time for easy food ideas, both snacks and super easy meals. Ive been doing so well and feel doomed for the weekend. Ideas?

Replies

• glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Liquid diet. BEER
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    I miss camping! Its a little to brisk now in Canada, so take advantage of your nice weather! Anyways, when I go camping I like making foil packets with lots of veggies, some lean meat (chicken sausage maybe?) and potatoes or yams. Cook them on the fire. There are tons of ways you can make these lean and everyone loves them.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Im needing help from my MFP friends. We're camping all weekend with lots of friends and for those of you that dont camp, it's loads of eating and lots and lots of drinking. I will not have internet access so Im asking ahead of time for easy food ideas, both snacks and super easy meals. Ive been doing so well and feel doomed for the weekend. Ideas?

It doesn't have to be loads of eating and lots of drinking. It's not a requirement.

That said, almonds, nuts, fruit, raw veggies, wheat thins, trail mix (you make it), grapes.

eggs & chicken for breakfast
    turkey burgers
    a sirloin steak

etc
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I did lots of veggies, and drank flavored vodka with water.
  • efconley26
    Options
    I would bring a cooler stocked with fruit, easy stuff that you can pull out and eat. Grapes, bananas, apple slices, and vegetables. Cut everything up before you go, so it's easily accessible. I'd say if you do that for the majority of the day, you don't have to count yourself out of dinners. I'd try to avoid beer and stick with liquor - bacardi and diet? Good luck!!!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    When I think of camping, I think of hiking, kayaking, swimming... maybe you should work some of that into the day.
  • jennyod2
    jennyod2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can have all the good stuff like hamburgers, hotdog, and chicken just add up your calories beforehand so you know what your allowed to stick to. If you go over your calories then just make some time to go for a hike or walk to walk off some of it. Most importantly HAVE FUN!
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hit the trails like there's no tomorrow and turn in early.
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Camping, thats a tough one...and sometimes you just need to to enjoy it. Keep in mind, most tend to be more active when they camp... Moving gear around, walking the dog, etc so that will help. Other than that, leaner meats, more greens,liquor or wine instead of beer lol. If your really worried about it you can do a meal replacement shake, just make sure its not to sugary
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Load up on veggies and fruits! It's easy to snack on...also some FF popcorn.
    As far as drinks go I'm a vodka girl and I drink it with Diet Coke but I've also used crystal light.

Have fun I'm so sad we had to winterize our camper already I love camping.
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I (happily) have gone camping for the last two weekends straight. It is hard!! BUT, if you plan ahead, it can still be healthful.

-In portioned ziplock baggies, slice up zucchinis, onions, pineapple, eggplant, and drizzle with a tad of oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Then, throw them on the grill and eat them first so that you limit the less healthful hot dogs and such.

-Bring along fruit, presliced, for snacking, instead of salsa, guac, and chips.

Basically, make sure to have stuff ready ahead of time so that in the less-convenient/possibly alcohol-influenced camping scene, you can make good choices.

Have fun!!!!!

Edit: looks like everyone beat me to reply! Oh well.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from burgers and hot dogs but I'd eat a lot of chicken. Bring a cooler with yogurts and cheese sticks etc the protein will keep you full. Also, I'd bring bags of healthy chips too. Have fun its just one weekend. :happy:
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    These are all great! Thanks! Im going shopping today just for myself to try to give myself a fighting chance. Our camper is stocked w/ Doritos, hostess, bisq and gravy, pork burgers, etc. that the rest of the fam. has purchased for our typical camping outtings. Plus there is trick or treat this time so the crap tons of candy is an added bonus!Lol Ah well, Im going to plan ahead and do my best. As long as I dont gain ill consider it a victory. Did I mention that we make wine and my hub has set back spiced pear and apple wines for this trip?.... wish me luck and thanks again! :tongue:
  • rebeccaME207
    rebeccaME207 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    warning prob shouldnt take advice from me!!

-pre made salad
    -chichen fingers nonbreaded
    -popcorn
    -turkey hot dogs
    - turkey burgers
    -low cal adult bev.
    -water
    -fat or sugar free choc pudding
    -dark choc cocoa
    -apple , orange

HAVE FUN EITHER WAY LOV!!