Help for a beginner...seriously a beginner

Options
Ok....I need some help....I can't go from couch to marathon without some in between help. Anyone that is just getting up and starting to walk...I need some warm up exercises and I need to know how to stretch without pulling, tearing or otherwise injuring something in this soon to be 50 year old body. I was too ambitious a couple of years ago, ordered a yoga (yoga for dummies type) video and managed to put myself out of commission for a week or so. Seems the muscles that had become quite comfortable sitting on the couch had a problem with me trying to make them do things they were not used to. :sick: So, if anyone can give me some BABY STEP instructions I (and my various muscles and joints) would be very grateful!

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner also. I have children and work a strenuous job so I can't be out of commission. I found that doing about 3-5 min activity several times a day is better for me. Good Luck :-)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Never, ever, ever try to do yoga on your own if you haven't first taken several classes with a qualified instructor. That's incredibly dangerous! If you don't injure yourself, there's still a very good chance you're doing the poses wrong because it's very difficult to feel if you're doing them right. You need guidance.

You should stretch AFTER your workout, not before. There are many ways to stretch. Yoga's very good, but again, please take some classes.

To stretch the calves, use a step or curb and body weight by hanging your heel off the edge. Straddles are good, but don't push farther than your body wants to go. I don't even know how to explain most stretches. lol Maybe look some up on YouTube?
  • melbasc
    melbasc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I really think (or would like to think) that I knew better than to try Yoga with nothing by a DVD as an instructor. I obviously thought I was smart enough to know what I was doing and boy was I WRONG. I agree with your advice...it is DANGEROUS to try without proper instruction. I live in a very small town with no options for Yoga classes. Youtube is a great idea that I had not thought of!
    Thanks again!
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    here's a pretty good guide of some basic stretches. if something looks like it's too much for your body, wait until you've upped your flexibility to try it. also, you should never stretch while you're 'cold'. stretching is best after a walk or workout so your muscles are warmed up for it. if you aren't doing a workout but still want to stretch, make sure you put in at least 5 or 7 minutes of some kind of movement to warm up your body - jogging in place, pacing around the house, big arm swings, something along those lines. your body is more at risk for injury if your muscles aren't warmed up for a stretch at all. good luck!

http://www.bcendurancetrainings.com/articles/pdfs/beginnerstretching.pdf
  • catlady100
    Options
    How about the Lesley Sansone walking dvds? available at Walmart
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How about the Lesley Sansone walking dvds? available at Walmart

or just get out and walk... walking is very good to do and helps to clear your head, sort stuff out in your mind, organize your goals, have internal motivational conversations with yourself... (unless you are really far out in the country and can talk aloud to yourself without all the neighbors looking at you like :huh: )
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I did yoga to videos for several months before trying a class. The instructor raved about how great my form was...

I suggest doing Gaiam yoga at home. They are great at giving thorough instruction.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I do a SLOWWWWW yoga sun salutation every morning while I'm waiting for my coffee brew. You can check it out on youtube to see what the sequence looks like

The cycle takes me about 7 minutes (holding each pose for a 6 count breath) , and If find it to be PERFECT for wakey-uppey time-- easy on the joints, not to strenuous, warming up muscles in a sequence.

I use the same sequence before I exercise because it includes great calf and hamstring stretches--which is where I'm most likely to get my little 50-year old aches and pains. For that time, I breathe in or out on every pose, but will repeat the sequence 3 times, so it's a bit more active.

But I agree-- DON'T try yoga on your own--even with a DVDor internet instructional video unless you've had a class or two with a real live instructor because of the risk of serious injury! For example, I do a modified lunge to protect a bad knee.
  • catlady100
    Options
    Yes you're right...she could just open the door and do her walking outside ..LOL. Sometimes I forget that not everyone is like me ( (prefer indoor exercise- treadmill, dvds etc)
  • melbasc
    Options
    Thanks everyone....lol....I feel so stupid...you know fitness is a go-zillion dollar industry and everything I read seems to contradict the last thing I read....warm up and stretch BEFORE you walk...warm up and stretch AFTER you walk...bottom line is I need to stop nit picking and just DO IT. :bigsmile:
  • LBlake12
    Options
    The stretch after your workout is definitely the most important, but many believe it's also important to stretch near the beginning, but AFTER your muscles are warm. Your muscles MUST be warm first, or they will get tiny little tears throughout. Most people walk with some arm movements or something else rather gentle for 5-10 minutes before stretching, to warm up.
    Also, stretches should feel tight, but should not hurt. They should also be slow and smooth, and each stretch should last at least 60 seconds. (yeah, I'm not kidding - 60 seconds.)

Here are a few stretches...

Calf: If you don't have a curb or step handy, stand facing a wall, put your hands on the wall in front of your shoulders, bend one knee slightly, put your other foot back so that your heel doesn't touch, and then push your heel towards the floor. If it touches the floor before you feel a stretch, straighten your standing knee a little more and/or put your back foot back a little further. Slowly push to the stretching point, then hold for 60 seconds. Then do the other side.

Hamstring (back thigh): Toe touches are pretty good, either standing or sitting. Slowly bend at the waist and reach for your toes with your legs straight, but knees not locked. Keep your legs straight. This may also get a little calf. Don't be worried that you may not be able to reach your toes (or even come close at first). Once you feel a good stretch, hold (but keep reaching - if the stretch takes you further, that's ok - just don't go to the pain) for 60 seconds. If you're standing, be sure to be slow and controlled in both directions, as you're working more with your back than if you're sitting, too.

Quadricep (front thigh): Stand near a wall or something to hold for balance. (I usually do these after calfs, because I'm already standing at the wall). Put your left hand on the wall. Keep good, tall posture. Lift your right foot behind you towards your butt. Grab your right foot with your right hand and push it towards your right buttock until you feel a good stretch. Hold 60 seconds. Do the other side. Again, you may be able to push that stretch a little further while you're holding it. Just be sure to stop short of pain.

There are lots more leg ones, but those are three big ones. You'll probably need a more aggressive quad one soonest.

If I don't feel like my upper body is warm enough after warmup, I only do these stretches at the end of a workout.

Neck: head rolls - this is the only one where I never really applied the 60 second rule. Basically, you just roll your head around kinda like dead weight on your neck, from left, to front, to right, to back, and then the other direction. Just do it really slowly.

Triceps and shoulders: Take one hand and reach over your head and touch between your shoulder blades. Take your other hand, and push the elbow of the first arm back so that hand slides further down your spine, until you have a good stretch. Hold 60 seconds. Do the other side. On this, I find I use my head for leverage, but you don't want to strain your neck. Try to keep good, tall posture throughout.

Triceps & shoulders, more: reach one arm straight across your chest. Put the back of the opposite wrist in front of the straight arm's elbow, and push the straight arm more into your chest until you have a good stretch. Hold 60 seconds. Do the other side.

One more arms & shoulders. Join hands behind you with arms relatively straight, squeeze shoulder-blades together, and reach joined hands backwards until you feel a good stretch. Keep good, tall body posture. Hold 60 seconds.

Side bends.... probably really obvious, but complicated to describe, and I don't want to mess it up.

Oh, and drink lots of water, too. Helps flush the lactic acid out of your muscles that builds up during your workout, among so many other things.

Hope that helps!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Thanks! I really think (or would like to think) that I knew better than to try Yoga with nothing by a DVD as an instructor. I obviously thought I was smart enough to know what I was doing and boy was I WRONG. I agree with your advice...it is DANGEROUS to try without proper instruction. I live in a very small town with no options for Yoga classes. Youtube is a great idea that I had not thought of!
    Thanks again!

A lot of people do that, so don't feel stupid about it. :-) That's too bad you don't have an option for classes. It really is an awesome exercise to complement your other workouts. Once I can afford it, I'm going to get certified to teach, but it may be a while.

I think a lot of people see yoga as easy and simple because it looks like it is, and after all, it's "just stretching." Those are people who never did it. lol

Anyway, good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.
  • melbasc
    Options
    Just copied the stretches to save. I wish there was a section here for "notes". Or is there and I just have not found it yet?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just copied the stretches to save. I wish there was a section here for "notes". Or is there and I just have not found it yet?

I think there's a notes/journal section in the diary, but I'm not sure.
  • moonblu
    moonblu Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have started off with walking ( I can only imagine being able to run =) and before & at present I take a Pilates class 1 -2 times a week. I believe Pilates has helped me with strengthening my core muscles. Also I believe the more daysin succession one does some type of exercise then it will become a routine, so that it is what I am hopeful for also.