calorie/macro levels while strength training

Options
Hi everyone, I'm starting strength training this week and wondering where I should be as far as calories and macro levels. I've heard many different things about dietary needs while strength training, ("you can't build muscle while eating at a deficit", etc.) and since I'm very new to strength training, I have no idea what's true and what isn't.

Currently, my calorie level is at 1390 (MFP goal of losing .5 lbs per week) and macros are at 50%C / 25%F / 25%P. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason to my macro levels, other than that I like carbs. So far I've lost 16 pounds at these levels so they are working for weight loss, but not sure if they'll work for toning up. Do either of these need to change? Thanks in advance for helping a lifting beginner out!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, but a little farther along in the research category. From what I've read, definitely up your calories and protein... aim for 1g of protein per pound.

You may be able to make VERY minimal gains while being on a deficit, but if you're really looking to add muscle (mass), then you need to up your calories.

Eat a moderate surplus, get plenty of protein, eat reasonably clean, and let the rest fall into place. After that, it's all about patience and dedication.

For comparison's sake, here's where I'm at right now:
    - 169lbs
    - 2000 calories per day (may up that, playing it by ear at this point)
    - 200g protein
    - 150g carbs
    - 67g fat

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    You don't need to change anything in particular.

As you progress through your journey, if you eat a plateau and/or as you do more and more strength training, you will probably want to cut carbs a bit, and up proteins - you're a long way away from this though.

You can build muscles on a calorie deficit also, just not as much as if you were eating like 10 people (logical eh?). You will at least maintain your muscles by exercising (thus the importance of exercising regularly), which is desirable anyway.

EDIT: Carbs get converted into proteins, and although the guy above is right, his advice is aimed at optimising muscle building/fat loss. Though, please, please, just make sure you are working out regularly before you change the ratios (don't try to be perfect on day 1, it's impossible, don't try to change all your habits, this just makes things more difficult).
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You can build muscle in a deficit as long as your protein is high enough and you work your butt off.

1g of protein per pound of bodyweight (or more) is the rule of thumb. Carbohydrate minimum 100g/day and fat minimum of 40g/day.

You can check my sig for my ratios.

For lifting, look into beginners programs such as Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Stronglifts website looks like some kind of scam, but it's legit according to many sources.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation, but a little farther along in the research category. From what I've read, definitely up your calories and protein... aim for 1g of protein per pound.

You may be able to make VERY minimal gains while being on a deficit, but if you're really looking to add muscle (mass), then you need to up your calories.

Eat a moderate surplus, get plenty of protein, eat reasonably clean, and let the rest fall into place. After that, it's all about patience and dedication.

so...much...protein! oh well, I do love a good steak. Thanks for the tip, and I like your signature! I'm trying to get to "how you doin'?" as well. Or at least turn a few heads at the beach. A girl can dream, right? :laugh:
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    EDIT: Carbs get converted into proteins, and although the guy above is right, his advice is aimed at optimising muscle building/fat loss. Though, please, please, just make sure you are working out regularly before you change the ratios (don't try to be perfect on day 1, it's impossible, don't try to change all your habits, this just makes things more difficult).

Carbs do not always get converted into proteins. They are made up of competely different 'building blocks,' and although some conversion can take place in the case of severe deficits, many amino acids cannot be synthesized by the body and thus it is essential that you ingest proteins.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip! I am definitely going to transition slowly. I'm already at my goal weight and it's October in Maryland, so there's really no rush to get a perfect beach body next week. For now, I adjusted my carbs down and my protein up, and added 20 cals bringing me to 1400 daily. If this doesn't work, I'll adjust as necessary!