HELP ME... Eating at Local Mexican Restaurant for lunch

Options
So today I am meeting up with my sisters at Playa Azul, a local Mexican restuarant....I really dont want to be over my calories today....but I have a soft spot for yummy melted cheese and flour tortillas.
They dont have nutritional facts on their menus..........I NEED HELP, What do i order???

Replies

• MrsFusion
    MrsFusion Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I had the same question last week.

No chips! Grilled chicken & veggies. A serving of refried beans or mexican rice isn't too bad. Just make sure you exercise enough today and drink lots of water.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    order fajitas and each the meat an dveggies without a torilla - add a little chesse- not the best choice for a meal, but one of the best choices available for the situation!!!!

:) good luck- avoid the chips!!!!
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    Beware of the taco salad! lots of hidden calories in that. If they have a grilled chicken something that is usually pretty good, but don't eat the sour cream etc... have it with the salsa instead. Just avoid the fried and the cream sauces and you should be ok.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    I want some mexican!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I usually get Fajita's with CORN tortillas... cheese on the side, skip the rice and beans,and enjoy the fajitas with corn tortillas

or opt for a light dinner and enjoy your flour tortillas
  • suse56
    suse56 Posts: 30
    Options
    I usually get a veggie or chicken burrito. I get it stuffed with veggies too. Then I usually only eat 1/3-1/2 or it and take the rest home to my husband. Have fun!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything loaded with cheeses or smothered in a sauce.. limit your chip intake (if they serve chips & salsa before your meal) and I think you should be fine! Hope you enjoy! :drinker:
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Mexican food, and we go often. You can order fajitas and eat the meat without the tortilla, or order corn tortillas instead of flour. Skip the chips, cheese, sour cream if you can. Meat, guacamole, salsa are all okay. Oh.....and I never skip my rita!
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken tacos arent too bad!!
  • Kabula
    Kabula Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    have the corn tortilla tacos with grilled chicken, pico de gallo--no sour cream nor cheese!
  • kalisious
    kalisious Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You could opt for a soft corn tortilla versus a flour tortilla. If you can't give up the cheese maybe ask for it on the side (as well as the sour cream and guac) and then you can control how much you use.
    If you're worried about calories try to avoid dishes with creamy sauces or ask for them without!
    You could also ask for black beans to subsitute for meat!
    ALSO! If you can help it try to resist the free chips and salsa that they offer! The fried corn chips are very calorie dense!
    Whatever choices you decide-- make sure they still allow you to enjoy your meal! :)
  • loisann221
    Options
    I get the veggie fajitas and asked for no tortillas. I knew that if they brought out the tortillas there was no way I would resist! I also love guacamole and cheese and all those condiments that kill your calorie goal, but I also love salsa verde. Adding the side of salsa verde gave me the big flavors I love without the calorie overload.

Pop a piece of sweet gum just before you go into the resturant to avoid munching on chips and salsa before your meal arrives. While I did eat a few chips just before the food was served, chewing gum helped keep me busy while everyone else was chowing down on chips. Pick a flavor that would really taste bad when mixed with salsa!
  • Jean410
    Jean410 Posts: 104
    Options
    seafood soups... may have higher sodium but lower calories.
    Unless you prepare mexican food at home, it's almost always loaded w/ calories and fat.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    If they have fish, that's a good way to go. Order it with no sauces and squeeze some lemon juice on it.