C25K Question...

Options
I wanted to start the C25K next week, but I'm a little concerned.

I weigh over 300 lbs right now and I don't want to do any damage to my knees by running too soon.

I have been walking consistantly for the past 4 months and I walk for an hour or more usually.

Do you think it would be okay for me to do the C25K program or should I wait until I'm under 300 lbs? Thanks for your advice.

Replies

• Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    i should think it is fine if you are used to walking, just do light running though :) take it at your own pace at what your comfortable with xxxx
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I think you would be able to do it. The first 2 weeks are pretty easy, week 1 you only run for 1 min at a time (if I remember correctly) and week 2 you only run for 1.5 min at a time. I don't do a full out run, I usually jog at around 5-5.5 mph.
    Just try it out a couple of times, if your knees feel like they're hurting then lay off for a bit. Make sure you have some good running shoes, too. Hope this helps!
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What's the harm in trying? If it's too much you can always repeat weeks until you're ready to move forward. I think you should go for it! Good luck!
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have been walking on a treadmill for awhile on and off and I know when I started the c25k this week I could really feel it on my knees. There is no harm in trying it out the first week and then if you decide it's too hard on your knees you can go back to walking unti you rmore comfortable. Good luck! If you do decide to try it add me as a friend I am on my first week and we could support each other through it! :smile:
  • jennysmission
    jennysmission Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think you should be okay since you've already been walking so much, but you might want to do it on a track or on a treadmill to start off so the impact would be softer on your knees! Just a idea though.

I'm on week 3 of c25k!
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do you have history of hurting your knees? For me, it was always my shins that suffered. I ended up getting Superfeet insoles which completely got rid of my shin splints. They absorb shock, so they would potentially help with knees too. Make sure you have good running shoes right off the bat. That will go a long way to keep you from hurting. Good luck, C25K is a great program. (I was 224 when I started, just for reference sake).

PP have a good point re: treadmill. I think I did my first 3 weeks on a treadmill before switching to outdoor running.
  • terihaddad
    terihaddad Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've started C25K, but I'm doing it at my own pace. I have bad knees, and am approx 230lbs, so I also didn't want to hurt myself. So I started walking 2 mins, running 30 secs, etc for only 15 mins. Some days I'm at walk for 1 min, run for 1 min, but other days I have to take it really slow.

I figure, better to do it my own way then not at all!
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The best source of advice on this might be your physician. I am down 94# from my original highest, but have residual joint problems from the higher weight, plus I'm 70. I injure my knees and ankles easily so don't try anything more than a brisk walk. If you are young and healthy overall, you might mostly walk with an occasional short stretch of running just to see how your body handles the added stress. Good luck!
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im over 300 lbs as well and there is nothing wrong with doing the c25k program. heck i'll do it with you.

just remember that the program is a guideline, if you are really sore or feel something is not right, take an extra day off or turn that run you were supposed to do into a walk. your body will tell you if its too much, just know not to push to hard to fast.

really if you run 5 k in 20 mins or 2 hours, you still ran 5 k so dont worry about speed or if you have to walk more than they recomend, we'll get there at some point!

good luck and keep us posted,
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I've decided I'm going to start it on Saturday at the track I walk at on weekends.

Feel free to add me if you want.

Thanks again!

Monica
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I've decided I'm going to start it on Saturday at the track I walk at on weekends.

Feel free to add me if you want.

Thanks again!

Monica

Good for you!! Remember - it's not a sprint. Take your time and repeat individual workouts or even entire weeks if you need to.

I'm at the beginning of week 5 and see some repeats in the very near future.
  • andreaashell
    andreaashell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, and I'm excited for you to start it! I started it last spring, got to about week 4, got stuck and stopped. I started again 5 weeks ago, and I am still going strong. The difference for me is that #1, I've lost 20 lbs since then and I have been working out consistently (which you have already been working out consistently) #2 - and this is the big one for me - I have 2 friends that come with me. We are on our own fitness levels, but we go together to the track. That really has made all the difference... there is no 'I don't feel like going tonight' because I know that I am going to let my friends down and/or have to make up a workout with out them sometime during the week.
    One more thing on the knees - do go easy on them, but don't quit the first time they start to hurt. Make sure you warm up, stretch, run, and then stretch again. I have noticed that my knees will hurt a little here and there, but if I keep going then they don't hurt the next week.
    Oh- one more thing.... I would definitely urge you to go for time and NOT distance. Just focus on being able to run that full 1 minute or 3 minutes- and don't worry about getting up to 1/4 mile in 3 minutes or whatever... Just work on endurance for now. The distance can come later.
    Best of luck!!! You've SO got this!
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I started at 287 and I'm not on week 6 and 269. You can repeat weeks if you aren't comfortable moving to the next level. I will however say that you'll be surprised how much you can accomplish when you push yourself :) There were many times I wanted to give up, but I kept saying to myself that if the biggest losers can do it, so can I.
  • mouser228
    Options
    Great program..when I started it I thought I would die...ran my 5k back in June..took me 54 minutes to finish...but I did it and that is all that mettered to me...I still run 45-60 min. at least 4 days a week..not concerned with my speed..as long as I can get my run in...GOOD LUCK...MAKE IT HAPPEN:smile:
  • LosingTheWeight2014
    Options
    You all are great! Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. I'm definitely looking forward to starting it on Saturday!

Thanks again everyone! =)
  • mashanda
    mashanda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am starting too! I am just at 300 pounds. We can do this....I have been doing a practice this week and found I just need to do a slight jog instead of a fast pace to be able to endure all the runs and walks.