shoe recommendations?

Options
staceyw37
staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
i'm looking for cross trainer suggestions.

i have decent arches and narrow heels. i mostly walk but the exercise dvd's i do have a lot of lateral mvmt too and the walking shoes are not supportive enuf. i also do light jogging.

any recommendations? any particular stores/sites you shop?

tia--:flowerforyou:

Replies

• staceyw37
    Options
    i'm looking for cross trainer suggestions.

i have decent arches and narrow heels. i mostly walk but the exercise dvd's i do have a lot of lateral mvmt too and the walking shoes are not supportive enuf. i also do light jogging.

any recommendations? any particular stores/sites you shop?

tia--:flowerforyou:
  • Frost
    Frost Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    do you have Fred Meyer in your area?
  • staceyw37
    Options
    nope. we have target, walmart, big 5 sporting goods and other majors.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Nike.com! I suggest not getting shox though because in my experience they cause you to loose your balance. I use their running shoes mostly but I have had a couple of their cross trainers and I really liked them... good luck! :happy:

~Leash
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For cross training, I like New Balances - - very light-weight, well-fitting.

For running, I like Aesics - light weight and really supportive.
  • wildesca
    wildesca Posts: 10
    Options
    new balance any shoe with a number of 700 or higher. The higher the number of the shoe the more motion control they have. At 700 or higher you get a very high quality motion control shoe that is great for almost anyone. Especially good for cases like yours or for planter faschitis.
  • thincindi
    Options
    You should really take the time to go to a running store. More than 50% of Americans over-pronate. This means you walk on the outside of your foot. It's really obvious by looking at the wear pattern on your shoes. They should wear right in the middle of the ball of your foot and the middle of your heel. If not, it's best to get "fit" for your first pair. They have shoes that can help correct over-pronation. Lucky for me, I am one of the few who doesn't have that problem, but I went to the store anyway. They take a short exercise history and then put you in various shoes and have you walk/run/jog or whatever you are planning to do on a treadmill. They video-tape your feet as you do this and then can analyze your foot movements. I tried on 3 pairs that don't correct for over-pronation and one caused my feet to wiggle, one made my toes scrape the ground, and one fit just right. The shoes were $100, but they are my workout shoes and worth keeping my knees/back/ankles from hurting. Don't go anywhere where the cost of the "fit" isn't free. Of course they will jack up their prices a bit, but once you've found the perfect shoe the first time, you can find it online probably much cheaper.
  • lreilly16
    lreilly16 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks ThinCindy. However, I think I roll my ankels inward and walk on the sides of my feet. I started to get a pain on the side of my left leg (in between my shin and my calf). It starts around 5-10 minutes into my workout, and is becoming a real pain. Any suggestions?
  • adnama
    adnama Posts: 34
    Options
    Under Armour has a good pair of shoes for your problem. Look for the STABILITY shoe. You can find them at Lady Foot Locker, Finish Line, or Under Armour.com. I use them for my workouts, and they help alot. Everyone is different, of course. I had horrible leg pain before I bought the proper shoes. Now, I'm pain free!

Good Luck!
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I recommend going to a running specialty store. I finally went to one on Friday, and the experience was AWESOME. I told them what I was looking for, what problems I had, etc. and they watched me walk a couple yards, then jog a couple yards. They measured the length and width of my feet and then came back with 2 pairs of shoes to try on. Both shoes fit PERFECTLY and I simply had to choose one of the two. It was soooooooo much better than trying on a gazillion pairs of shoes and having to repeatedly ask for another pair or size to try on.