Couch to 5k???

Options
Good morning! I was wondering has anyone tried the Couch to 5K running program and if so, what were your results? My best friend and I just completed week 1 and we really enjoyed it. For those who don't know about the program, it is supposedly able to take you from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks. The trick is that it is done at a gradual pace. Neither one of us are couch potatoes (we work out 4-5 times a week) but we have never been able to conquer running. Any suggestions or testimonies? ANYTHING would help. Also, does running help get rid of that unwanted fat (I have about 25 lbs to lose and I am hoping that running will give me a boost). Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• shababy
    shababy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I was wondering has anyone tried the Couch to 5K running program and if so, what were your results? My best friend and I just completed week 1 and we really enjoyed it. For those who don't know about the program, it is supposedly able to take you from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks. The trick is that it is done at a gradual pace. Neither one of us are couch potatoes (we work out 4-5 times a week) but we have never been able to conquer running. Any suggestions or testimonies? ANYTHING would help. Also, does running help get rid of that unwanted fat (I have about 25 lbs to lose and I am hoping that running will give me a boost). Thanks! :happy:
  • LandBsdotingchauffeur
    Options
    I did it last May (after never being a runner. I played sports in HS, but never track/cross country etc) and the results are great. I'm still running...training for a half marathon, in fact next month. Ran 9 miles yesterday--all b/c one day last may I decided to try that program. I've lost almost 40 pounds and feel/look better than I have in years and years!!! :) Go for it!! I can't recommend it enough!!! :D
  • mamiof3
    mamiof3 Posts: 39
    Options
    What program are you referring to that is helping you train for that? I'd love to get the infor for myself. I have been running now and am thinking of doing a 5K in June. Any help would be great.
    Thanks.
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I got to the end of week 5 - it really works! Then I hurt my knee playing tennis. Oops.

I was going to do it again this year but it's still really cold plus they've ripped out the path for replacement and they're taking their time :( So hopefully in a month or two I can try it again.
  • fiddlechic
    fiddlechic Posts: 196
    Options
    I completed the program last year around this time and it actually worked. I lost 22 pounds in the process. I never had to repeat a week but i also listened to my body and didnt "run" I jogged bc thats what felt right. I think sometimes people focus on speed versus time. At the end of the 9 weeks I wasnt going 5k but I could get on the treadmill and jog for 30+ minutes. I ended up injuring myself doing something else and couldnt run anymore but now I'm ready to try it again. Where I live we have tons of races and I want to enter all of them!!

good luck, you'll totally be able to complete the program. just dont jump ahead even if you feel you can.
  • angievan26
    angievan26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I would also love it if someone could email me how to do this. I am a walker and running seems almost impossible to me but I know it would really help my lungs get in good shape as well as my heart. Someone please let me know how to do it.
  • amylou24
    amylou24 Posts: 365
    Options
    I am on week 4 right now and LOVE it! It has really helped my endurance. When I first starting running I would be really out of breath, but as I progress I've noticed its easier to breathe and for the first time yesterday, my legs were tired before my lungs were.

There is also a great podcast out there that a guy made that matches the beats per minute in the music to whether you are running or walking. He tells you when to start and stop too and it includes the warm ups and cool downs. There are actually several out there, but I really like this one:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html

Enjoy!!!
  • shababy
    Options
    OMG!!! Thanks for the replies. I am sooo excited now!!! Here is the link for anyone that's interested in learning more about the couch to 5k program. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    Today is the start of week 2 for me...wish me luck! :happy:
  • shababy
    Options
    I completed the program last year around this time and it actually worked. I lost 22 pounds in the process. I never had to repeat a week but i also listened to my body and didnt "run" I jogged bc thats what felt right. I think sometimes people focus on speed versus time. At the end of the 9 weeks I wasnt going 5k but I could get on the treadmill and jog for 30+ minutes. I ended up injuring myself doing something else and couldnt run anymore but now I'm ready to try it again. Where I live we have tons of races and I want to enter all of them!!

good luck, you'll totally be able to complete the program. just dont jump ahead even if you feel you can.

OMG! Your experience with the program was great. Thanks for getting me even more amped! :smile:
  • shababy
    Options
    I just started week 2 and I can totally feel my endurance strengthening! I am so excited about this program that I have recruited 3 other people to do the program with me. YAAAYYY Couch to 5k!