TOM and Weight loss - The solution

Options
I keep seeing women on here complain about TOM and how they see the scale fluctuate all the time.... I have the solution.

THROW

AWAY

YOUR

SCALE.

I'm serious. Weight means LITERALLY NOTHING. If you want to track numbers, track your body composition. Body Fat percentage is the only number that matters. You all are so tied up on the number showing on your scale, but its totally irrelevant!

If you MUST know your weight, weigh once a month.

Stress is bad for weight loss, as numerous studies have shown. Getting all stressed out about a number on the scale is not helping your efforts.

Eat healthy. Workout hard. You WILL get to where you want to be if you stick with it.

Replies

• tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing women on here complain about TOM and how they see the scale fluctuate all the time.... I have the solution.

THROW

AWAY

YOUR

SCALE.

I'm serious. Weight means LITERALLY NOTHING. If you want to track numbers, track your body composition. Body Fat percentage is the only number that matters. You all are so tied up on the number showing on your scale, but its totally irrelevant!

If you MUST know your weight, weigh once a month.

Stress is bad for weight loss, as numerous studies have shown. Getting all stressed out about a number on the scale is not helping your efforts.

Eat healthy. Workout hard. You WILL get to where you want to be if you stick with it.

agreed
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    AMEN!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

I have stopped weighing myself like a maniac every day. I now calm the *kitten* down and go by my clothes rather than numbers. I feel happier for it.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    But I just don't understand! It's like, I joined MFP but all my symptoms are the same as they were BEFORE I joined! I just don't get it!!! :sad:
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My solution is...stop talking about TOM! Just stop.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I WISH I could forget about the number on the scale, but it's just so hard!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    My solution is...stop talking about TOM! Just stop.

I.... can't..... resist................. DAMNITT!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    who's TOM? That dude who created MySpace? He's so 2006.
  • Tzipporah90
    Options
    Omg this thread may have just made my morning!! :) too funny
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    So what's the best way to track your body fat %?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I agree. Also, why is he on MFP? Did he gain a lot of weight when Facebook got popular?
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Are you actually <<gasp>> suggesting that we do something sensible and just get over it?
  • bry_all01
    Options

I agree. Also, why is he on MFP? Did he gain a lot of weight when Facebook got popular?

He MUST have! I mean, he probably got all depressed and ate gobs and gobs of ice cream and chocolate to comfort himself. What will Mark Zuckenberg do when Facebook hits the crapper, because MFP hit town???
  • didyb
    didyb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What an appropriate post for today!! I'll admit, I'm a daily weigher.... and was always so mad when I would eat right/exercise but still gain or at least not lose during TOM. However, I hang in there because I know the payoff will be a loss of anywhere from 2-4 pounds from pre TOM weight by the end of the week. It also helps me not totally binge the week prior when all i want to do is stuff everything I see in my face.:drinker:
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

depressive eating. it's so sad. and then Twitter came along... he's really let himself go. and the REALLY sad part is that no gym will let him join! apparently the sounds of the sobbing disturbs the other patrons.
  • momma_kathleen
    Options
    Thanks for some common sense encouragement!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Good point. Far too many women are hung up on using a scale measurement alone.

I don't agree with this though:
    If you want to track numbers, track your body composition. Body Fat percentage is the only number that matters.

If you want to know what your body composition is you have to track your scale weight and your BF%. You have no meaningful way of accurately gauging what your LBM is without knowing your scale weight as well. Obviously a 140lb man at 10% BF will look very different from a 190lb man at an identical 10% body fat.

Determining success by scale weight along is pretty pointless as is determining success by BF% alone.

Personally I don't bother about either. I go by how I feel, how I look, my strength levels and VO2 max (if I can be arsed, which is usually not.)
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    But I find it much more fulfilling to post a thread EVERY month asking people why I ate everything in the refrigerator, didn't get off my lazy butt and excercise and somehow I gained 2 lbs. There has to be something about this TOM that is making me do it, right? Validate me please?!
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    That is why my scale is MIA right now, I was weighing in everyday!
  • bry_all01
    Options
    Good point. Far too many women are hung up on using a scale measurement alone.

I don't agree with this though:
    If you want to track numbers, track your body composition. Body Fat percentage is the only number that matters.

If you want to know what your body composition is you have to track your scale weight and your BF%. You have no meaningful way of accurately gauging what your LBM is without knowing your scale weight as well. Obviously a 140lb man at 10% BF will look very different from a 190lb man at an identical 10% body fat.

Determining success by scale weight along is pretty pointless as is determining success by BF% alone.

Personally I don't bother about either. I go by how I feel, how I look, my strength levels and VO2 max (if I can be arsed, which is usually not.)

Whoooooosh!!! :laugh: