The Paleo-Diet: Not The Way To A Healthy Future

Options
by BARBARA J KING

In a few days, the world's population will reach 7 billion. Only a tiny fraction of this number still makes a living by hunting and gathering, the way all our ancestors did before about 12,000 years ago.

According to a set of claims relentlessly pushed in some books and blogs, as many modern humans as possible should adopt a hunter-gatherer diet. That is, we should eat lean meat and vegetables because our Paleolithic hunting-and-gathering ancestors did. At the same time, we should refuse dairy, grains and sugars because our hunting-and-gathering ancestors didn't eat these items.

You might think that, as an anthropologist, I'd greet this embrace of the human prehistoric past with unalloyed delight, especially in a country where a high percentage of our population is evolution-averse. Like most anthropologists, though, I don't think there's good science behind these claims

It's best to clarify right off that leaders of the paleo-diet movement don't think monolithically. Lean meat and veggies take center stage, but the emphasis may vary in details such as how much seafood to eat. A look at the current issue of Paleo — a magazine devoted to "modern primal living" — indicates that, in addition to food, paleo-faddists think hard about exercise and lifestyle choices.

Some of them, in fact, take a paleo-lifestyle to startling lengths. In profiling this "modern-day Stone Age subculture" and its leaders, Arthur de Vany and Loren Cordain, the German magazine Der Spiegel interviews disciples who run through the undergrowth and eat wild boar in explicit emulation of their Paleolithic forebears.

When I've interacted online with paleo-diet fans, though, I've found the great majority to be measured and thoughtful. With them, I worried aloud about the consequences of urging even more carnivory than we've already got. Largely, but not 100 percent, a vegetarian, I don't tell others what to eat. But the paleo-movement seems to doom (even if unintentionally) more animals to life and death in factory farms. A greater percentage of grain crops would also be diverted to rich countries' animals and away from poor countries' people.

What I learned is that some paleo-dieters reject the eating of animals from factory farms. Some don't eat much meat at all, focusing instead on avoiding grains and sugary foods. So no one should dismiss these people as blind fanatics. But do their core beliefs accord with good science?

Many nutrition scientists give the paleo-diet a thumb's down. They worry about its dearth of carbohydrates, its cost, its impracticality, and the fact that its boasts for good health are medically unproven. For my part, I'll focus on the paleo-anthropology.

Our ancestors began to eat meat in large quantities around 2 million years ago, when the first Homo forms began regular use of stone tool technology. Before that, the diet of australopithecines and their relatives was overwhelmingly plant-based, judging from clues in teeth and bones. I could argue that the more genuine "paleo" diet was vegetarian.

More worrisome are persistent attempts to match a modern diet to an "average" Paleolithic one, or Loren Cordain's insistence that "we were genetically designed to eat lean meat and fish and other foods that made up the diet of our Paleolithic ancestors."

Here's where science most forcefully speaks back. First, ancient hunter-gatherer groups adapted to local environments that were regionally and seasonally variable — for instance, coastal or inland, game-saturated or grain-abundant (eating grains was not necessarily incompatible with hunter-gatherer living). Second, genes were not in control. People learned what worked in local context for survival and reproduction, and surely, just as in other primates, cultural traditions began to play a role in who ate what.

In short, there was no single hunter-gatherer foraging strategy, and genes no more "designed" our eating behavior than they designed our language or our ways of relating between the genders.

I'm left wondering what's the payoff to be had for pushing a popular diet as rooted in a mythically homogeneous, predictable human past. The lure of a good story may play a role. It's a mighty powerful image: our ancestors roaming over the landscape, perfectly in tune with their bodies and the environment. Some of my anthropologist colleagues refer to this pining for a pristine past as a paleo-fantasy.

It's not paleo-fantasy that's going to help us negotiate a healthy future, the 7 billion of us together, on this environmentally-endangered planet.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/10/27/141666659/the-paleo-diet-not-the-way-to-a-healthy-future?sc=fb&cc=fp

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I thought this article was interesting since I've seen so many people adopting the Paleo diet recently. Of course, it's an opinion piece, but a lot makes sense. For myself, I could never eat as much meat as the Paleo diet would like. I'm not a vegetarian, but I do only eat small amounts of meat, maybe once or twice a week.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It has crossed my mind before how they KNOW what cavemen ate - charcoal cave drawings?
  • manifestinghappiness
    Options
    Great article. Thanks for sharing. I eat mostly vegan, but will include some seafood or wild game once in awhile. I've been curious about the paleo craze, and wondering if maybe I'm not eating enough meat. This reaffirms my instincts...I feel great when I stick primarily to plant based foods, so I must be doing something right. I, too, have large concerns regarding the commerical meat farming practices and its environmental impacts.
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    what about things like scurvy, malnutrition, or starvation in times of famine... all of these things our paleo ancestors probably experienced. so should we experience them too?
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I've been curious about this diet as I hear more and more people are doing it. It's definently not for me though.. no cheese or beer? NO THANKS!! :noway:
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love meat. Morning noon and nighty night.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Not to worry people, the chances everyone adopts a more natural lifestyle is pretty much nil and expect Monsano, Pfizer, Nestle etc to look after us going forward. j/k
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Grains allowed humans to populate the earth. Now that there are 7 billion of us, we're kind of stuck with them.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth considering that although the hypothetical 'paleolithic human' might have had a diet made up primarily of meat and vegetables, with minimal grains, etc., the average number of calories available per day to this hypothetical person was probably a fraction of what modern paleo adherents consume. Thus modern paleo diets most likely do not approximate this ideal at all closely, extreme calorie-restriction diets probably come closer. So unless the paleo craze also combines severe caloric restriction and intermittent periods of fasting (I know some people do just this), it is not actually very relevant at all to anything ancestral, and is (IMO) more a romantic justification for eating excess amounts of meat.
  • shannon877
    shannon877 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do try to stick to an 80-20 paleo diet. So it's not as strict as most of you are believing that it is.
    It's not about being "ANTI-grains and dairy." It's more about getting things that are close to their original state.
    Grains now are NOTHING like what they used to be. They are stripped down to a fraction of their former nutritional value.
    I don't eat excessive amounts of meat... This is not an Atkins diet, with people chomping on bacon and pork rinds all day.
    Gross.
    I practice intermittent fasting on the mornings that I don't go to Crossfit, and that's what works for me.
    Many paleo people do enjoy dairy... but it is unpasturized, NATURAL whole milk and cheese that is from an actual grass-eating, happy, free-roaming cow. I am lactose-intolerant, so I have always avoided dairy. It wasn't that big of a deal for me.
    It is more expensive, with the purchase of grass-fed beef, pork, & poultry, and wild salmon and fish, but I can afford it because I'm not going out to eat as much as I used to.
    Don't be so hard on us paleo peeps... I was once one of you, eating strictly vegetarian, but since I've been doing this I feel 100% better, and I've lost 17 lbs in the past 5 months.
  • Timdog57
    Timdog57 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This article is complete hogwash... She never actually provides any evidence or decent arguments to support her hypothesis, and she doesn't even have her facts straight about what Paleo is (or the arguments for it). If this woman is a scholar, I suggest she take a writing 102 class to learn how to write an essay cause this is extremely poorly written.

I would suggest that if you don't know anything about Paleo, and have an interest in knowing about Paleo, you not use this article as your source of information. If you've been wondering about Paleo, go find some information about it.
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    hahahaa! :D She did very little research and is probably a veggie. I eat a Paleo template diet (as there is NO single Paleo diet). This way of eating has literally saved my life. I eat more eggs than meat, I think...hehe I feel better than I ever have in my entire life, and I look amazing. I literally wake up ready to JUMP out of bed most days. I have muscles and energy. I feel peaceful and happy. My kids have a health that I never thought that we could. If you're interested in finding out some real information on a Paleo template lifestyle, check out some people that have done real research and live it. Do whatever floats your boat and allows you to be the happiest, HEALTHIEST person that you can be. If meat makes you ill, and you can be Bob Harper (total veggie, but healthy and ripped)---then God bless you and I support you! But seriously, don't bash a lifestyle that encourages you to eat whole real food and move when there are so many other genuinely crappy diets out there.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed reading that, thanks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of the paleo diet before coming to this site, and admittedly I still know little about it because all the links I've seen are to some guys blog where everything is written in a very sarcastic and "holier-than-thou" tone which I find to be a huge turnoff. But some things that have struck me is that it seems to draw mostly those who have to limit carbs and/or grains due to disease (insulin resistance, celiac, pcos, etc.). Also, that they become very passionate about it and irritated with those that don't follow it (this may be from reading the sarcastic blogs too much).

But I don't think it's necessarily an unhealthy diet, especially if you do have one of the diseases mentioned. I just don't get the whole concept of wanting to eat like a caveman, when nothing else in our lives is similar to a caveman lifestyle. I mean, I'm quite sure I don't need the same type of diet to sit here at this desk all day that a caveman (or woman) would have needed for their lifestyle.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This article is complete hogwash... She never actually provides any evidence or decent arguments to support her hypothesis, and she doesn't even have her facts straight about what Paleo is (or the arguments for it). If this woman is a scholar, I suggest she take a writing 102 class to learn how to write an essay cause this is extremely poorly written.

I would suggest that if you don't know anything about Paleo, and have an interest in knowing about Paleo, you not use this article as your source of information. If you've been wondering about Paleo, go find some information about it.

well said.

the OP is a self proclaimed vegitarian. Dear OP, please go post your hate speech and rants about things you know nothing about somewhere else. This nutrition thread is not the place to muse about human "evolution" and anthropology.

MMMMMMMMm meat.
    and btw,
    many cultures still enjoy eating "paleo" even if they don't know what the new terminiology is. I take huge offense that you seem to think only primitive third world nations eat in a hunter gatherer lifestyle, and post this article that has that slant. In my culture, paleo eating is a way of life that I am happy to see many people around the world finally recognizing as a healthy and wonderful alternative to starvation through eating nothing but fruits and veggies, or the SAD. And yes, in America, most indiginous tribes outlaw alcohol because they see it's ill effect on the body as well as the tribe. I am glad at least one lifestyle diet aknowledges alcohol's ill effects on the body and the diabetes a diet high in carbs and processed foods causes. Cheese and creams are permitted as are nuts, seafood, meats, veggies....

Paleo, caveman, Low carb, what every you call it, it works and it's healthy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, please go post your hate speech and rants about things you know nothing about somewhere else.

Since when is sharing a diet related article that you find interesting "hate speech" or a "rant"?
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Um, what?? Hate speech? It's a freaking article from NPR. I didn't write it, and I stated I was NOT a vegetarian. Someone needs to learn to read...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Dear OP, please go post your hate speech and rants about things you know nothing about somewhere else. This nutrition thread is not the place to muse about human "evolution" and anthropology.

Wow.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm all for letting the CW way of eating continue for most of the world. That leaves more meat for me!

What the author of the article failed to mention is that if you are truly 100% primal or paleo, you are getting your eggs and meat from local producers or raising them yourself and not buying from big factory farmers or grocery stores. You are eating grass fed meats without the antibiotics and hormones and you are eating raw, unpasturized, fresh dairy if you do dairy. You get your fruits and veggies from the farmer direct or a CSA or grow them yourself.